Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-10-2013, 07:42 PM   #1

Question about building & installing booth

I've found a used 5ver (Jayco Designer) I really like, but it has the table and 4 chairs that so many of them have now days. My wife want's the booth type seating for the eating area, but I'm finding that these are very rare in the Jayco Designer. A booth type seating doesn't seem to be that hard to build or to install, but I"m not sure about the table for the booth. Has anyone ever done this? Or does anyone know if they would be available to buy and install? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
T4TN is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-10-2013, 08:48 PM   #2

We did a search on Google under "rv dining booth". Quite a few places come up and it appears you can buy everything from just the pedestal (and build your own table) to complete sets. This place can at least give you some ideas: Booth Dinettes - Bradd & Hall
You might also see if there are any RV parts sellers within driving distance in your area. We have see some that have just about anything to build an RV from the ground up (almost). We have had both styles of dining set ups and they both have their good and bad points. Depends on what you are comfortable with. Good luck with your project.
AdirondackJa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 10:36 AM   #3

Thanks for the reply. I did also do a google search and found the same site, but i was thinking though that some one may have built and installed them themselves to same money. it looks pretty simple, except the table pedestal that would lower to make a Child's sleeping area guess I'll give it a shot and see what i can figure out.
Old 07-11-2013, 04:59 PM   #4

I have not built a booth dinette, but it isn't that hard to do. When it comes to the cushions, find a foam shop, they will have different densities and thicknesses of foam and can cut them to whatever sizes you need. They will also have the right fabrics and if you don't like what they have, look at the upholstery fabrics in a fabric store.

In my current rig, I have a 6ft wide sofa with built in end tables that fits the entire width of the trailer. Two lower storage compartments 36x30x15 plus two smaller ones behind the seat backs and two more under the end tables. Had to build it in three pieces to get it to slip behind the slide-out trim on both sides. In my previous unit I built a similar 6ft sofa, a U shaped office area with two desks plus a table extension that served as a dining table. Finished unit was 11 ft long that filled the entire main slide out and again built in three pieces to fit thru the door.

If you make the dinette a sleeper unit, then all cushions need to be same thickness and density of foam. Otherwise, the seat backs can be thinner and lighter density than the seat bottoms. There are two main types of table supports, the pedestal mount and wall mount (with hinged leg). Disadvantage of the pedestal mount, when using it as a sleeper, then the pole has to be stored. Disadvantage of the wall mount is finding the studs to firmly attach it to.

The advantage of building a booth dinette yourself, you can make it fit your needs, maybe a magazine rack on the back or a place to store cereal boxes or ?? Rather than having to lift up the seats for storage, maybe doors on the ends and large plastic boxes that can be pulled out. Normal drawers are not only difficult to make, they waste a lot of space behind, beside and below them. Good luck.
dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 06:21 PM   #5

It goes by quick but here is a build I found. Had a u couch before we switched.
Old 07-11-2013, 08:32 PM   #6

When we built a booth dinette for our MH, we did the table with a wall mount (which we bought at a RV supply store) which could be lowered into the bed position. Did the top out of a piece of oak plywood (doubled), and trimmed it out with wood moulding from Home Depot. IMHO, much prettier than the stock table tops. We're very happy with it. Good luck with your project.
danandcarol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 04:10 AM   #7

Thanks for the replies and the ideas on a booth. I have a friend that's very good with wood and making things. He builds adirondack chairs. I'm sure this would be an easy project for him.
Old 07-12-2013, 06:34 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCooke View Post
It goes by quick but here is a build I found. Had a u couch before we switched.

That is definetly what I'm looking for, with the exception being a center pedestal mount since there is a window in the dining location. Thanks!