Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-22-2014, 10:03 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
RBD grand lux

It appears residential by design has revamped their top of the line 5th wheel. We really like the 48 foot 2 bedroom floor plan with front kitchen (48fk2br). Has anyone had any experience with this brand? I know they are popular with the carnies, probably due to their price point. I also know you get what you pay for. Is this new grand lux a better trailer than the previous lines? We are full time and don't want to buy a unit that is going to cause a lot of head aches. We are also looking at having continental coach or space craft build one based on that floor plan, but the difference is vast. The rbd is about 75k, where spacecraft gave me a preliminary quote of about 140k. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Erlingiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-22-2014, 10:52 AM   #2

Texas Boomers Club
I'm not familiar with the brand and couldn't find a website for them. The ones I've seen are stick and tin (wood frame with aluminum sides) and I know that for $75K you can do much better.

Think about how hard it will be to find a space for a 48' trailer. State and COE parks are out. We've been living in our 39' Landmark for over two years full timing and love it!

Good luck with your choice.
Old 01-22-2014, 11:15 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We are usually in one place for a couple months at a time so state and Coe parks are out regardless. The campgrounds we've stayed at in the past could accommodate a trailer that large, typically 65 to 100 foot sites. Mobile home parks have been another option for us, so the size doesn't bother me. My biggest concerns are how it will hold up.

Their web site is www.rbdrv.com
Old 01-22-2014, 11:45 AM   #4

Went to their website and found it very lacking in important specs, such as holding tank size, fresh water size, 30 Amp or 50 Amp, weights, etc. I did notice for A/C they only say "Prep for roof air conditioner", which leads me to believe that the A/C is additional. I can't say anything about their construction as I have never seen one.

I have visited Space Craft's plant and am very impressed with their rigs. They are on the heavy size, due in large part to the very heavy-duty frame they make on-site.

That said, we are leaning toward an Excel - excellent quality and a little lighter than the Space Craft.

Jim
Old 01-22-2014, 11:55 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Does excel do custom trailers?
Old 01-22-2014, 12:19 PM   #6

Design is going to be a cheaper built, not as fancy trailer. It is what you pay for it, like you said.
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 01:18 PM   #7

Residential By Design doesn't know how to spell GFCI...

Tim
Timay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 01:59 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timay View Post
Residential By Design doesn't know how to spell GFCI... Tim
GFI and GFCI can be used interchangeably, ground fault interrupt vs ground fault circuit interrupt
Old 01-22-2014, 02:36 PM   #9

I am looking at 3 - 4 year old Space Craft and New Horizons to bring the cost down to affordable w/o needing to win the lottery.

The Excel is a solid well build unit. It does not hurt to ask if they can custom build what you want but as far as I know they only offer a set of their floorplans. You can however cherry pick options like beautiful hardwood floors.I think you can pick all the options and still buy their very best unit for 120k which would carry a MSRP of 150k.

I did notice the Excel had very narrow steps and hallway on many of their units. When measured their steps/hallway are 25" wide. My current run of the mill rig has 30" wide steps/hallway.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 03:58 PM   #10

Send a message via ICQ to wandering1
"Recreation" By Design??
Old 01-22-2014, 05:40 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We would love to buy a used unit, but the problem is that we need two bedrooms, we don't want to take the living room apart so the kids can go to bed at 8, plus it gives them their own space. We have had a hard time finding a used 2 bedroom that is truly a full time 4 season trailer. Currently we have a 2006 fleetwood discovery diesel pusher with the one bedroom that we all share, now our oldest is getting ready to move out of the crib. I'm still waiting to hear back from continental coach, but I imagine they are slightly less than spacecraft, but much better built than recreation by design
Old 01-22-2014, 05:42 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wandering1 View Post
"Recreation" By Design??
As far as I know the manufacturer is "Recreation by Design"
Old 01-22-2014, 05:45 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wandering1 View Post
"Recreation" By Design??
My mistake, my original post said residential by design
Old 01-22-2014, 06:43 PM   #14

I wondering if a toy hauler would work. The garage area can be used as the 2nd bedroom. Checkout the Excel Wild Cargo 5th wheel.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote