Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-02-2008, 01:28 PM   #1

Hope I posted this in the right area, just wandering about running the Blue Ridge Parkway from Cherokee N.C. to Fancy Gap Virgina. Just wandering about the Clearance trough the tunnels that I might incounter. I have not messured the hieght of the 5th wheel yet but I think it is about 12'6", just wandering if anyone has taken this route with a 5th wheel tagging alone

Thanks

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-02-2008, 01:28 PM   #2

Hope I posted this in the right area, just wandering about running the Blue Ridge Parkway from Cherokee N.C. to Fancy Gap Virgina. Just wandering about the Clearance trough the tunnels that I might incounter. I have not messured the hieght of the 5th wheel yet but I think it is about 12'6", just wandering if anyone has taken this route with a 5th wheel tagging alone

Thanks

Old 07-02-2008, 02:42 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Just4tfun,

THIS SITE

may help you.
ParTheCourse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 03:26 PM   #4

Thanks for the info
Old 07-03-2008, 04:56 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Most tunnels would not be a problem, just hug the center line where possible. most tunnels are very short. However be prepared for a long trip, the speed limit is 45 most of the way, if you can do that pulling the hills. Also not worth traveling unless you can stop at pullouts to view the country. Most pullouts you can stop on if its not too full. Lastly make sure everything is in good shape as there is no commercial facilties on the parkway and if you need to get off, some of the off ramps take you on roads that you almost need a 4x4.
All said, it is a beautiful drive, I've done it a couple of times in a car and would do it again if the opportunity arose. HAPPY MOTORING.
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 05:37 AM   #6
Administrator in Memoriam

Appalachian Campers
Click here for tunnel information.

Also, consider these detours:

Milepost 367.6 to 355.3 Asheville Area

A rock slide and roadway failure has closed the Parkway to all activities including foot traffic and bicycling between the entrance to Craggy Gardens Picnic Area and the entrance to Mt. Mitchell State Park. The picnic area is accessible driving north from the Asheville area and the state park is accessible via the NC Highway 80 entrance to the Parkway. This road closure will remain in effect until late spring 2009.

Milepost 285.5 to 291.8 Boone/Blowing Rock Area
Goshen Creek Bridge repair has closed the Parkway between US Route 421 east of Boone, NC and US Route 321 south of Boone. The detour will begin for visitors traveling south at milepost 285.5, Bamboo Gap. Visitors will follow state road (SR) 1514 Bamboo Road to Deerfield Road, following the detour signs along US Route 321 south of Boone then connecting back to the Parkway at milepost 291.8.

Visitors traveling north will begin the detour at milepost 291.8, intersection US Route 321; follow the detour signs along US321 to state route 1514 Deerfield Road to Bamboo Road which will bring them back to the Parkway at milepost 285.5. The total detour is estimated to be approximately 8 miles. Bridge repair is anticipated to be complete by late December 2008.

Milepost 105.8 112.2 Roanoke Area

Beginning in January 2008 and continuing until December of 2008, the Parkway between US 460 and VA Route 24 in Roanoke will be intermittently detoured/closed for repairs to the Glade Creek bridge. These closure will be in place between 9:30 PM and 5:30 AM and visitors will be made aware of the closures through local media and signs. The Parkway will remain open during the daytime hours, although with intermittent one lane closures.
Old 07-03-2008, 05:37 AM   #7

Last April we went to Dollywood and Asheville, NC to see the Biltmore estates (a must see) and then wanted to take the Blue Ridge north. We were warned about the very long steep grade up from Asheville and that we should not try it towing our toad. It did not matter anyway as we found out the road was closed for repair. We found out several sections were closed. I would suggest you call the NPS before heading that way and ask about road closures. We took our jeep and went northeast on I40 to Marion and took rt80 north to the BRP. Funny thing was the sign warning that trucks should not use rt80. Coming back the NPS sign said RVs should not use the exit onto rt80. DO NOT TAKE RT80 IN AN RV. The part of the parkway we were on was a two lane county (read small lanes) roadway with very small shoulders in spots. Route 441 in the Smokies was a far better road than this was, and we used the jeep there. Took I40 across the mountain from I81. I have traveled a lot of the east coast and thoughout the Rockies in Co, Wy and Mt but to me this would not have been a fun drive in the MH towing. This is just my humble opion. We ended up taking I26 north to I81 to come home.

Edited. You will note that HitchHiker and I posted at the same time. He did a great job of listing the closures.
Old 07-03-2008, 02:03 PM   #8

hello and thanks to all for the replies, I must say thanks to this form and the kind people here I will not be takeing the Pkwy with the 5th wheel. I did not realize the 45 mph which I guess I could deal with .....However all the advisories on the road closeure and conditions, I don't need all those headaches. I was just looking for an easy way from Cherokee back to Intersate 40. I was kinda worried about the sharp turns that I would incounter going by way of Maggie Valley. I have taken my Motor Home down I think it was 19 to Maggie Valley last year and I remember there being a couple of sharp turns. I am new to the 5th wheel thing and it is about 38' in lenght and it really kinda scare's me pulling it. Thanks for all the great info and saveing me a lot of trouble. Sure would hate to go in a tunnel and lose a camper.

Have a great day and thanks again
Old 07-03-2008, 04:32 PM   #9

At your first opportunity buy a "Motor Carriers Road Atlas". Any road highlighted in yellow/orange is safe for large vehicles. It contains a wealth of information besides adequate roads for large vehicles.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 05:02 PM   #10

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by just4tfun:
I was just looking for an easy way from Cherokee back to Intersate 40. I was kinda worried about the sharp turns that I would incounter going by way of Maggie Valley. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Take 441 south from Cherokee to US 74 east. Divided 4 lane all the way to I-40