Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-13-2009, 01:50 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batman_777 View Post
I've heard several good comments about Jayco, Grand Junction, Teton, Carriage and Big Horn. There are $100,000.00 plus 5'vers out there (I'm sure you've seen them). We looked (looked only) at one.
Batman_777 is right, but I believe Teton is out of business. I would have recommended Newmar, but you'll need a larger truck for sure. Maybe the Cypress by Newmar isn't so heavy. Not sure though.

2000 Freightliner Sportchassis - 300 CAT, 6 speed Alison
Shaun and Amy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-13-2009, 08:09 PM   #16

Texas Boomers Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Thanks to all for your responses. Any others are still desired. I looked at the Open
Range website and the decor is better. I don't care for all of the dark brown that is being offered now. It seems that the manufactures just copy each other. I love the split bath but Cardinal only had one on its web site all other bathrooms are enclosed. I am first interested in a quality product, then decor. I want axles that hold up to the rough roads etc. In February there is an RV show in Richmond, VA and one in Raleigh, NC. I hope to make both of those. In addition to visiting local dealers. Most dealers have let inventory shrink so there won't be as many models available to see and kick the tires.

ncason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 10:43 PM   #17

I have been looking at www.americanarv.com The web site does not have many floorplans but e-mail them and they will send you lots of info.
Old 10-16-2009, 11:19 AM   #18

Florida Cooters Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncason View Post
I visited the NuWa site but then fround the owner's forum and don't want a rig with slider problems. Fill me in Richard -please. The Cardinal is 7 years old and the sliders have never had a problem.
Thanks in advance,
Nancy
ps We need a rig we can tow with the F250.
Regarding NuWa slide problems, I assume you've been reading the owners forum thread about Lippert bedroom slide mechanisms. Keep in mind that Lippert supplies slide mechanisms for many manufacturers. If that is a concern, make sure you don't buy another brand with the same hardware. Our only real complaint with our rig after 18 months are the day/night shades, again, the same thing used by many other manufacturers.
As to pulling a NuWa with a F250, maybe the smallest ones but most will require a 350/3500 or larger in my opinion.
Old 10-16-2009, 04:20 PM   #19

I would also recommend the Carriage line of trailers. They make a good product and they do NOT use Lippert frames - - they make their own. They are on the heavy side so be careful not to go too big unless you get a 3500 dually. We love ours and it is now 9 years old - - still looks terrific and it has been to a lot of places like Newfoundland, Alaska, Mexico and all those trips originating from Florida.

Bob
Old 10-16-2009, 06:46 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffinsalida View Post
I have been looking at www.americanarv.com The web site does not have many floorplans but e-mail them and they will send you lots of info.
FYI Americana is nothing more than a rebadged Cardinal!
They buy base units from Forest River, add their flavor of stuff to them and resell them as Americana.
450Donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 10:58 PM   #21

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
I have been looking at the Hitchhiker LS. The floorplans look good, but would like to see one. We may go to the Tampa RV show in January. My problem with NUWA is we have no dealer near us. The closest one is in Ocala, Fla. The best fiver I can find with a dealer near us is a Jayco, with the dealer near Raleigh, NC. The wife does not like the kitchen and I got a few things I am not happy about.
Tom
Old 10-17-2009, 07:55 AM   #22
Administrator in Memoriam

Appalachian Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncason View Post
I visited the NuWa site but then found the owner's forum and don't want a rig with slider problems. Fill me in Richard -please.
You've received some excellent brand suggestions in the posts above, there's a lot of good choices offered and most are great rigs.

I'm sure whatever brand you settle on will give you many, many years of trouble free service. I've always been pleased with my NuWa's, the fact that this one is my fourth with no local dealers speaks for itself. NuWa makes it tough to buy one here in the Mid-Atlantic states.

As pointed out, there can be problems with any brand, the difference is how the manufacturer takes care of those problems when they occur. NuWa had Lippert redesign the bedroom slide mechanism in the newer models, I think they revised it with the 2008 model year. The other slides on their trailers are all hydraulically operated and relatively trouble free.
Old 10-17-2009, 08:08 AM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
As you've seen, when this question is asked, most people will recommend what they now own or have owned in the past, and I'm no exception. Human nature, I guess.....

Having said that, we've been pleased with our Doubletree RV (now DRV) Mobile Suites 5th wheel. It has been back to the dealer once since we've owned it for a warranty problem (a broken gear in a slideout drive - they're now hydraulic, by the way) and never back to the factory for any repairs. I would certainly look at another if we were thinking of replacing ours (and we're not - it's just as comfortable as the day we picked it up back in August 2004). But then again, the three (3) Jaycos we owned prior to this rig were good, reliable rigs as well.

The reason I haven't posted until now is that one of your original criteria is that you wanted to tow whatever you buy with your F-250. The DRV 5th wheels are too heavy for that, and in good conscience I couldn't recommend them to you unless you're willing to upgrade your tow vehicle.

Good luck in whatever you choose. Enjoy the search - kicking tires is one of the fun parts of RVing to me.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 10:52 PM   #24

But if you're going to talk about quality manufacturers, and somebody that will not only stand by their product, as well as work with you on ideas you have, you really also shouldn't pass up Excel. The only downside is that they're heavy. But if you're talking about a bigger truck, they just might fig the bill. Go to the Excel forum, and see what the current owners feel about their product.

P.S. Yes, I've got a motorhome now, but I started off with an Excel, and had that for a couple of years. I had done a lot of research prior to buying one, and never regretted my decision on the company. It's just that it took me a couple of years to figure out that a motorhome simply suited me best, rather than a 5er. But if I were to go back to a 5er, there's no doubt which one I'd gravitate toward.
Old 10-21-2009, 05:20 PM   #25

Texas Boomers Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Good feedback

I appreciate the time that everyone took to enter this discussion. It has really helped me. And I know it will help others searching to purchase a 5vr whether for the first time or not.
While we are analyzing our needs versus our wants we will attend as many RV shows as possible this winter and spring. Of course wants at this stage of life can be indulged after all what is retirement about.

Old 10-21-2009, 05:26 PM   #26

Appalachian Campers
Nancy,

If the bidding for this new left over HitchHiker on eBay doesn't get too high it'll be a great buy for someone looking for a nice 5th wheel. A caveat is that the factory warranty will only be for 90 days. Not sure if you're even interested in anything such as this but I thought I'd share it with you anyway.

The bidding closes on Oct 25 and someone will be the owner of a brand new 2006 trailer.
Old 10-26-2009, 02:30 PM   #27

Texas Boomers Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Thanks for the link, Richard. I was impressed with the Hitchhiker, loved the colors and the floorplan BUT my conservative husband was not willing to make a bid on something he had not seen nor kicked the tires on. I watched the final countdown on the bidding. I think the buyer got a good deal and a very pretty rig. I am not a fan of the current color schemes. Most rigs now are too dark for my taste. And in addition to a quality built rig I want something easy to live in 3 months at a time. The search is on.
Nancy
Old 10-26-2009, 03:28 PM   #28

Appalachian Campers
I can certainly understand your hubby not wanting to buy something that expensive sight unseen.

It'd take a bold leap to make such an investment unless you had total confidence in the brand and in the factory's support. Someone bought it last night for $33,830, it had an MSRP of almost $80K which was 4 years ago pricing.

A factory fresh 2010 equivalent today would probably have a sticker 5-7% higher due to inflation.