Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-09-2015, 09:16 PM   #1

Rank these Makes according to Your Own Preferences

Rank these 10 makes best to least, putting in 2 different categories: top 5 High End, and top 5 Mid-upper range.

Top End Group

Mid-level Group

Along with each ranking, briefly state what it is you like more about one than another, especially with known structural differences including floors, windows, frames, roof, sides/walls, overall quality of interior items. (IF it helps, think in terms as if you were buying a 5-10 yr old one in hopes of living in it for 10+ yrs.)

Please limit your rankings to these 10 choices:
Nu Way Hitchhiker II
Excel Limited
Hitch Hiker Champagne
Hitch Hiker Discover America
Holiday Rambler Presidential
Carriage Cameo
Teton
Mobile Suites
Lifestyle Luxury
Dynamax Triology

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-09-2015, 10:19 PM   #2

Not qualified to rank, but I can vouch for the Trilogy - we are in year three with her and just love the rig!

Old 05-10-2015, 01:49 AM   #3

Too bad you don't have any of the Grand Design units to pick from, then I'd have a response..
2014 Grand Design Solitude, 369RL, #107
2016 Chevy 3500HD, SRW, Diesel/Allison
Gsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 09:11 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I think your asking a lot from people who have probably never owned but one brand. How could I possibly give an honest opinion on something that I never owned.

once had a Fleetwood I liked and a Cardinal that I didn't
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 02:31 PM   #5

Well I can't help with all your selections. We owned a 2006 DRV Mobile Suites. It was 33ish ft. I was disappointed in it. It was better than many due to the well built chassis. It was drafty. It had lots of engineered wood, trim around slide outs, trim work through out unit. We now have a 2003 Teton, 39ish ft. We have absolutely no problems or complaints. It is well sealed, no drafts. Oak wood used for all trim, cabinets, etc. It is heavy with a heavy pin. Ours is 6k. It is definitely a class above the Drv. We are very pleased with our Teton.
2003 Teton Grand Freedom. 2006 Freightliner Century 120 with Detroit 14L and Ultrashift.. Full time going from job to job. Building and maintaining plants across the USA. Sold 2006 Mobile Suites 32TK3
glennwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 05:09 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennwest View Post
Well I can't help with all your selections. We owned a 2006 DRV Mobile Suites. It was 33ish ft. I was disappointed in it. It was better than many due to the well built chassis. It was drafty. It had lots of engineered wood, trim around slide outs, trim work through out unit. We now have a 2003 Teton, 39ish ft. We have absolutely no problems or complaints. It is well sealed, no drafts. Oak wood used for all trim, cabinets, etc. It is heavy with a heavy pin. Ours is 6k. It is definitely a class above the Drv. We are very pleased with our Teton.
Very good to know. No one wants drafts. Utility bills would soar.
Old 05-10-2015, 05:16 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizard View Post
I think your asking a lot from people who have probably never owned but one brand. How could I possibly give an honest opinion on something that I never owned.

once had a Fleetwood I liked and a Cardinal that I didn't
I think my question was for those who have researched a lot of different top brands before buying, as I am doing. Most seem to have something a little different that distinguishes theirs, such as the way they do this or that better or worse than someone else's design and execution.

My main problem is since I am old, after reading and watching videos on the way different manufacturers do theirs, I totally forget which did what. I am now doing a spreadsheet for each model so I can compare accurately.

One big thing I have noticed, there are tons of used Carriage Cameos for sale out there. They all look surprisingly so like new, even the 10 yr old ones. I surmise that they were extremely popular due to their quality, or suppose it could be the opposite, people are getting rid of them for some reason. I really like their visual appeal and floor plans. I wouldn't be surprised if I ended up with one of them.

I don't know where Holiday Rambler's Presidential rates compared to the top brands, but their style inside is very homey and comfortable looking. They don't seem so monotonous by being all one color, brown on brown on brown, or all leather and wood and counters matched to same shade of color. The H.R. just seem more colorful in a pleasant grandmotherly home way.
Old 05-10-2015, 09:40 PM   #8

Top 5 from your list

1. Teton
2. Excel Limited
3. Life Style
4. Mobile Suites
5. NuWa Champagne

Next 5:

1. HR Presidential
2. Trilogy
3. NuWa Hitchhiker
4. NuWa Discover America
5. Carriage Cameo

I will add: the Carriage Carri-lite is much better than the Carriage Cameo.

I do not know much about the old HR Presidential but the newer ones were solid units.

Why not include Excel Winslow?

The Augusta Luxe may be top tier 5th wheel now.

The DRV Elite Suites is a unit I would want used.

The Trilogy is a very solid unit but might lack insulation.

I know owners of a 2005 Carriage Carri-lite. They say it is not well insulated.

Newer models have flush mount dual pane windows.

Excel is now out of business.
Old 05-11-2015, 03:30 AM   #9

You done went and became a worrywart now.
Doug
2006 Ford F-350 Crew Cab Lariat 4X2 PSD 6.0 TorqShift Automatic Transmission. Upfitter Switchers Chrome Door Handles, Oxford White with lower part being Arizona Beige Metallic. Creative Coating Sprayed in bed liner (local Company in Little Rock AR) 2
WD40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 04:12 PM   #10

I agree that the DRV Elite Suites appears to be the top of the line, truly elegant in every way. I haven't seen any to close to it so far. However, even the used ones seem about $20k above my budget. I am still looking though. Problem is that I am spoiled now after looking at the Elite Suites.
Old 05-12-2015, 07:50 PM   #11

We looked at the DRV Suites and Lifestyle and didn't see floor plans that we liked. We love our Trilogy but I'm afraid they are no longer being produced.
Old 05-13-2015, 02:07 AM   #12

I am going to give a stab at my own question now that I have studied most till I am blue in the face. So here goes. The debate continues though, so chime in with your own thoughts.

Top End Group
1. DVR Elite Suites - Luxury and quality and perfection throughout. Wow.
2. Teton - You would never get cold in one of these. Should last forever.
3. Excel - quality and so many used ones to choose from. Must have been the most sold by far.
Tie for 4th - loved both of these. Can still find a new '13 or '14 for $80k range. Too bad that's about $25k outside my budget. Still tempted though.
4. Dynamax Triology
4. Lifestyle Luxury
5. Mobile Suites - I haven't learned anything about these, but heard they are nice and belong in this group. Found an '05 that looked nice for $25K.

Mid-level Group
1. Carriage Cameo - just lovely inside. Great prices on used ones too. Tons for sale.
2. Nu Wa Hitch Hiker Champagne - Look and seem like great quality for price.
3. Holiday Rambler Presidential - has old fashion style and look of luxury inside. Not sure about structurally though. Just can't find any comments about that.
4. Nu Wa Hitch Hiker Discover America - Very nice and appealing decor and floor plans. Very good pricing and just step down from the Champagne.
5. Forest River Cardinal & Cedar Creek - appear to make a decent coach, especially for the money. Nice warranty. Hear good things from owners about service and support. New can be had in the $60k range. Not bad, and great appeal to the masses.

Right now I have found 2 '06 Excels I like in the $30k range. Also, a very nice '11 Carriage Cameo in the $40 range. It will be a close call between these 3 as of right now. The smaller Excel 33' might be had closer to $25k and is very cute. The larger Excel is more practical for full time living I think. And the Cameo is lovely, newer, and loaded with everything I could want. Being newer, maybe it would last as well as the older Excels. 10-15 yrs is all I am hoping for.