Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-18-2019, 09:38 AM   #1

Rear ladder

We are having a 5th wheel built and are considering NOT having a rear ladder installed and just using the Warner (little Giant like) ladder that we currently use with our motor home.
I don't use the rear ladder on our current MH and just use our Warner but probably would in a pinch and it is handy for tech's to use I guess.
Any negatives of not having a ladder that I'm not taking into consideration? Our ladder on the rear of our MH is a glorified flag mount holder lol.
HDrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-18-2019, 09:46 AM   #2

If you have a portable ladder solution you are comfortable with that is tall enough to get you safely onto the roof and you store it in the rig then I would skip the installed ladder.

Less holes in the side and on the roof to worry about down the road and a cleaner look overall in my opinion.

Good luck whatever you decide.
VACHZHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 07:19 PM   #3

Good move IMO. I wish I could remove my ladder. But not worth it because of all the holes that would need filling/sealing. I won't/don't use it. I see the ladder as nothing more than a leak(s) waiting to happen.
Old 02-18-2019, 07:25 PM   #4

Pretty easy to see who doesn't do roof maintenance........
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 07:27 PM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
My MH came without a ladder. I like the clean look but don't like no ladder as I get up on the roof every few weeks to clean and look the sealant over. I carry a 7' folding ladder and a 15' extending ladder now.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 07:34 PM   #6

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Being of elder years, I find the built in ladder hard to climb. Goes straight up, no angle to it. Have had to seal it from water intrusion into the wall at the attachment points.

I carry a telescoping ladder that gets the job done.
egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 09:17 PM   #7

[QUOTE=bob caldwell;4641904]Pretty easy to see who doesn't do roof maintenance........[/QU
Not necessarily, I just prefer my Warner that extends far above the roof.
HDrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 12:03 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob caldwell View Post
Pretty easy to see who doesn't do roof maintenance........
Doing elevated maint. and doing it safely can be an acquired skill.

Numerous RV's of all sizes and shapes have incurred leaks / damage from the ladder attachment points, especially when used vigorously.
Just watch the fiberglass panels the stanchions attach to sometime, as an average size man scurries up and down.
Watching the crap folk hang on them flopping around running down the highway causes me to cringe also, another topic.

Our folding "Werner" compressed lays stored neatly across the truck bed. Extended to 15' it offers a hand hold above the roof line, applicable where needed. Modified pool noodles used at ladder contact points. Step ladder configuration(s) are perfect for many other maint. chores on truck and trailer.
https://us.wernerco.com/view/MTIAA-17
J & J, DRV Suites ES-38RSSA #9679
GM Denali, 3500HD-Max, 4x CC, 8' DRW,
EZGo-TXT, Clubcar Precedent
MtnTrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 04:11 AM   #9

I prefer having a built on ladder as it's very handy when you just want to check the roof or do something quickly. On a purchase, it certainly doesn't add much to the cost. And, it's not that hard to inspect and maintain where its attached to the trailer.

But, it's a personal preference so go with what works for you. Another point to consider is whether a ladder is preferred by more potential buyers on a resale and that in some cases, a ladder cannot be installed after it leaves the factory as some manufacturers don't include the bracing needed if a ladder isn't part of the order. I tend to think more folks want the ladder than not....but that's not backed by any statistical evidence.
Brake Buddy, 2015 Chevy Malibu
scbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 05:46 AM   #10
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
I prefer the built in ladder. Easy to pop up there when needed and I don't have another device to store. There is no right or wrong answer just different preferences.
Spdracr39 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 11:04 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomicRT View Post
Good move IMO. I wish I could remove my ladder. But not worth it because of all the holes that would need filling/sealing. I won't/don't use it. I see the ladder as nothing more than a leak(s) waiting to happen.
Ladder is easily removed. Just pull it off and reinstall the screws with sealer and some washers.

Ladder mounts commonly leak because of the torque and movement from climbing breaks the sealer. Once you reinstall the screws properly they will not leak.
Old 02-20-2019, 08:52 AM   #12
IC2

I don't use the ladder on our 5er except as a place to lean the Werner multi ladder. The Werner hooks in place over the OEM and provides a more secure setup. That OEM ladder being straight up is not my favorite way of getting on the roof. Also, it just feels flimsy for my 200 pounds along with being too narrow for my size 12 feet. Would I be witout that ladder - no as we don't usually travel with the space grabber Werner and there is always a chance that you need to get up on the roof. As far as leaks - maybe but in 50 years none of our RVs have leaked at the ladders but I alwys do preventive maintenance anywhere that water could get in.

I vote for a ladder and at the cost of a any new towable, it's a negligible item, used or not.
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 11:23 AM   #13

ladder removal

The ladder on the trailer is easily removed with a couple of spring loaded pins. All that will remain is the very top portion.

Mjdenn
mjdenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 06:51 PM   #14

I use our ladder to hold the satellite dish on w/bungie cords when parked along w/spot light for backing up.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MVC-039S.JPG
Views:	60
Size:	35.0 KB
ID:	235584  
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote