Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-10-2016, 10:11 AM   #1

Question for those that have solar panels on their rigs who put them away for the win

When I put my rig away, I disconnect all electrical but since I have a solar panel, I have to cover it so it will not cook the electrics..

What is the downside to having the solar panel keep the batteries charged all winter ?

Thanks
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-10-2016, 10:45 AM   #2
Community Moderator

If you have a solar controller that has a good 3 stage charger I don't see any downside. It should just keep the batteries at float voltage which will prolong their life.
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 12:29 PM   #3

I am assuming that in most good Rv's, a good 3 stage charger is standard..

So I shall try this winter. Thanks.
Old 10-10-2016, 02:06 PM   #4
Community Moderator

Will snow cover the panels? This could render them useless.
Old 10-10-2016, 02:12 PM   #5

Oddly enough, yes and no. There will be snow but it won't stay long. There is a nice breeze there.

They will stop when covered but kick in when it clears but the goal here is just to park the rig and walk away withjout having to cover tghe panel and disconnect the batteries..
Old 10-10-2016, 02:13 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by grassy View Post
When I put my rig away, I disconnect all electrical but since I have a solar panel, I have to cover it so it will not cook the electrics..

What is the downside to having the solar panel keep the batteries charged all winter ?

Thanks
Are you referring to the small solar panel that comes with a lot of RVs? If so, I dont believe that they put out enough amps to hurt anything, even over the winter.
Old 10-10-2016, 02:41 PM   #7
Community Moderator

Yes, that's a good point....if it's the little panel that's only about 12 inches square, it's not big enough to keep the batteries charged. You would want 50 or 100 watts minimum to ensure the charge is greater than the parasitic draws.

If your panel is tiny, and you have never seen the charge controller, you probably still want to disconnect the batteries to prevent any parasitic power drain from discharging the batteries.
Old 10-10-2016, 03:29 PM   #8

OR you can turn your Battery switch off if you are worried about over charging..

I store the 5th wheel inside when not in use with the battery switch in off position..
Rusty Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 11:48 PM   #9

I leave my batteries and solar on the entire time with no issues. Solar controllers are designed not to overcharge batteries.
Drewd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 05:29 AM   #10

It is either 100 or 160 watt panel. With the battery switch in the off position, you will still cook the electronics because the load has been removed so the unit goes into overdrive trying to charge it.

2 things I have found out.

1. If the batteries are a type you can fill, make sure they are topped up.
2. Crawl up top and look inside the junction box. Make sure the connections are clean and tight. Some RV'ers I know skip this important maintenance step every year or so I didn't know this was a step) , not realizing that the thermal expansion/contraction over time can loosen the connections inside the junction box. This can make for high-resistance contacts for the internal bypass diodes, which get hot enough in normal use, and can fail.

This year, the rig gets stores with the batteries connected.

Thanks
Old 10-12-2016, 05:39 AM   #11
IC2

The current 5er doesn't have solar panels but the last one had 2x100W panels. I pulled the two batteries and put in my shop with a Battery Tender, shut everything possible off, built plywood covers for each panel then completely covered the trailer. We can get lots of winter bad stuff so wanted to protect from that possible ice storm that could leave 1-2" of ice or that 18-24 inches of snow that can linger for 2-3 months if I can't get it off before it turns to a solid pack.
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 12:24 PM   #12
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by grassy View Post
It is either 100 or 160 watt panel. With the battery switch in the off position, you will still cook the electronics because the load has been removed so the unit goes into overdrive trying to charge it.

I would probably just install some disconnect switches on the inputs to the controller instead of getting up on the roof to cover the panels. Normally you need these disconnects anyway to do any sort of maintenance on the controller.
Old 10-14-2016, 01:37 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasdad1 View Post
I would probably just install some disconnect switches on the inputs to the controller instead of getting up on the roof to cover the panels. Normally you need these disconnects anyway to do any sort of maintenance on the controller.
Bingo. WE are on the same page

I first have to figure out where the electronics are for this but I quite agree and it is on my "to do" list when I pull it out of storage..it goes in on Tuesday.

Thanks..
Old 10-21-2016, 07:29 AM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Solar panels dont need to be disconnected or covered in the winter...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasdad1 View Post
Just so everyone knows- You don't need to cover your panels or do anything in particular- solar panels will not harm or "cook" any of your electronics if left not connected to a load. When the sun shines on them with no load they just develop a voltage but no current flows anywhere. That is just mis-information.

Scott Helmann
Senior Electronics Tech
SSG Scott is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
panel, solar, solar panel, solar panels