Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-08-2015, 05:28 PM   #1

questions on costs

How would you compare the costs of ownership between a motor home and a fifth wheel/pick up combo? I'm interested in maintenance. Barring the driveline differences are equally equipped coach and trailer costs the same?*

Considering driveline maintenance, my perception (based on doing my own suspension lube, filter and fluid changes) is that a diesel pick up would cost less than a class A*to maintain. Is this accurate?*
pdogii is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-08-2015, 05:38 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdogii View Post
How would you compare the costs of ownership between a motor home and a fifth wheel/pick up combo? I'm interested in maintenance. Barring the driveline differences are equally equipped coach and trailer costs the same?*

Considering driveline maintenance, my perception (based on doing my own suspension lube, filter and fluid changes) is that a diesel pick up would cost less than a class A*to maintain. Is this accurate?*
I would say your statement is correct........
Old 03-08-2015, 05:55 PM   #3

"Considering driveline maintenance" a diesel pick up would cost less than a class A*to maintain. Is this accurate?* Probably
timetogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 05:56 PM   #4

Take away both drive trains and each coach may be similar in repair costs; slides, electronics, plumbing, etc. Having high quality RVs from the git-go make a difference!
5-er v MH can be argued til.....infinity and beyond.
Happy trails
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 03:51 AM   #5

Recommendations for quality, luxury 5vers?
pdogii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 05:22 AM   #6

Mid Atlantic Campers
IMHO, if you REALLY want quality and luxury, you'd best go with a DP. There are big differences in top of the line 5ers and even middle of the line DPs. Also, a good tow vehicle will be at least a dually diesel, and the maintenance on them is more than a gas pickup. The difference between the DP and pickup is that the engine in a DP will be much larger.
Old 03-09-2015, 06:44 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdogii View Post
Recommendations for quality, luxury 5vers?
What do you want to spend on a 5er? They range in price frome $50,000 to $150,000 + truck depending on what you want.

To me the top of the line would be this model: Continental Coach Elegance

Others may have a different view.

Jim W.
Old 03-09-2015, 06:49 AM   #8

Unless you are full timing, the MH is going to sit where as the p/u can be used all year around...and with any motorized vehicle..sitting is hard on them..
grassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 07:10 AM   #9

With the motor home, you should probably add in the maintenance cost of the toad.

Joel
J Birder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 07:44 AM   #10

Having owned a fifth wheel & now a diesel pusher the costs are about the same. With the 5ver my truck was also my daily driver so maintenance was actually a little more than on the DP. The truck oil changes were done about every 7500 miles where as the DP is done about every 18 months. 4 tires on the truck were about $1800.00, only had to replace 1 on the DP due to a blow out $650.00.
My toad is also my daily driver but I only put about 11,000 miles a year on it so maintenance isn't too bad.
Fuel mileage wasn't very different on the truck vs DP.
Like anything, the more you use it the more maintenance it will require.
The DP is definitely more comfortable to travel & live in.
Old 03-09-2015, 07:00 PM   #11

American Coach Owners Club
There is not much of a way that anyone can compare a diesel pick-up and a pusher coach as equal on maintenance cost.....no way no how unless you are looking at cummulative over time. I only say this becasue the pusher will sit still most of the time whereas your truck will be driven. Fuel filters, oil filters, oil, trans oil, filters are well over the costs of a pick-up. I have a 2011 F250 6.7 and a 2007 45' Eagle with a 500 Cummins. No way in hell is the coach on par for maintenance costs with the truck, unless again talking cummulative over time due to non use on the coach.

As for fuel milage, no way even remotely close. Currently get 18-21 on highway in truck.......6 in coach. I run my truck about 10K miles per year at 20MPG and $3.00 gal = $1500. $450 per fill up on coach at $3.00 per gallon. 900 miles from full to empty = a little over three fill ups to equal yearly truck fuel.....not even close. Truck used as daily driver to do everything for you. Coach gets to sit in the garage and occupy space for you.....You should be able to easily justify your daily driver costs, not so much your daily coach ownership.

Actual repair cost one versus the other, not sure don't own a fiver. Fiver breaks down on road, tow it with your truck. Pusher break down on road pay big $$$ to get it moved. Tires on truck about $150-$200 per. Tires on coach $700-900, four tires on truck eight on coach. Two batteries on truck 12 on coach.......this is all just routine stuff, don't even get into repair costs on one versus the other. A pusher is about the most expensive thing you will rarely use under most conditions.....man I love this sport we call camping....lol

On the flip side my wife can go to the bathroom and fix me a sandwich while I continue to roll down the road at 6MPG....lol
Old 03-10-2015, 10:38 AM   #12

Expensive sandwich, I'd rather stop at subway, lol! However you're not gonna get 20 towing a fiver, more like 12
JethroHeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 04:35 PM   #13

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JethroHeller View Post
Expensive sandwich, I'd rather stop at subway, lol! However you're not gonna get 20 towing a fiver, more like 12
I keep telling my wife it is an expensive sandwich as well, that's why we are looking at changing to a fiver....lol Yes I agree on the towing MPG, but it is still considerably more expensive to maintain a big pusher than a pick-up and fiver.....In my opinion
Old 03-10-2015, 05:36 PM   #14

Mid Atlantic Campers
What this all misses is that there's no where near the luxury available in a 5er than in a DP - the 5er is sized for a much smaller equivalent truck to tow so you don't have the higher end things that add weight (marble, granite, etc., etc.). Any 5er that comes close will require an HDT to tow it and then you're talking about maintenance more like what's required for a DP. We went with a medium weight 5er and F350 just because of this and it's still close to 22k lbs complete & fully loaded (and gets 11-12 mpg @ 60-65 mph).