Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 01-17-2010, 06:35 PM   #1
Questions on 5th Wheels

We have been looking for about 3 months at 5th wheels. We are going to be fulltimers. We have seen several that we really like, but all the information starts sounding the same ,but when it comes to the construction which i think is very important, Carriage (Cameo) Excel (Limited) & Nu-Wa (Hitch Hiker) seem to stand out for us at this time. Going to see New Horizons in February down in Casa Grande. Does anyone out there have any thoughts, are we going in the right direction?

Arlo & Becky
banderson55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-17-2010, 07:21 PM   #2
Everyone thinks the one they have is the best one. Just be careful what you get going full time - - some of them are not rated for full timing and it voids the warranty. Sounds like you are moving somewhat in the right direction. Start looking closer at things like frames - - who makes them? Are the slides and jacks hydraulic or electric? It is tough to beat the Carriage line in quality of materials, frame, unique designs, cabinetry, factory support and construction. Mine has been all over the country, Alaska, Mexico, Canada, Newfoundland - - it has been super. Don't just look at the glitsy stuff - - look into the construction - - that's what counts.

2003 Dodge HO 6 speed Laramie Dually, Jordan controller, RDS fuel tank, Air Ride 25K hitch
Carriage 36' fiver, Onan 6500, Prosine 2K inverter, 3 slides, MORyde IS and Kingpin
FiverBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 07:42 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The names you mentioned are all quality units. You might want to add Mobil or Select Suites to the list.

And a big Welcome to iRV2.

Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|Full-Time! - 2012 6.7L Ford Crew Cab Dually -2013 HitchHiker Champagne 38RLRSB - Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 08:38 PM   #4
I don't own one of these,but i hear heartland builds a nice 5th wheel.
trailer gone
2000 F250 7.3 4x4 4Dr SB
empty pockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 09:49 PM   #5
It totally depends on how much you have to spend. Far more important to me is how well I can do things inside the trailer. Like sitting on the toilet, or is there a place for a garbage can in the kitchen that is NOT in the aisle. Or can more than one person work in the kitchen. For me, one biggie was can I actually open the oven door and access it without being up side down? Go get comfortable in any trailers you look at. Get rid of the salesman for a 1/2 hour or so. Sit everywhere and see how comfortable it is to do the everyday things for you. Let that be your guide and you probably will not go wrong no matter what brand you choose.
BTW, Mobile Suites, is probably one of the best and most expensive today.
Next are also the likes of Forest River Cardinal, Cedar Creek, Keystone Montana and a whole bunch of others. Do your homework and do not get in a big hurry to purchase anything. Or be prepared to buy another unit in a couple of years.
Don and Lorri
2007 Dodge 3500 dually
Resident Dummy.
450Donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 04:32 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Ditto on the DRV fifth-wheels, Mobile and Elite Suites. Also check Dyamax, a long-time builder of upscale Class C's -- they're producing some nice fivers.
John & Marilyn Yoder, Sophie & Misha (Bichons)
2008 Vectra 40TD, WIT-151980 FMCA F265880
ChiefJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 04:36 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
The three you mention are quality products that are certainly worthy of consideration - I'd look at them if I were in the market today. Having said that, we've been quite pleased with our Mobile Suites over the last 5-1/2 years and would definitely consider another as well.

2016 Ram Longhorn 3500 Dually 4x4 CCLB, 385/900 Cummins, Aisin AS69RC, 4.10
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 05:13 AM   #8
Originally Posted by empty pocket View Post
I don't own one of these,but i hear heartland builds a nice 5th wheel.
Heartland's products are not in the same class as those mentioned above... many problems with frames, suspension, lift legs, etc. My 2.5 year old Big Horn has had too many problems.

geeksrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 07:08 AM   #9
Monaco Owners Club
450Donn has some great advice that I'll try to add to.

We've had a fifth wheel for 14 years before moving up to a motorhome and construction quality is important to consider. I'd add the following advice:

1. Be sure you have a tow vehicle that is adequate for your needs, check the GVWR, GCWR and whether the truck can accommodate the pin weight of the 5er. Make reasonable estimates for the trailer loaded weight.

2. Things will break or need maintenance--is there access that will allow that? For example one 5er we had didn't have an access to the shower control valve--makes it hard to change. Along this same line is how many areas (and how big) are just inaccessible to even look into? We had significant water damage that could have been minimized had there been a way to see behind the entertainment center. As it was we didn't see the damage until it was extensive.

3. Is there enough storage and equally important is it the right size. Lot's of small cubbies may provide a lot of cubic footage but may not be big enough for chairs, grills, fishing poles, etc.

4. At last weekend's RV show I saw a lot of 5er's with two furnaces but only one 30 lb propane tank, probably not a big deal if you don't camp in cool weather but it may lead to aggravation over time as RV gas furnaces are very inefficient.

5. A washer dryer I would think is indispensable for full timing. We never had one until we got the motorhome--I'll never have another RV without one. I recommend a stacked set though that does take more room than a single unit, if you get a single unit make sure it's vented.

6. A unit that uses common household stuff (e.g., faucets, switches, etc) is a plus. Delta or Moen have rebuild kits for their stuff--the plastic or off-brand stuff often used in RVs can't be rebuilt and sometimes have odd ball connections making replacement challenging. I have experience with this. Related to this is what's plastic and what isn't, for example I've found that plastic sinks in the bathroom are fairly common, but it doesn't take long for them to start looking bad and in many cases a household type sink won't fit without modifications. In addition some of the items used in RVs aren't up to withstanding normal household cleaners on a daily basis.

In the end there are units designed and built for full timing and those for vacationing. The former will cost more but will be worth it on the long run.

I don't know your budget but other respected manufacturers include Teton, King of the Road and Newmar

Hope this helps.

2009 Monaco Camelot
2015 RAM 2500
Blue Ox Aventa LX
CaptPat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 01:27 PM   #10
Thanks for the reply.......We have looked at the Mobile Suites love the floor plans and decor and build, but the dealers out here have priced them way over our price range. But will look again when we make our final decision, might find one within reason....Sure do like them..Thanks again
Arlo & Becky
Old 01-18-2010, 01:33 PM   #11
Thanks for your reply........You gave some really good information. Will keep it for future use. We have a 2009 GMC 3500HD Dually, Duramax Disel Crew Cab Long Bed. Not looking to go over 37 ft on our 5th wheel. Thank again
Arlo & Becky
Old 01-18-2010, 01:38 PM   #12
Thanks for your reply..........Have looked at all 3 you mentioned. Love the floor plans, decor and build. Just have to get the dealers out here to come down on the prices of them. They certainly would be my choice. Thanks again
Arlo & Becky
Old 01-18-2010, 04:06 PM   #13
Sounds like a good list to us - of course I'm partial to the Kansas manufacturers. New Horizons was tops on our list (and also the most expensive). We're happy with our Excel (found one closely optioned the way we wanted at an RV show last year), and I know several NuWa owners that are pleased with their Hitchhikers. Just ensure you get what you want on it. Enjoy the search!!! David
David & Donna Driver SKP# 105170 | Fulltimer | 2009 F450 Lariat Plus w/Nav | 2011 MS 36RSSB3
davydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 01:40 PM   #14
Ford Super Duty Owner
You might want to ad to your list the Glendale Titanium.
We pull a 34E/39RS (40) with a single F350 Diesel for the last 2 years and have wintered full time in Indiana and Pa. while working and the construction is great along with the interior designs.

rvfolks2000 is offline   Reply With Quote