Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-28-2013, 12:31 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
rear kitchen

Why is there a phobia in regards to rear kitchens? It seems that people have told me to stay away for getting an rv that is so equipted. It is said that dishes break and trouble with an extra waste water tank and the list goes on and on and on. I am concidering such unit but now am at a quandry re this situation. If you got some advice I would be much abliged.
pops2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-28-2013, 12:58 PM   #2

For whatever it's worth, we used to have a Class C with a rear kitchen, and I loved it. Never had any dishes break.
danandcarol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 02:44 PM   #3

I don't have a "phobia" about them, but, I don't think I'll ever own one. In a MH of some sort maybe; they have a suspension system to take the jolts out of the rear, but, trailers are lot less forgiving on stuff in the rear.

Look at the physics; the front is supported, cushioned, and reigned in by the attachment point to the TV. The middle is directly over the axles and cushioned by the limited suspension found there. The rear? Nothing. Just like a roller coaster; if you want the wildest ride possible, sit in the back.

The rear end takes a lot more punishment than anywhere else in the trailer. All of the stuff in my cabinets remain in place, no matter what the road conditions are except for the stuff in the rear most cabinets. Over a lot of years, we've learned what to put in those rear most cabinets and none of it is breakable I can leave stuff sit out on any of the counter tops in the rest of the trailer and usually find them still sitting there, except for the end table in the rear; I have a lamp there that is attached by 4 3M Command picture hanging strips to keep it from moving and if I forget to pick up a coaster before we leave, it will be on the floor when we stop. I personally, don't want to even think about the possible consequences to our dinnerware, utensils, pots and pans, pantry items, etc. along with the myriad of hardware connections; plumbing inlets and drains, LP couplings, stuff in the refrigerator, etc. Granted, 98% of the time nothing would move or go wrong provided you packed everything back there with possible movement in mind.

We also prefer the living area to be in the back. If there is a view, it will be back there and not each side. If the living area was in the middle, we'd have a great view of the rig on either side of us and unless the kitchen area (in the rear) had its own door, that is a long way to go for a cold one. With the kitchen in the middle, and ours in particular, the refrigerator is right next to the door.

A friend of ours has a TT with a bathroom in the back... He has to use Velcro straps to keep the medicine cabinet and vanity cabinet doors strapped shut, and when you open the medicine cabinet after stopping, you best be prepared to pick most of the stuff out of the sink and replace it on the shelves. He had a lot of problems with the drain pipe fitting coming loose and leaking until I strapped it tight with self-fusing tape. There is still a small leak in the shower's drain, but, they don't use it very often and we just haven't gotten around to pulling the chloroplast in order to access it for repair. He has a second door in that rear bathroom to the outside; we've had to adjust it several times as it shifts on its mounting and binds. His kitchen is in a slide and the sink is closest to the rear, right next to the bathroom wall. He has to remember to take the Pur water filter off the faucet because it will pop off and bang around in the sink if he doesn't and he has had problems with the drains leaking under the sink (again, some judicious use of self-fusing tape has that fixed).

Just some of the reasons I don't want one; no "phobia" about it, I just don't want one. Lots of people like the rear kitchens and lots of people have them and they either don't have the above problems or they've figured out ways to cope. If that is the design that you like - go for it, that's why they still make them, for folks that like them and none of the reasons that I don't want one are insurmountable, I just don't want to deal with them.
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk Towed
webslave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 08:30 PM   #4

rear kitchen

I don't think the issue of a rear kitchen is as much a factor in a MH as a TT or 5th wheel unless the MH rides like a School bus.
Scout1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 10:42 AM   #5

We have had a rear kitchen and a middle kitchen. I like the rear kitchen for its convenience. Never have had any thing break or other horrors I've read about here. I think it boils down to how you pack and how you drive makes the difference
boji fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 11:41 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Had to go to the top see what forum I was in.

We've had a rear kitchen (Cardinal 31SB) and now a rear living room (Cardinal 3150).

The rear kitchen offers a bigger counter top / work area. Never had any issues with stuff falling out. But I went thru an modified all of the cabinets. Added 1/4 round molding to keep things from slide fore and aft, and non-slip pads to set the dishwares etc on. We also use child proof cabinet locks on all handles. (Have all of the above on my current rig too).

One of deal breakers for us was access to the frig when the slide is in. Our rear kitchen had the frig in the slide. The drawback to a rear kitchen is walking thru the living room to get to it. When you have guest sleeping on the sleeper couch, you're walking around them to get to the coffee pot. AND access to my coffee is important.
JohnT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 11:44 AM   #7

No phobia, just don't like the layout. I enjoy sitting in my recliner and looking out the back picture window and the scenery.
Old 01-29-2013, 11:49 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 450Donn View Post
I enjoy sitting in my recliner and looking out the back picture window and the scenery.

I usually like the view too.
JohnT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 11:50 AM   #9

Forest River Owners Club
Don't have a 5ver, but do have a TT. 1st TT had a mid kitchen. This one has a rear. I much prefer the rear kitchen. More work space, don't have to move everytime someone in the living area wants by. Refrig is at the back and seems to work more effieciently. Easier access thru rear door to go in and out if bar b quing, etc. Things do move in the cupboards but I have learned how to pak to keep that to a minimum. Overall, it's the best setup we've had.
Old 01-29-2013, 11:53 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
All of our fifth wheel have had rear kitchens and I like them. For one thing, they're out of the way of traffic flow, meaning people don't get in the way when I'm cooking. I've never had a problem with anything breaking. We did have one fifth wheel that had a separate gray tank for the kitchen, but the other two didn't. Haven't had a problem either way.
Old 01-29-2013, 02:31 PM   #11

I have a MorRyde suspension and a rear kitchen. I have hit some real bad bumps and never broke anything. Some 5'ers used to come without shock absorbers much less a decent suspension. Those were real bouncers and would break a cotton ball. This is where the bad press came from on rear kitchens.
ralper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 02:42 PM   #12

This is our second fiver with a rear kitchen. DW will have nothing else. Ours is totally useable with the slides in. If that was not the case, it may be a different story.
Kountryguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 03:03 PM   #13
JDT

Our rear kitchen has the same rear window as a rear living model so we can still look outside. Makes for a great view when washing dishes or sitting in the recliner. We haven't noticed any more rearranging of stuff back there than we had in our mid kitchen diesel motorhome.

We can't reach the fridge without opening a slide a foot or two but we generally don't need it when traveling anyway. We usually pack a lunch, drinks and snacks and keep them in the truck. The real advantage we see is basically the living and kitchen area are very open and add to the feeling of spaciousness. We have a pull out counter extension on one side of the counter and a portable cart/pantry with a counter top that we use when cooking. It adds a lot of counter space. Also, we only have one grey tank.
JDT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 08:06 PM   #14

We have am 30' TT with a rear kitchen and love it! The spacious feeling and extra counter space of a rear kitchen is hard to beat. Just pick your favorite floor plan and enjoy!
birddogfun is offline   Reply With Quote