Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-01-2016, 01:49 PM   #15

Look at the semi trls alot have foldable extensions to reduce turbulance.
jacknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-02-2016, 08:27 PM   #16

Have seen a lot of effort put into getting just tenths/mpg improvement for the truckers--if we drove hundreds of thousands of miles with a fleet of trucks, it does add up. For a fiver, don't think it could ever be proven to be worth the effort.
If it was that easy to get mpg improvements, every pickup towing a fiver would have an air foil on top...including mine. And stability with my setup isn't a problem.
Good conversation tho, never know when something might come up that makes a real difference.
Joe
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 08:57 PM   #17

I can tell you with certainty that air tabs don't work, and none of the above claimed 5.5% the key is in the wording "up to" 5.5% which includes 0. Big rigs with side plates and underbelly deflectors save about 4500/yr in OTR long haul trucks. Based on fuel price and the fact they put on more a year that 10 with your RV. You need an absolute ton of miles to see the decimal point increase in drag's effectiveness. I had bigger gains in fuel economy in my big rigs and in my RV simply by running Amsoil synthetic oil, not to mention reduced maintenance and drivetrain wear. Keep your air cleaner clean and run injector cleaner in those diesels, make sure your tires are up to pressure and all joking aside keep your rig clean and waxed and you will see point % gains again. There are no miracle cures for anything out there and the old adage that if it sounds too good to be true it is, there's a sucker born every minute, and a fool and his money are soon parted all bear truth sadly. It's all about it the little things you can do to add up to realitively small gains but gains none the less and they don't really cost much.
DieselGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 09:00 PM   #18

Just got to thinking...didn't all the old Shasta trailers have their version of the 'airfoil' on them?
Joe
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 09:45 PM   #19

Rear caps look great but I doubt the average RV'er could see much fuel savings from one if there are any to be had. They just don't rack up enough mileage to make much difference.
Wilber1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 07:25 AM   #20
IC2

The now gone 33' Titanium had a rear cap and really looked nice. My fuel mileage was 12-13. The current 38' and heavier Montana doesn't and my fuel mileage is ta-da!! 12-13.

When I asked an honest (an oxymoron?) RV salesman why many premium 5ers no longer had the molded rear cap, his answer was money - the cost of manufacturing and the sell price, no other reason. Some do offer a rear cap at about a $2K adder which will, at current diesel prices, put 1000 gallons of fuel in the TVs tank, or figured at 13mpg, 13,000 miles
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 09:50 PM   #21

I ran one of the folding tail spoilers on my big rig for 450000 miles, just over 3 years and it saved me $800.00 in round numbers over the course of those 3 years. It cost quite a bit more than that to purchase, install and maintain. I no longer have it. The underbelly skirts on the other hand did help and surprisingly added stability in cross wind situations, probably by preventing air under the trailer from trying to lift it like ground effect skirting on a race car.
renegade is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel