Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-23-2011, 03:30 PM   #1

Talking Quick fix for a wireless rearview camera

When I had my MH I put in a wired 7" color backup camera I bought on Ebay and it worked well. I bought a 5th wheel and wanted a camera on it too.

Knowing it would be a pain to wire one from the 5th wheel to the truck I purchased a wireless one. Well, As senile as I am I didn't read it only covers 35' and my 5th is 40' and 60' with the truck hooked up.

I only paid $115 shipped to my door for it so I started to look for one that would go at least 90'. You can find them but they start at around $700

After looking at the unit I cut the wire running to the camera and it had 3 small wires red, black and yellow. I know the yellow is video, the red power and black ground.

I cut the transmitter off leaving about a foot of wire on each end and mounted the camera (license plate style) to the top back of the 5th wheel. Used stainless steel self threading screws. I then went to Lowes and bought 50' of thermostat wire (5 wires inside) and 40' of 1/2 inch CPVC pipe with connectors. I then ran the wire through the pipe connecting it to the camera and up to the front of the 5th wheel. I took off one of the marker lights and wired the transmitter to it and to the thermostat wire using the color coding. I then siliconed the transmitter and pipe to the roof of the 5th wheel sealing both ends and securing it to the roof.

It took about 2 hrs but the camera now works great and I paid only $115 for it. I know a lot of people with 5th wheels want a backup camera but $700 is too much money and running a wire from the back of the 5th wheel to the front, down the front and connecting it to the monitor in the truck is too much work so here is a good fix for it all.
Here is the camera:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...:X:AAQ:US:1123

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-23-2011, 07:41 PM   #2

Triple E Owners Club
You just answered a question I have. Thank you.

OneRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 04:24 AM   #3

Appalachian Campers
Send a message via Yahoo to W4RLR
I tried the wireless route and found it didn't work well. I got the fifth-wheel backup camera package from Rear View Safety and it works very well, with no interference when I pass places that also have wireless video. For example, the local convenience store has wireless cameras. I would not see the rear of the fiver then, but I would get a great view of the store's beer cooler.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
W4RLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 09:51 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rray32539 View Post
I tried the wireless route and found it didn't work well. I got the fifth-wheel backup camera package from Rear View Safety and it works very well, with no interference when I pass places that also have wireless video. For example, the local convenience store has wireless cameras. I would not see the rear of the fiver then, but I would get a great view of the store's beer cooler.
Oh no..... We'll see how mine works this coming week going down the road...

Tags
camera