Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-10-2015, 07:35 PM   #15

Don't believe 12 towing. I get 7 but mine is likely heaviest here. Got 9 towing DRV
2003 Teton Grand Freedom. 2006 Freightliner Century 120 with Detroit 14L and Ultrashift.2016 Smartcar carry on deck. Full time going from job to job. Building and maintaining plants across the USA. Sold 2006 Mobile Suites 32TK3
glennwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-10-2015, 11:26 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennwest View Post
Don't believe 12 towing. I get 7 but mine is likely heaviest here. Got 9 towing DRV
What you towing with?
JethroHeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 06:41 AM   #17

A couple of things..

When we were looking at both, we found the class A's small and cramped compared to a 5th wheel. Just our opinion so please hold the flames. Then you have to have a toad. And from what we have seen in our neck of the woods, I think there is a law that you have to be over 65 or even 70 to own one...

Moving around in a class A while on the run is not only silly but really dangerous. Ever seen what a 100+ pound body can do if there is an accident... to themselves and others ?

Regardless of the costs of either, I would look at and decide on a the floorplan first. Rv'ing is not an inexpensive way to live..it is a lifestyle choice so both of you should be happy in what you are living in..
grassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 09:29 AM   #18

Here's my opinion. Owned two DP's. Now, 2015 F350 and new Lifestyle 5er. The DP's gobbled money. Maintenance (24qts of oil&20 grease fittings), tires $5000 last year, 6 mpg, etc. Wish I would have started out in a upscale 5er like the Lifestyle. Last DP purchase $230k - 5er purchase $160k for 5er & truck.

The finally point for me is the F350 is just much more comfortable to drive than the bus style DP. After all I drive a truck every day although my TV is not my daily driver - drove the DP only now and again.

An upscale 5er will give you all the amenities of a new DP not to mention that the 5er has more room.
gregk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 09:36 AM   #19

Entegra Owners Club
Send a message via MSN to KennyGolub
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Birder View Post
With the motor home, you should probably add in the maintenance cost of the toad.

Joel
But then you have to subtract the cost of driving the Pickup to get around once you're set up.

Yep....this is another one of those "suit yourself" topics. I wouldn't over think it. Get whichever attracts you most.
KennyGolub is offline   Reply With Quote