Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-24-2014, 08:13 AM   #1

Rear fifth wheel bogie wheels

I have an incline drive, and the rear of my fifth wheel hits the incline before the trailer wheels. Is there anyone who has mounted bogie wheels to the rear frame to lift it till the trailer wheels contact??? please email spscorp@charter.net

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-24-2014, 04:10 PM   #2

I've seen , metal casters and rollers mounted, to the rear bumpers of 5th wheels and TT's. Never done it myself.
First question. How much stress are you going to be putting on the end of the frame rails? No sense doing this if your going to damage the RV.
Second. How much clearance do you have between the sides of the pick-up box and the underside of the front corners of your 5er; when you get to the place at your driveway where you need the bumper to lift? No sense damaging the truck either.
I had a sharp , de-cline , to the drive way at my last house with a 5er, and had to ramp the front wheels of the truck, to stop contact between the box corners and the underside of the 5er. After the first time.
If this is the only spot your having trouble , ramps for the 5er wheels might be a safer option.

Old 04-25-2014, 10:35 PM   #3

I welded a pair of two inch rollers under the hitch mount on my 40 foot Cardinal and they glide very smooth when I drag. You won't be sorry.
Old 04-26-2014, 12:27 PM   #4

I had a previous TT that I welded the 2" Steal rollers(from Tractor Supply) as did RugersDad and they worked great, Be aware though any thing added to frame of RV can make your warranty Invalid So if I we're you I would Waite till warranty is out .
Old 04-26-2014, 12:34 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickThanos View Post
I have an incline drive, and the rear of my fifth wheel hits the incline before the trailer wheels. Is there anyone who has mounted bogie wheels to the rear frame to lift it till the trailer wheels contact??? please email spscorp@charter.net
Are the trailer axles on top of the springs or below, if on top they can be flipped. Adding the dolly wheels is just asking for something to bend. Many get away with it, so it is a dice roll.
Old 04-26-2014, 06:57 PM   #6

Mine works as a friction reducer!!
Old 05-06-2014, 04:45 PM   #7
P5W

I think it really depends on how badly this is happening? If it's a minor scrape for just a couple inches, I think the wheels will help, but if you're needing a lot more than that I think it could be too much stress on the frame. Heck, you may lift the rear trailer tires off the ground to say nothing of the issue introduced by Skip42 about maintaining clearance between the truck bed rails and the front of the trailer.! That can't be good.

On my 5th the spare tire was mounted too low from the factory and the slightest dip would touch and the tire cover quickly disintegrated from contact. A big transition dip at an intersection finally literally busted the welds on the tire mount. I added the wheels welded to the frame and also had the mount for the spare tire raised a few inches.

Here's mine:

P5W is offline   Reply With Quote