Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 04-25-2015, 02:02 PM   #1
Rear View Camera System

I'm looking for any help you may want to offer. I purchased a Rear View Camera System for my 5th wheel. I installed the wire provided under the trailer and installed the camera. I installed the wire under my truck (F-250 diesel, 2011). I connected the monitor to a power plug in the truck (what some call a cigarette lighter slot) and plug in the wire from the camera. All seemed good until I pushed the on button for the monitor. The monitor did not show any display. The power-on light did not light either. I disconnected the monitor. I opened the hood of the truck and went directly to one of my 12 volt batteries and placed the power (red) and ground (black) on the matching poles. Pushed the power-on button - nothing. They system also has a wire for the reverse gear. I added this wire (blue) to the power wire (red) and repeated the above process - no luck. I'm puzzled. Any thoughts prior to shipping it back east.

keithbanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-25-2015, 04:05 PM   #2
Off it goes! I think its broke...

2002 Holiday Rambler 30RKD
2000 F250 diesel extended cab short bed
2014 Demco Autoslide 18K
Timay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 04:15 PM   #3
Evergreen Owners Club
If the company that you purchased it from has customer service, you might give them a call before sending it back.
Keith & Drena with Casey & P-nut (dogs) & Gabby (cat)
2014 Silverado 3500HD Dually 4X4
2014 Evergreen Bay Hill 365rl
mo5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 03:56 PM   #4
Evergreen Owners Club
Send it back and check into a wireless one. Our 2015 Blackstone 280RKSB came with a wireless one. The camera is wired into the trailer road lights for power and it is awesome! The monitor just plugs into 12 volt power in the truck. Start up the truck with lights on, wait a few seconds and blam! It is on.
Special ordered 2016 Bay Hill 375RE with 17.5 wheels/G114 Goodyears/Hydraulic disc brakes. 2016 F-350 Lariat Ultimate 6.7 Powerstroke 4X4 CC LB dually Hensley BD3 Air Ride Hitch.
schrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 04:08 PM   #5
If you've connected good 12v power to the monitor and grounded it solidly to the frame (not the battery) and the red power light fails to light up, the monitor is toast. Send it back for replacement.

Bad grounds are the cause of many electronic woes.

FYI, the extra blue wire is a "trigger" wire- it doesn't have to be connected to anything for the system to work.

We've had a wired RVS system since 2010 with no problems (our rig is too long for wireless)- I have 3 RVS cameras on our rig right now, and I like the system.
HoneyBadger is offline   Reply With Quote