Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-26-2013, 01:07 AM   #1

Solo Rvers Club
Rear view cameras 4 fifth's & TT's

I don't know if anyone has one of these, but I found back up cameras for a 5er or TT ... I like this idea and wonder if anyone has this installed, and how do you like it?

Here is the article.

Rear View Camera On Travel Trailer and 5th Wheel
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-09-2013, 03:55 AM   #2

I'm also curious about this. I tow a jet ski behind mine and it would be nice to be able to see it in case of a flat tire or something.
SultanGris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 11:29 AM   #3

A camera on the rear of an RV is very useful, and our previous RV, a Class A, came with one from the factory, so I appreciate what they can do. We're in a 5ver now, and I have given thought to it, but I'm turned off by the difficulty of installing it.

The author of the article didn't recommend any specific cameras or monitors, so if you were interested in pursuing his proposal, that's the first thing you'd need to do on your own. Available options for cameras and monitors probably run from $100 at the low end to over $1,000 for top quality stuff.

But after those items are in hand, I don't have clarity on the obstacles involved in getting such a system wired, and I'm relatively handy with things like this. It's easy enough to run wires under the trailer front to back. But with a Class A, the rear view camera is mounted inside the rear cap by the factory during construction. IMO, doing that with a 5ver already built would be a big project, and probably not practical for the do-it-yourselfer.

So, the option is to drill holes in the rear cap (I HATE drilling into the exterior), and mount something there with screws. But how do you get the wiring up to the camera? Placing it outside of the cap would look unfinished and amateur, and trying to get inside the rear cap looks like more trouble than it's worth, to me, at least involving removal of interior cabinets and such. Additionally, I'm not enthusiastic about having the camera wiring flapping around outside my truck cab either, so that goes to the effort in getting wires from the outside to the inside of the truck cab.

So, those are my thoughts and what holds me back from undertaking a wired backup camera project. I have planned to do something in this regard using portable wireless equipment, but so far, I haven't found anything that would work acceptably well.
Racklefratz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 07:02 PM   #4

New Horizons Owners Club
Enokie
One of the guys over on the NUWA Owners Forum got this for his 5th wheel.
WVOS713 Digital Wireless Observation System .
He installed it himself, and is very happy with the results. He ordered it from rvcams.com.
Old 12-09-2013, 07:11 PM   #5

I wanted a camera to keep an eye on my Goldwing on the trailer behind the 5th wheel.

Being somewhat of a cheapskate (I am Scottish) I found a wireless Peak brand back up camera at Sam's on sale for about $60.

This is intended for intermittent duty (backing up Duh!) and consists of the camera (license plate mounted), a wireless transmitter that is connected to the camera via cable, and the monitor.

Not wanting to drill, etc. as I wasn't very sure how this was going to work, I decided to mount the camera to a spare GPS suction cup mount. I used Goop glue and cable ties. The camera is now mountable INSIDE the back window of the 5er. The transmitter was installed in the basement of the trailer as far forward as possible for the best reception. Power was intended to be supplied by the back up lights but I wired it into the side clearance light on the 5er. This way I can turn the camera on for a peek by just turning the parking lights on. I also installed a "master" on/off switch so if I was running at night I didn't have to keep the camera on all the time. I mounted the monitor on the transmission tunnel of the Duramax using the hook side of some Velcro.

I install the camera before leaving and just run the cable on the floor to where I have the other end coming out from under a cabinet. I take it off when we arrive. Using these methods, nothing has been altered permanently, or no holes drilled to leak.

I have been using this system for 3 seasons now with good results. The only issue I have had is when driving through some towns, security cameras in some stores may cause temporary interferrence, but usually for only 5 to 10 seconds.

I had read where these cameras, being designed for back up function, didn't last very long when left on. That may be but mine has been left on for a couple hours at a time with no problems so far. I usually just peek for 30 seconds or so at a time every 10 minutes or so just to check on the tie-downs, etc. on the bike.

YMMV but this has worked well for what I need.

Good Luck.
Bipeflier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 08:50 PM   #6

I am actually going to install a camera on the back of my 5th wheel, and am going to use a wireless camera with infrared built in. I will have to wire it to the battery of the 5th wheel, but you can get up to 300 feet of reception, and i will mount my monitor on the dash of my truck, and that way I can view behind me anytime I need too. and backing up it would be an incredible asset to see what i am backing into. But something to check into if your looking for easy way of doing it with out the worry of running and hiding wires everywhere. When I get mine done I will post a tutorial of how I did it and where I made my connections if interested.
deputybulmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 01:00 AM   #7

We installed this very economical--yet high quality--system on our last fiver; purchased from ebay. It worked like a dream for 3 years of fulltiming (before we sold the unit) and i kept it on all the time while driving down the road (just because i could!).

Our new unit has a voyager system and the camera is inferior to the ebay camera!

FYI, i hard wired ours through 43ft of fifth wheel rather simply--fished the wire down through both fiberglass caps with a fish tape and some patience, then ran the cable down the middle of the underbelly covered in wire loom. The cam receives all power from the truck and is MUCH more reliable than wireless systems.

This seller has several configurations, including side mount cams, removable coil connectors and weather proof sockets. http://www.ebay.com/itm/7-COLOR-REAR...item3cb0d96145

If the above link has expired, try this one of the seller's complete listings: http://www.ebay.com/sch/leviathan_ho...p2047675.l2562
12 Tires is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 04:16 AM   #8

Solo Rvers Club
thank you all for your thoughts and contributions, there is a wealth of good information here. I am looking more for something to help with backing up as I am solo and hate the in and out business for hooking up.
Sorry to be late in the reply to all the posts, I am glad to see some of you have these cameras and indeed they do work!!

All the best in the coming year..
Old 12-26-2013, 04:07 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
I don't have facts to support this, but I've read that wireless cameras are not very reliable while traveling down the road. I wanted a camera to monitor while traveling and while backing the trailer up. I found a complete hard wired 2 camera system from "Rear View Safety" for a little over $400 including all required wiring, connectors and a 7" monitor. It was a PITA to install, but I tried to make it look professional by spacing cable ties every 12", using SS screws, keeping all visible wire straight and level. In operation it is very handy when passing another vehicle - you are sure the trailer is really clear of traffic. It has a built in microphone which helps with communication to the DW while maneuvering into a site.

I mounted the 2nd camera on the tailgate of the truck - very handy for parking and backing a crew cab dually.
Old 12-31-2013, 12:12 AM   #10

Another question is, have you found that one camera on the back in the middle is adequate?
Old 12-31-2013, 12:45 PM   #11

Freightliner Owners Club
FYI I bought a lower end flat panel 4 camera display and mounted it onto my RV. Works ok but I have issues with glare and the night vision is poor. If I had known this I would of spent the money and gotten a much higher unit.
Now I am looking to add a glare shield like what you might put on a computer monitor to see if that will help with the glare. If so the night vision I can deal with.
jroethke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 09:03 PM   #12

Thor Owners Club
I used one of these cameras on the rear of the travel trailer I used to have, Amazon.com: Rear View Camera System One (1) Camera Setup With Trailer Tow Quick Connect/Disconnect Kit Model # RVS-770613-213: Automotive. I really liked it, so I ordered another to put on my new 5th wheel. Like Racklefratz above, I didn't want to have the camera just attached to the back of the 5th wheel, so I found this housing, CPI - Backup Camera Housing Shroud 6.80 w x 4.37 t x 3.10 d (Open back - Oval shape) (BCH0002-1), from Cast Products, Inc.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	41RfLkaPf7L.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	25.3 KB
ID:	55720   Click image for larger version

Name:	BCH0002-1%20pic2.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	55721  

DavisK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 09:31 PM   #13

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You get what you pay for. Hard wiring is best. Large color monitors make it easy to identify objects. I have a Total Vision Camera System. SEE Total Vision Products: that is fully adjustable and programmable. It will tilt up down and 180 degrees left and right. Camera can be mounted flush to the back and wiring run inside or under the vehicle.
Preventable damage pays for the camera times over.
Doggy Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 07:46 AM   #14

Is there a camera system that can be installed on the 5th wheel, get the power it needs but no hassle to hook up to the truck? Also is there an in dash navigation system can view the camera at a push of the button or split screen? I would love to keep the instal in the truck neat and clean and built into the in dash navigation system but can be viewed at anytime not just when the truck is in reverse. Further I would like it to hook up to the truck to be simple or wireless. Does something like that exist?
Nwatkins176 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camera