Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-10-2015, 10:16 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by 450Donn View Post
this idea forces the OP to one option. And it is not the best option out there. 17.5 inch J rated tires isby far a better option. Especially now when he has the choice at a reasonable cost
His options are clearly defined by the trailer manufacturer. Stick with the OE 16" LRG Goodyear Tires on 7000# axles or take the optional 8000# axles and 17.5" Goodyear tires.

The Goodyear G614 and G114 tires are both trailer tires.

FastEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-10-2015, 11:36 AM   #16

"H-Rated tires (17.5" rims) are lower in cost"

Simply not true in comparing GY "H" to GY "G" tires.

Old 12-10-2015, 11:41 AM   #17

I would go with the extra safety margin of the larger tires and 8K axles. Trailer tires have a tough life, so helping them by not being loaded as high percentage of max is beneficial.
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 12:20 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cummins12V98 View Post
"H-Rated tires (17.5" rims) are lower in cost"

Simply not true in comparing GY "H" to GY "G" tires.
When I upgraded to G114's from G614's, the sticker for the G614s was $374 each and the G114's were $317. That was 2008.

The tire market has changed. When I aged out the tires in 2014, the replacement G114s were $410. I didn't price G614s at that time.
Lots of RV Information at www.dmbruss.com
Dale & Mark Bruss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 05:56 PM   #19

Florida Cooters Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
Having a 5vr with 7K axles, 16" wheels and Goodyear 'G' tires
I would opt for 8k axles, 17.5" wheels and 'H' rated tires PLUS disc brakes.

Buy it all now at factory option and be done with it.
X2
We ordered our Lifestyle with the 8k axles, disc brakes and 17.5 wheel/tire set up. Our payload was increased by the manufacture 2k pounds due to the 8k axles.
Overkill really for our application but I did it for the safety margin.
I had the G614 tires on the previous fiver. I opted to go with the 17.5 set-up due to the lack of problems associated with them. You will rarely read of an issue with the 17.5 ties.....the G614 has an issue now and then. Plus the 17.5 tires are more widely available due to not only Goodyear being
a manufacturer BUT Continental, Michelin, and Hankook to name a few.
jdpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 05:59 PM   #20

Just reading on another forum one mfg is now using 17.5 inch tires as standard equipment.
450Donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 06:39 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastEagle View Post
Did the trailer manufacturer actually change the certification label to reflect a GVWR of 19100#?
Yes. The label on the front left side now says GVWR 19100.
rskeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 07:41 PM   #22

Evergreen Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdpm View Post
X2
We ordered our Lifestyle with the 8k axles, disc brakes and 17.5 wheel/tire set up. Our payload was increased by the manufacture 2k pounds due to the 8k axles.
Overkill really for our application but I did it for the safety margin.
I had the G614 tires on the previous fiver. I opted to go with the 17.5 set-up due to the lack of problems associated with them. You will rarely read of an issue with the 17.5 ties.....the G614 has an issue now and then. Plus the 17.5 tires are more widely available due to not only Goodyear being
a manufacturer BUT Continental, Michelin, and Hankook to name a few.
I thought the Life Style had 8k axles as standard. My Bay Hill coming off the line next Wednesday I ordered with factory upgrading it to the Life Style 8K axles and disc brakes with H rated tires. It would be standard equipped with 7 K axles.
Old 12-10-2015, 09:11 PM   #23

Florida Cooters Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by schrod View Post
I thought the Life Style had 8k axles as standard. My Bay Hill coming off the line next Wednesday I ordered with factory upgrading it to the Life Style 8K axles and disc brakes with H rated tires. It would be standard equipped with 7 K axles.
We ordered our 2014 at the end of Nov 2013. At that time, 7k axles were standard and 8k optional as were the disc brakes and 17.5 wheels - ALL stand alone options from each other.
jdpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 09:33 PM   #24

I too went to 17.5 and I no longer worry about wheels and tires like I used to. It only took one blowout w G rated tires.
Old 12-11-2015, 12:16 AM   #25

Thanks, everyone!

I'm finally getting back here to check responses. Thanks, everyone! Very helpful info. It sounds like the consensus is that we would be fine with G tires and 7000 axles, but it would not be overkill (and possibly safer) to go with the H tires and 8000 axles. Redwood offers as standard the G tires, but has the H tires as an upgrade. They're expensive, but we'll probably go with them. I did not know anything about 17.5 tires having a speed limit restriction. We'll ask about that. And I was also surprised that upgrading tires adds that much weight. But I think we'll be okay with weight.....some wiggle room. Thanks again, everyone!
Old 12-11-2015, 01:03 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by rskeans View Post
Yes. The label on the front left side now says GVWR 19100.
You’ve really got me curious now. You see, once we own the vehicle things are different. For the vehicle manufacturer and dealers, safety things are mandatory and NHTSA has huge monitory penalties for those that bend the rules.

To reestablish the GVWR a lot of things must happen. One that is often overlooked is the RV trailer manufacturer’s established hitch/pin weight. It’s a mandatory measurement in establishing GVWR. They can’t be wishy-washy about it, they Must publish it. (Sometimes - almost always - a GVWR increase that large will require a trailer hitch replacement).

The axle manufacturers’ established load capacity on their axle tag does not always reflect the vehicle manufacturer’s established GAWR for that axle.

All axle GAWR values depicted on the RV trailer’s certification label when added to the vehicle manufacturer’s hitch/pin weight MUST equal or exceed the trailers GVWR.

All tires at the time of first sale MUST be the same size as those listed on the certification label.

The vehicle manufacturer established hitch/pin weight is normally found in the sales brochure and in the vehicle owner’s manual.

Another thought, The mandatory cargo capacity label must also be changed to reflect the new cargo capacity.

All of that stuff is binding because you have a new certification label. Hopefully somebody was certified to do it and all the loop holes were properly threaded.

On edit: Found the hitch weight for a LS36FW. It's 2964#.
FastEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 07:16 AM   #27

"All tires at the time of first sale MUST be the same size as those listed on the certification label."
There must be hundreds of dealers facing severe penalties, maybe prison time, for upsizing the tires on a new trailers at the time of the 'first sale.' I can't imagine a more serious crime....the courts will be crowded as soon as NHTSA is made aware of these transgressions.
'09 F450--died, replaced with '10--retired
wingnut60 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 07:43 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddleddd View Post
We will need a 1-ton DRW, diesel. The GMC Sierra long bed dually will pull up to 22,600 lbs. That should be plenty, even with everything fully loaded. My husband used to work for General Motors, so we get a discount on the GM trucks. Thanks for your info!
What a truck can pull and what it can carry are two different things. You may be carrying north of 4k when loaded. Not saying the truck won't do it, but some will not if going by the specs. BTW that number above does not count the hitch, occupants over one, and anything else you put in the truck.

Tags
tires