Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 02-23-2010, 01:41 PM   #1
Rear View TV Camera Opinions

My wife and I are just about to order a new Montana 3400RL. We are considering why or why not to include a rear-view TV camera on this 5r. Any advice? Thanks for the help.

Walt C is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-23-2010, 01:55 PM   #2
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome Walt C to irv2.
As a option will cost extra money from dealer. If 5er has rear windows you may have to only purchase a portable camera unit with suction cups to aim through window and figure out how to get monitor to your truck cab.
If you have a good co-pilot you may not need one to help you back up.

98KSCA, 99MACA, 03 KSCA-3740- 8.1 Chev-- ALLISON Trans, now in good hands
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 04:17 PM   #3
Look at it this way. For around 50 dollars you can buy a pair of walkie talkies that will do the same thing plus. We use them all the time. That and my mirrors and we can back into almost any spot with no problems. I never talk, just listen to directions. If I do not see her in the mirror I stop and do not move until I do see her again. She can see things that a camera could miss, like rocks down low, tree branches way up high.
Don and Lorri
2007 Dodge 3500 dually
Resident Dummy.
450Donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 05:33 PM   #4
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
I see this is your first post, Walt C. Welcome to iRV2.

We purchased a wireless aftermarket backup camera/monitor system, similar to this one except ours was b/w monitor, for our previous fiver. DW installed it himself. We liked being able to see when we cleared a vehicle we passed before coming back over into that lane. Although, careful watching & a good set of towing mirrors can do the same. We had a lot of monitor interference (snow, horizontal & wavy lines) when travelling down the road. The picture would clear up when we were passed by semi's or in downtown traffic conditions - probably due to the wireless signal bouncing off the close vertical surfaces. The picture was also clear when slowly backing into a campsite. Hopefully, the transmitters have gotten better in the 5 years since we had ours.

Do you need one? Probably not. Are they a neat little toy to have? Yeah, I'd say so & could supplement (but not replace) using your mirrors & having a spotter. If you do get one, get the largest monitor you can.

Lori & Dave - FMA #3415 | FMCA #F419886 | RV/MH Hall of Fame Lifetime Member
2006 Fleetwood Bounder 36Z & 2014 Honda CRV AWD, My iRV2 Photo Albums
How is it one careless match can start a forest fire but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
NLOVNIT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 07:22 PM   #5
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Wireless,$79. at auto zone, marketed by Peak
NOTE; I am not responsible for typos, poor grammer or misspelled word !
04 Itasca, Meridian 34H, 330 Cat/2003 CR V Toad
1933 Ford 3 Window,as seen in Bye Bye Birdie
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 10:44 AM   #6
We picked up a wired back-up camera from Ebay for $300 bucks. It has a microphone and a 7.2in screen. you can wire it to come on only when shifted into reverse, but I have mine set so I can switch it on at any time. It is well worth the money, my unit has infra-red LEDs that shine back at least 25-30ft, and that makes backing up in the dark easy. We drive til well after dark, when we pull into the campground we just back it in with no yelling or stress.
TURBODOG1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 08:08 PM   #7
I happen to love my rear veiw camera. But I pull a boat behind my TT.I really don t use it for backing. But its a life saver when it comes to know what my boats doing back there. And its not really a rear veiw system Its a Nortech Security camera system I installed. Much stronger wireless signal (2.4 GHz).And requires cameras be hardwired to trailer.
flirtypup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 08:15 AM   #8
Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Originally Posted by Chuck 1935 View Post
Wireless,$79. at auto zone, marketed by Peak
Thank you Chuck, I didn't know that I could p/u a wireless 2.4ghz for such a reasonalble price. I will be getting one. When backing into campgrounds it is nice to make sure that a child has not wandered behind you, not to mention where I park, at home, is a bit tight. This will be VERY helpful!

The Walkies are a good idea if there is someone to give the other to. That is not always an option.

1990 Itasca Suncruiser 32'
1996 V8 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
7 Pomeranians, a white Chuihuhia & a 1982 Honda Express Scooter
~ Salt Creek Recreation Area Olympic Peninsula, Washington ~
PNWGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 01:25 PM   #9
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
You are very welcome. It sure looks good. They had it set up on a display when I went in to pick up some parts. If you can't find it at a store near you Peak has a web site that shows all of their distributors.
On my old motorhome I made a back up camera out of a security camera from Harbor Freight($29.) and had it hard wired into my front TV it worked great. The only problem was that everything was backwards. Sooo I mounted the camera facing the back of the MH and had it looking into a wide angle mirror that I stuck on the back of the MH. Now everything was wide angle and left was on the left and right was on the right. So theres much more information than you wanted.
NOTE; I am not responsible for typos, poor grammer or misspelled word !
04 Itasca, Meridian 34H, 330 Cat/2003 CR V Toad
1933 Ford 3 Window,as seen in Bye Bye Birdie
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 08:14 PM   #10
As some have spoken, a camera is a neat toy to have. Advantages let you see directly who's behind you driving down the road and will let you pass a little easier. Do you need it, not really. The Montana 3400rl is a great rig. Enjoy your travels down the road.
Rick & Jana
06 Mobile Suites 38 RL3; 14 RAM Big Horn 3500, DRW, LB, 4X4, 4.10 Rear axle, AISIN trans
Retired Army 2009 -- Making Memories
Army Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 08:39 AM   #11
I have pulled with a camera, and without and I can't understand why for less than $100 (got my peak at Sam's for $59) you wouldn't have one. Besides being able to see traffic behind you, I haul a double bike carrier and I can see if there is anything going wrong back there. YMMV

powderman is offline   Reply With Quote

rear view, tv camera