Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-08-2017, 09:12 PM   #1

Questions About A Few Things On A Fifth Wheel

Hey guys and gals, So I finally bought a fifth wheel. It's not brand new so I can't go ask the dealer. But I have noticed there is 2 water lines that run down that are just capped off? Curious to what these are for. I also noticed one of the valves is stuck out and won't go back in. I have tried to spray some penetrating oil in it with no luck. Any ideas how to fix it? The under body is completely closed in so. I have also noticed that one of the slides makes a slight squeaking noise something to worry about ? Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2055.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	289.0 KB
ID:	161156Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2056.jpg
Views:	265
Size:	238.8 KB
ID:	161157
Summit151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-08-2017, 09:22 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
They look like drains for the water system. The red is probably the hot water drain. Eddie Elk.
1998 Pace Arrow Vision 36' w/460, '03 Honda CRV, FMCA #388823, Gateway Getaways RV Club
eddieelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 09:23 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddieelk View Post
They look like drains for the water system. The red is probably the hot water drain. Eddie Elk.

That is what I originally thought but there is a separate water tank drain like with a valve on it. These lines have pressure on them when the pump is on
Old 05-08-2017, 09:30 PM   #4

The two drain lines are called 'low point drains', used for draining the plumbing system for winterizing. The valves for the low point drains should be found right above the drains inside the coach.
cruzbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 10:20 AM   #5

As cruzbill said, those red/white lines are the low point drains for the water supply system--if everything is working correctly, you take the caps off and the system should mostly drain for winterizing. If they are pressured when you take the caps off, then any shutoff valves are open and need to be closed until you want to drain the system. Being pressured may indicate there are no shutoff valves on the lines, don't know.
The other white drain line is only for the fresh water tank...if you are wanting to drain the fresh water tank, then a neat trick is to pump it out thru the low point lines, as it takes a maddeningly long time to gravity empty.
Which valve is stuck? 3" line or 2" line? If the smaller, it is the gray water tank drain; if the larger, it is the black water tank drain--either one is probably a replacement job, hopefully it is easily reachable. The valves can be found at any RV supply store.
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 02:32 PM   #6

Sometimes there is no valve to the drain lines. On my camper you just unscrew the caps when you winterize, they are the low point drains, one hot water one cold water. You normally have a valve for the fresh water tank
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 02:40 PM   #7

Are you sure that waste valve is stuck open? It looks like it has an extension on it and might be closed but look open due to the added length.
WildSide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 02:45 PM   #8

Agree...low point drains. You will have a fresh water tank drain as well. Some units even have a second set of low point drains depending on your set-up.

The valve most likely will need to be replaced as wingnut shared.

Slide squeaking should be easy to address with slideout lube (designed for that purpose). You can find it at your local RV store or maybe even Walmart. The attached has worked well for us.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170509_164447.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	43.4 KB
ID:	161261
Gigattime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 02:58 PM   #9

Was curious about slide out lube. One of mine is making some noise and is on my list of fixes.
Airmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 03:22 PM   #10

Ok thanks for suggestions, there is actually 3 drains. I did not show the black sewer drain in this picture. There must be 2 grey water drains
Old 05-09-2017, 06:13 PM   #11

My trailer has a galley tank, a bathroom grey tank, a black tank, and a fresh water tank......open a faucet with pump off to relieve system pressure.....some folke remove the low point drain caps ( be careful with them, they have a sealing washer inside and easy to lose) and add a couple 1/4 turn ball valves.....no caps needed
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 09:31 PM   #12

Welcome to the forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut60 View Post
As cruzbill said, those red/white lines are the low point drains for the water supply system--if everything is working correctly, you take the caps off and the system should mostly drain for winterizing. If they are pressured when you take the caps off, then any shutoff valves are open and need to be closed until you want to drain the system. Being pressured may indicate there are no shutoff valves on the lines, don't know.
The other white drain line is only for the fresh water tank...if you are wanting to drain the fresh water tank, then a neat trick is to pump it out thru the low point lines, as it takes a maddeningly long time to gravity empty.
Which valve is stuck? 3" line or 2" line? If the smaller, it is the gray water tank drain; if the larger, it is the black water tank drain--either one is probably a replacement job, hopefully it is easily reachable. The valves can be found at any RV supply store.
Somewhere there is probably a fresh tank overflow too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summit151 View Post
Ok thanks for suggestions, there is actually 3 drains. I did not show the black sewer drain in this picture. There must be 2 grey water drains
Yeah you didn't mention the trailer type / brand/ model. Is there a 2nd bath, vanity, washer, I'd suspect a second grey tank. Sometimes the bath and kitchen a separated. Some have luck using soapy warm water &/or vegetable oil down the drain and gently massaging the valve handle for a frozen gate. Better for a grey to be frozen open than closed.
J & J, DRV Suites ES-38RSSA #9679
GM Denali, 3500HD-Max, 4x CC, 8' DRW,
EZGo-TXT, Clubcar Precedent
MtnTrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 12:21 AM   #13

Do you have any friends with RV's that could possibly go over your trailer's systems with you? Sounds as if you need a little education on your trailer's systems.

For example, every owner needs to know how to winterize a RV. I always drain my hot water heater, adjust a bypass valve, and pump RV antifreeze throughout my cold and hot water piping. Once, I cut on the switch to the electric element to my hot water heater without any water in the tank--and burned out the element It's something anyone could easily do--but I knew better.

Modern fifth wheel and travel trailers have cable pulls on the black and gray water tanks--and some have numerous gray water tanks. Sometimes the cables require lubrication, and you may have to remove the side wall in the basement to get to the other end of the cables. Every trailer's different.

Having someone go over the water system, gray and black water plumbing would be an efficient way to learn what you're dealing with. Any RV dealer could educate you, however $100 per hour is too much to pay if you can find someone that knows their RV's that's willing to help you. Campgrounds have many people that know all about RV's and are often willing to help.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 11:38 AM   #14

Your picture shows a solid rod like mine so no cable involved. It also appears to be the gray tank since it is right at the 2" pipe. Are you sure it is shuck open? I'm assuming that you can't move it in either direction. Do you know if you have 2 gray tanks? Try running some water into each sink and have someone watch outside to see if water comes out. Stuck open is better than closed. You may have to drop part of the belly pan. That should be easy just some big screws. If the valve needs to be replaced it should be just 4 bolts to drop out the entire valve. If it is really stuck it sounds like the seal is bad and hanging things up.

After dropping the belly and tracing the rod and determining it is the gray tank and if it is stuck open or closed (Hope for open) you are looking at changing the valve. It will be messy if the valve is closed and VERY messy if it is the black tank.

Good luck and keep us informed.

Brad
bddadles is offline   Reply With Quote