Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-09-2015, 08:54 AM   #1

Question about G versus H tires

Hello everyone,
I read some threads on tires, but I'm just as confused as ever. We're getting ready to buy a Redwood fifth wheel, and we're not sure which tires to go with. The Redwood rep told us we didn't need H tires, but then he also said the following: "The H tires come with 8000 lb. axles.....they are bigger tires than the G's, and also have bigger rims and drums. Therefore they will stop better than G tires". ??? Really? He recommended either going with disc brakes and G tires or H tires without the disc brakes because they are supposed to enable us to stop better. Can someone please weigh in on this? Which tires would you recommend? The unit we're buying has a GVWR of 16,500 and comes with Falcon 7000 lb. axles. Thanks so much!
fiddleddd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-09-2015, 09:02 AM   #2

Personally I would be looking at the trailers GVWR. 7K axles should be more than suitable for a trailer GVWR of 15,000 or less. 8K axles would be suitable for most any RV heavier than that. Again, depending on weight ratings, I would probably go with 7K axles, disc brakes and as soon as I took delivery upgrade to 17.5 inch tires and wheels.

Edit,
Based on their trailers GVWR of 16.5K I think I would opt for the 8K axles but try to get disc brakes.
BTW, what are you going to tow that monster with? A MDT would be by far the best TV for that weight.
Old 12-09-2015, 09:59 AM   #3

We will need a 1-ton DRW, diesel. The GMC Sierra long bed dually will pull up to 22,600 lbs. That should be plenty, even with everything fully loaded. My husband used to work for General Motors, so we get a discount on the GM trucks. Thanks for your info!
fiddleddd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 10:09 AM   #4

GoodYear "G" rated tires will have PLENTY of capacity for your load. Request GoodYear!!!
Cummins12V98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 10:20 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddleddd View Post
Hello everyone,
I read some threads on tires, but I'm just as confused as ever. We're getting ready to buy a Redwood fifth wheel, and we're not sure which tires to go with. The Redwood rep told us we didn't need H tires, but then he also said the following: "The H tires come with 8000 lb. axles.....they are bigger tires than the G's, and also have bigger rims and drums. Therefore they will stop better than G tires". ??? Really? He recommended either going with disc brakes and G tires or H tires without the disc brakes because they are supposed to enable us to stop better. Can someone please weigh in on this? Which tires would you recommend? The unit we're buying has a GVWR of 16,500 and comes with Falcon 7000 lb. axles. Thanks so much!
Point to remember; Adding the 8000# axle option and the Goodyear G114 tires will not increase the trailer's GAWR of 7000# per axle unless they increase the GVWR (on the certification label) to 18500#.
FastEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 10:29 AM   #6

Disk brakes are best for the lack of need for adjustments, heat resistance, water rejection. Properly adjusted electric drum brakes have virtually the same stopping power as disk brakes, for a short while.

Having more stopping power in the trailer is always good as there is no provision in the pickup for stopping the trailer weight. The GCWR is based upon the trailer supplying its own braking power.

I believe is a high safety margin for tires. As a rule of thumb, I take the GVWR of the trailer and divide it ny the number of tires. That is the desired tire load rating I look for.

If buying quality tires, H-Rated tires (17.5" rims) are lower in cost that G-Rated (16" rims) because of quantity of manufacturing because the 17.5" are used on moving van trailers.
Lots of RV Information at www.dmbruss.com
Dale & Mark Bruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 10:34 AM   #7

IMO the best tire to use on any trailer 5th wheel or vehical is the tire recommended by the manufacturer of that trailer, 5th wheel or vehicle.
Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 10:55 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
IMO the best tire to use on any trailer 5th wheel or vehical is the tire recommended by the manufacturer of that trailer, 5th wheel or vehicle.
Trailer manufacturers are notorious for putting adequate, at best tires. Teton used to deliver with tire enough for the empty weight.

Motorhomes tend to be shod with correct sized tires because they are motorize vehicles.
Lots of RV Information at www.dmbruss.com
Dale & Mark Bruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 08:20 PM   #9

Having changed from 16" to 17.5" wheels/tires, I think either of the 2 ratings in a 17.5 will be plenty--you can also get a J rating in the 17.5s. With that weight, I would definitely order the 8k axles/17.5 wheels/tires and disc brakes--you won't regret any of this, and perhaps prevent having to upgrade later as I had to.
Joe
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 09:19 PM   #10

My non-optioned 5ver had a GVWR of about 16,500. With the 8000 lb axle option and disc brakes the GVWR went up to 19,100 lbs. A significant increase in safety margin. If you can swing it go for the 8000 lb axles and disc brakes.
Old 12-09-2015, 09:37 PM   #11

Having a 5vr with 7K axles, 16" wheels and Goodyear 'G' tires
I would opt for 8k axles, 17.5" wheels and 'H' rated tires PLUS disc brakes.

Buy it all now at factory option and be done with it.
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 09:04 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by rskeans View Post
My non-optioned 5ver had a GVWR of about 16,500. With the 8000 lb axle option and disc brakes the GVWR went up to 19,100 lbs. A significant increase in safety margin. If you can swing it go for the 8000 lb axles and disc brakes.
Did the trailer manufacturer actually change the certification label to reflect a GVWR of 19100#?

Only the vehicle manufacturer or certified vehicle modifier have that authority to do that.

It seems strange to me that a certified 16500# trailer's frame could be increased in GVWR to 19100# without reinforcement.
Old 12-10-2015, 09:10 AM   #13

Be careful with 17.5" LRJ tires. They are a lot of them that are European designed with a speed rating of 62 MPH. The TRA does not approve manipulations of weight/tire inflation pressures to exceed the MPH on any tires rated less than 65 MPH.
Old 12-10-2015, 09:11 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cummins12V98 View Post
GoodYear "G" rated tires will have PLENTY of capacity for your load. Request GoodYear!!!
this idea forces the OP to one option. And it is not the best option out there. 17.5 inch J rated tires isby far a better option. Especially now when he has the choice at a reasonable cost
450Donn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires