Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-07-2009, 05:51 PM   #1

Texas Boomers Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Ready for another rig

We never thought we would outgrow our 5vr. But we did not get exactly what we wanted when we bought this one and now really need a rig big enough for 2 "quality built, comfortable chairs" something that does not leave the back hurting after reading all day on a rainy day.

I visited the NuWa site but then fround the owner's forum and don't want a rig with slider problems. Fill me in Richard -please. The Cardinal is 7 years old and the sliders have never had a problem. But a pin hole leak in the roof caused us to replace the entire back end. I dread all the shopping and research because I spend a year plus researching before we purchased the Cardina.

Any and all information on which rigs you really like and which ones you really hate would be welcome.

Thanks in advance,

Nancy
ps We need a rig we can tow with the F250.
ncason is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-07-2009, 06:42 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Sorry to hear about your problems Nancy. Have you looked at the Arctic Fox line of 5er?

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 08:23 PM   #3

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
We are looking also, but can't find some of the things we like in our Arctic Fox. We just looked at a Jayco Designer. I liked the basement storage and the living area. They had no place for a trash can or a place to put a broom. the kitchen cabinet did not have the storage we now have. The closet did not go all the way across the front, so the space too limited for us. I know you can have trouble with any make but our Arctic Fox has had more than its share. I had a fit removing the gas bottle when the first one ran out as the shelf the gas bottles sitting on was too high. The roof had to be replace as it has giant bubbles across the front. They fixed the roof under warranty but it only last another year. They had no hole for me to crank down the spare. The water heater would not run on electric as the wire not connected at the switch. (this I fixed myself) The slide cracked the sidewall when it was a few months old and a couple years later it had to go back the the factory again as the floor had rotted from a water leak around the seal. While they were fixing the slide I got them to put a new roof on, as it had come loose again. I paid for this but the price was very reasonable. The Northwood people have been good at fixing , but their quality control is lacking. I do understand the Northwood plant in Oregon is much better and the Winchester plant is closed.
diandtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 10:03 PM   #4

I'll warn you up front. Fivers have gotten a lot heavier in the last 7 years. With a F250 and if you want to stay within the manufacturers ratings you will be severely limited in your choices and sizes. Please consider that you will need more truck before you get more trailer.
Now, having said all that, why not look at the Cardinal/Cedar Creek lines again. 7 years and you are generally happy with your choice, stick with what you know.
Old 10-08-2009, 07:52 AM   #5

Texas Boomers Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
New truck???

Bill has been making noises about a new truck. I was hoping that would not be necessary but Don is probably right. As with everthing else in life it is a lot easier to move up than to move down. I really want a motorhome and he put his foot down and said no we stay with a 5vr. But if we have to buy another truck to pull another rig we will spend about the same money. We both like the room in a 5vr versus a motorhome. But I really like the bathroom within reach.

The truck will have to be a really good deal, maybe used and definately sprung differently than the F250. Our truck is a great towing machine but hard on the backend. My backend.

Nancy
ncason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 08:33 AM   #6

Remember this, with a MH you will need a small car to tow behind. Adding to the expense. I have had a MH once. I think everybody should have one at least once in their RV life. It is great for going down the road for miles at a time. However when you are parked, you are stuck unless you have a toad. And back in those days we did not. Very expensive to operate and maintain compared to a truck.
IMHO my 1 ton dually does not ride any worse than the 2500 HD it replaced after I had to add air bags and everything else to tow my trailer. With the deals out there today, I find it difficult to consider used.
Old 10-08-2009, 07:15 PM   #7

Smile

Take a look at the Open Range 5th wheels, if you have a chance.
We saw one at a local dealer last month and were very impressed with the fit & finish, weight, exterior, jack system & my wife loved the interrior. It's one of the few RV's out there that doesn't look like it was decorated by someone's grandmother.
We were so impressed that after a bit of shopping, we orded one. The build date is next week. Can't wait to head south to Myrtle Beach! Here's their website....www.openrangerv.com

Have fun shopping!
Oldbuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 07:08 PM   #8

We too have been thinking about a new unit but keep coming back to our old one slide Cougar. We don't want to go bigger - ie longer but would like a bedroom slide. So many newer units have multiple slides and less storage (nothing under the bed or no pantry space for example) that we may just put up with our old unit for a few more years.
JJnLilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 07:55 AM   #9

Take a look at the Big Horn or Big Country line of Heartland. They have all different floor plans and lengths that could fit your needs without upgrading to a new truck. BUT!!!! a new and bigger truck is nice then you can go into the Landmark by Heartland.
Rv'n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 02:50 PM   #10

Triple E Owners Club
Have a look at Triple E as well. Google their website and you can look at all the different models of trailer, fifth, Class C and Class A's.

If owner satisfaction is any indication of their quality, they come out ahead of many.
VI Roamers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 08:57 PM   #11

[QUOTE=diandtom;553154]We are looking also, but can't find some of the things we like in our Arctic Fox. We just looked at a Jayco Designer. I liked the basement storage and the living area. They had no place for a trash can or a place to put a broom.
I had the same complaint with our Jayco. I fixed it by cutting a hole in the kitchen counter and installed a trash bin that slid into a space we could not use. Worked great and kept the dog out of the trash. Later I cut a hole on the side of the fiver and installed a door to easily remove the trash from the outside. It made a good idea a great one.

In all honesty I really liked my Jayco and even though it had some shortcomings Jayco always helped even after the warrenty was long gone. The 5er and Jayco gave me 10 years great service. I can say now, after having owned another 5er from a big manufacturer, that the Jayco was a better built, Way better in customer relations, and a much safer trailer based on everything I have seen in that price point. Jayco will stand behind their product, and in todays world of lousy customer service and Fleetwood cancelling their support for all their trailer buyers, Jayco is a breath of fresh air in a stagnet and festering sea of manufacturers trying to recoup their losses by wiping out integrity right along with their warranty.
Say what you will about Jayco designer series but I have not owned a better trailer or seen a company who steadfastly stands behind their product 100%. No, I do not work for them but as a small business owner they reflect my belief that customer service is your only way to connect with and keep your buyers. Happy buyers continue to buy from trusted manufacturers. I wish I had my Jayco designer back. It was a great trailer. My next trailer will again be a Jayco.
-Paul R. Haller-
Paul R. Haller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 08:07 AM   #12

Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
We have had our Cameo 36FWS since July and been out about 8 times. We love it. It will be our snowbirding rig in a few years and there seems to be plenty of room without us getting in each other's way. It is heavy and needs a bigger truck. The Carriage line is on the higher end of price but the quality seems to be there.
Old 10-13-2009, 08:56 AM   #13

I was going to mention Carriage as well. I think they make a very nice camper and have shorter lengths that are not too heavy, but do not sacarfice quality. My Mom and Dad bought a 2009 Carriage Domani and I think it's very nice. It is quality built, but not huge and heavy, but spacious. Just a thought. Good luck!

2000 Freightliner Sportchassis - 300 CAT, 6 speed Alison
Shaun and Amy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 09:15 AM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
I've heard several good comments about Jayco, Grand Junction, Teton, Carriage and Big Horn. There are $100,000.00 plus 5'vers out there (I'm sure you've seen them). We looked (looked only) at one.
Always-RVing is offline   Reply With Quote