Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-11-2016, 05:44 PM   #1

Question about sanitizing water tank

I sanitized my water tank for the first time today. I watched a lot of you tube videos and thought I had it all figured out. I have a 57 gal fresh water tank, so, I put 1 cup mixture of Clorox bleach and water in the tank. I ran water through sink, shower, bathroom etc. Then I realized I forgot to isolate the hot water heater. That said, did I screw myself? Will the clorox bleach damage the hot water heater? Should I do anything to the hot water heater? Thanks in advance

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-11-2016, 05:56 PM   #2

No it will not harm the water heater. It needs sanitizing too. Let it set for a while then flush everything out until you can lo longer smell bleach. And btw, the bleach is not harmful to humans in the quantity used.

2013 Chevy Sonic Hatchback (Automatic)
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 06:00 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick1234 View Post
I sanitized my water tank for the first time today. I watched a lot of you tube videos and thought I had it all figured out. I have a 57 gal fresh water tank, so, I put 1 cup mixture of Clorox bleach and water in the tank. I ran water through sink, shower, bathroom etc. Then I realized I forgot to isolate the hot water heater. That said, did I screw myself? Will the clorox bleach damage the hot water heater? Should I do anything to the hot water heater? Thanks in advance
Nick1234
Wildtoad is correct.

If you think your fresh water tank and fresh water system need to be sanitized what makes you think isolating your water heater is a good idea?
Old 09-11-2016, 06:36 PM   #4

Sanitizing water heater is a good thing

Winterizing and pumping anti-freeze thru systems is when you want to isolate/bypass water heater
Old 09-11-2016, 06:45 PM   #5

Thank you all for your prompt response. I certainly appreciate it. By the way, the clorox smell was very faint. Is that normal, or should the smell be strong? I know the amount of clorox used was very minimal.
Old 09-11-2016, 07:03 PM   #6

That is normal. No problem in what you did. I usually do my system 2x per year.
Go Dawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 07:16 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
Nick1234
Wildtoad is correct.

If you think your fresh water tank and fresh water system need to be sanitized what makes you think isolating your water heater is a good idea?
I wasn't sure about sanitizing the hot water heater. Most of the videos I saw concerning sanitizing the water system suggested isolating the hot water heater. I'm still new to this RV world, so, still learning
Old 09-12-2016, 07:40 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Dawgs View Post
That is normal. No problem in what you did. I usually do my system 2x per year.
Go Dawgs
Why 2x per year?
Mine has only been been sanitized 2x in 15 years.
Once in 2001, when my coach was new to me, and once again in 2013.
Mel
'96 Safari, 148k miles
Old 09-12-2016, 08:28 AM   #9

Mid Atlantic Campers
Carolina Campers
Send a message via Skype™ to Tugboat
I do mine once a year as part of the dewinterizeing the RV. I isolate the hot water heater for the antifreeze and drain and flush out. In spring place plug in HW tank open bypass and flush out the whole system including the tank then do a sanitize the whole system. If you fill with city water your tank and system will be fine if you fill with well water and let sit you will want to sanitize more often.
Tugboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 07:41 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
Sanitizing water heater is a good thing

Winterizing and pumping anti-freeze thru systems is when you want to isolate/bypass water heater
Yep! Saving the anti-freeze is the only time we bypass the water heater too.

A little bleach mixture at the described ratio keeps the system fresh and clean.

Did same with our previous unit and still trouble free when we sold it 12 seasons later.
Old 09-12-2016, 07:44 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick1234 View Post
Thank you all for your prompt response. I certainly appreciate it. By the way, the clorox smell was very faint. Is that normal, or should the smell be strong? I know the amount of clorox used was very minimal.
As long as you can smell the bleach, you are good to go. Should be 1/4 cup bleach per 15 gals of fresh water capacity. If you stick to that ratio, you shouldn't have any issues including poor tasting water.
Old 09-12-2016, 10:13 PM   #12

I use city water at start of each season--drain FW tank, refill with city water, drain and refill to where I want the level for travel. Has worked very will for me since around the early 80s...well water, go the bleach route.
Joe
'09 F450--died, replaced with '10--retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 10:00 AM   #13

I do mine twice because gunk and bacteria will grow in the lines and tank. Just the stuff that is the city water system and in the water supply.

Go Dawgs is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water, tank