Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-17-2014, 11:02 PM   #15

Just make sure you use high strength bolts.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-17-2014, 11:45 PM   #16

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
1st update

I called Etrailer before work this morning. They said the kit is going to be about $86 dollars + $22 shipping, but, they are out of stock. They would have to order, then, I could expect to get them in between 2 -3 weeks.

I made the calls to the RV Dealers. All said they would have to call me back shortly. Some did, some didn't. For the ones that did call back, prices for the brackets were $81, $124, and $146. They also quoted me install prices of $350, $385, $650, and $500-$900(depending on my set-up).
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaulsen View Post
I bought my rails,brackets and bolts from an RV dealer. RBW uses the same parts kit as Reese. That is what I got and everything fit perfect.
I did mention the Reese products to them, and they all agreed about fitting RBW. Thanks cpaulsen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbeek View Post
I made my own brackets, from 3/8 x 3 plate, under the bed which attached to the frame. Welded nut plates (1/2" hi test nuts) on the underside of these brackets. I can quickly spin the bolts out of the cross brackets to remove the whole hitch. Makes for a clean bed when not towing. Positioned center of pin 1/2 inch forward of center line of axle.
That's bad*** (I mean fantastic), oldbeek. I don't have welding skills, so I may ask a friend to throw some welds on after the brackets are installed.

I am considering having the professionals install it, on Friday, so that there is no question if it's properly done and no mistakes by me.

r___r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 11:48 PM   #17

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by caissiel View Post
Just make sure you use high strength bolts.
Thanks for responding, caissiel.

I'm considering having the pros do it Friday.

Old 03-18-2014, 05:17 PM   #18

[QUOTE=r___r;
I'm considering having the pros do it Friday.[/QUOTE]
Best idea!

regards

Tim
Timay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 07:04 PM   #19

Does this hitch use ISR (industry standard rails)?
Old 03-18-2014, 07:44 PM   #20

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timay View Post
Best idea!

regards

Tim
thanks for responding, Tim. I think it's going to be for the best, Safety-wise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesilvas View Post
Does this hitch use ISR (industry standard rails)?
I don't know the answer to that. I did get the hitch from a 1997 f250 long bed, though.

I decided to go with a little mom-and-pop shop that's been around for as long as I can remember, in the same location.

Thanks for chiming in, jesilvas.

Rich

Old 03-18-2014, 08:49 PM   #21

The look like ISRs, but without measurements, hard to tell. And you are definitely missing installation hardware.
Old 03-18-2014, 09:12 PM   #22

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
The look like ISRs, but without measurements, hard to tell. And you are definitely missing installation hardware.
what measurements do I need to check to find out whether they are ISR's?

I noticed the missing hardware When I looked at the owners manual online.

I'm just missing the L brackets and bolts to the frame, am my correct, Or, do you see other stuff that's missing?

Old 03-19-2014, 12:16 AM   #23

Just need the L brackets. Could have them weld the hi-nuts to the L brackets before assembly so you can spin the bolts off from the top without help holding the nuts underneath. Used little rockers wear on the slide bar that slides in behind the 5th wheel pin. This will cause a clunk on take off and stop. I built mine back up by welding hardface on it. Also where it rocks sideways, The metal wears as it should have been thicker. Mine had wear after 70,000 miles of towing. If it has all the wear mine had it was not such a hot deal. Check it out.
Old 03-19-2014, 12:23 AM   #24

If your hitch is similar to a Reese an install kit is available with long bolt and spacers to go thru the frame on your truck. Only if you have a Ford. My last F250 (2005) I installed the hitch in about one hour and got the kit from my local parts store. If you pay shipping I think I have the lower brackets for chev, dodge
stink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 06:52 AM   #25

I installed my RBW on my Chevy pickup and used it for 5 years....then bought a Superduty. Used all the same brackets to install with all new bolts. Worked just great.
Old 03-19-2014, 07:58 AM   #26

Brackets, spline bolts into the frame, nuts, washers, threaded bolt fish wires.
Old 03-19-2014, 05:13 PM   #27

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Brackets, spline bolts into the frame, nuts, washers, threaded bolt fish wires.
I was imagining those hardware parts would come with the bracket kit. I was thinking you might have seen something else than the kit. Thanks jesilvas

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaulsen View Post
I installed my RBW on my Chevy pickup and used it for 5 years....then bought a Superduty. Used all the same brackets to install with all new bolts. Worked just great.
thats good to know that the RBW isn't just limited to a specific brand. Thanks cpaulsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by stink View Post
If your hitch is similar to a Reese an install kit is available with long bolt and spacers to go thru the frame on your truck. Only if you have a Ford. My last F250 (2005) I installed the hitch in about one hour and got the kit from my local parts store. If you pay shipping I think I have the lower brackets for chev, dodge
The shop that I've chosen to go with said they had the bracket kit. Thanks for responding stink

Quote:
Just need the L brackets. Could have them weld the hi-nuts to the L brackets before assembly so you can spin the bolts off from the top without help holding the nuts underneath. Used little rockers wear on the slide bar that slides in behind the 5th wheel pin. This will cause a clunk on take off and stop. I built mine back up by welding hardface on it. Also where it rocks sideways, The metal wears as it should have been thicker. Mine had wear after 70,000 miles of towing. If it has all the wear mine had it was not such a hot deal. Check it out.
I'll look at the locations you mentioned. Thanks for the info oldbeek.

Rich

Old 03-22-2014, 01:46 PM   #28

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Used little rockers wear on the slide bar that slides in behind the 5th wheel pin. This will cause a clunk on take off and stop. I built mine back up by welding hardface on it. Also where it rocks sideways, The metal wears as it should have been thicker. Mine had wear after 70,000 miles of towing. If it has all the wear mine had it was not such a hot deal. Check it out.
Oldbeek,

Thursday evening, I checked out the locations you brought up. It's All Good. There was minimal wear, possibly 1/16", on the slide bar. and the other location, maybe 1/32".

Tags
5th wheel hitch install