Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-28-2016, 07:45 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by dexters View Post
You have to follow the discussion. He's telling us about parking at a Walmart but admits he doesn't know what he is writing about!
Dude, just leave the thread, you add no value. Walmart, rest area, dirt road, forest, CG...the question concerned quick overnight staying, leveling and slide outs regardless of where.
Fishalaska1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-28-2016, 07:46 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtsum2 View Post
If it is level area and I'm just stopped for quick overnight, I will put the jacks down and manually get it level without disconnecting the fiver from the truck (assuming it can be done without lifting the pin on the hitch). Then deploy slides. Have to be careful as the jacks can certainly twist the frame and lift the truck up if u go too far. But if the parking spot is level or close to it to begin with, that's what I do. Same thing when I am unloading it at home after a trip
Good info.
Fishalaska1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 07:47 AM   #31
Community Administrator

Question for you professional travelers

Let's please knock off the personal exchanges here . Our Community Rules do not allow it. Every member is entitled to contribute their opinion in any area of the forum as long as it's on topic.
Thanks

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 08:03 AM   #32

Overnight road stays

Overnight with my Suites---
Have stayed many, many nights on the road in rest areas, WalMarts, wide areas on 2-lane roads, forest area, etc. If for the night only, I get the unit level, or close, side to side with boards. Then take a look at front to rear--usually, can tell before doing anything to level whether or not to even bother staying--if low in front, can level using the front jacks, up to the point the truck starts to lift. Then I ask the most important question: "DW, is this level enough for you?" If not, then I move a little. We do not enjoy staying somewhere that charges $25-$40 just to have a spot for the night and not using utilities. Sometimes we put up with off-level; sometimes we put up with noise from WM lot traffic, but that ok to save some $$ for something else.

Couple of pics--first near Baggs, WY; second north of Eagle, CO.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN4489.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	277.6 KB
ID:	142858   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN4491.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	426.0 KB
ID:	142859  

'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 11:12 AM   #33

We put down the front legs for stability because we have an andersen ball hitch and we put out the bedroom slide which is to high for cars to hit.

Our layout still gives us access to the fridge and pantry, both bathrroms and the bedroom with just that one slide out.
Old 10-28-2016, 12:22 PM   #34

Winnebago Owners Club
I have found that if you are able to park over the storm drain in the middle of the parking lot you can get very close to level by adjusting where you position the truck and trailer. Then the jacks only have to go down for stability prior to extending the slides. It is possible to find the "high spot" on the parking lot as well with the same result.
Old 10-28-2016, 12:48 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishalaska1 View Post
When traveling and you stop just for the night in a rest area or such, do you disconnect, drop jacks and fully level before sliding out rooms? Everything I read says it has to be level and jacks down so you dont break the slides.
Fishalaska1
I'm not a professional and I don't have a slide but wherever I overnight I either "park in a level spot" OR "use the leveling jacks"... to get my coach dead level.

Could that be why my now 20 year old Norcold 682 refrigerator in my now 148K mile coach still works perfectly?

BTW when I overnight in a rest area or a parking lot I seldom disconnect my toad before I level with the RVA jacks.

Mel
'96 Safari, '07 Saturn ION toad
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
travel