Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 01-06-2013, 06:02 PM   #1
Rear view camera for fifth wheel

I'm thinking about adding a Voyager Wireless rear view camera on the back of my new 36 foot 5th wheel. Has anyone had any experience with these units???

Stickhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-07-2013, 10:38 AM   #2
I do not currently have any rear camera on my unit.......yet! The search continues. I found this link to be helpful in what to look for in a camera system. eBay Canada Guides - EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT REAR VIEW CAMERAS

Voyager camera systems are definitely on my short list though. Hope this helps you out some.

2008 F450 & 2012 Arctic Fox 29-5K Silver Fox Edition 5th wheel
Paul & Sheryl
SlyFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 10:58 AM   #3
I should have mentioned this as well and you may even know about it. There is new technology out with Voyager called WiSight. This is a digital signal type wireless system that only the camera and monitor are compatible together, this eliminates interference that you can pick up and increases the range that the analog type systems are noted for. WiSight has a range of 60+ feet through objects. This link Voyager Systems & Kits has some more info on this as well. Follow the links to the U Tube videos on the systems as well.
2008 F450 & 2012 Arctic Fox 29-5K Silver Fox Edition 5th wheel
Paul & Sheryl
SlyFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 11:25 AM   #4

I installed 2 cameras on 5th wheels that I had.
I got both from the same place, price was verry good and both units worked perfect. You have
Options on what style of monitor you want. I had the 7 in . Google. rear view safety and have a look,

Dale M
DaleM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 12:25 PM   #5
I installed the Voyager Digital Wireless systemon my Alpenlite 29RK. Have been pleased with the system and like the fact is is wireless and easy to install. Has come in handy for several tight spots and seeing what's behind the unit while backing. Here is a comment I posted on a prior post about the system......

I have it mounted on the rear of a 29 ft Alpenlite towed by a F350 CC. Depending on 'where I'm at at any one point' during the travel/highway. It might lock up the video for a second and the signal strength might be one/two bars. When driving within the parks and backing up I've never had this problem with the video. I have it adjusted to see the tip on the bike rack and can see back to about 40-50 ft behind the unit. It has a wide view which makes it easy to see what's close behind the camper during travel or backing into a spot.

I bought the unit at Camping World on sale in the $500's and was an easy installation. I would purchase it again.

2000 Alpenlite, 29 ft Valhalla - 2014 F350
Workshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 04:43 PM   #6
I installed a hardwire system from Rear View Safety. They deal primarily with commercial vehicles, but the price was only $405 for a 7 inch monitor with 2 cameras. I installed one camera on the tailgate of my Dodge Ram dually so I can see the trailer hitch for towing boat, etc. The 2nd camera is mounted high on the rear of a 43 foot 5th wheel toy-hauler. I did not want to risk any signal strength issues on such a long trailer. The kit came with 65 feet of wire for the 2nd camera which was a PITA to run all the way to the front of the trailer. A stretchy wire connects the trailer to a threaded plug on the truck right next to my 7-pin trailer plug. The cameras also have infrared lights so no backup lights are needed at night. Cameras also include a microphone so you can hear your helper as you back into your spot for the night.

I have no interest in this company, but I have this product and I'm happy with it

Bill Davey is offline   Reply With Quote