Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-14-2011, 01:28 PM   #15
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikron View Post
Can't see the lake/river with rear kitchen.
We could in ours (see pic in post #3 above). We had a lake view, just once at Briarpoint in WV, but we mostly were looking out to someone else's camper behind us.

Lori-

Lori & Dave - FMA #3415 | FMCA #F419886 | RV/MH Hall of Fame Lifetime Member
2006 Fleetwood Bounder 36Z & 2014 Honda CRV EX-L AWD, My iRV2 Photo Albums
How is it one careless match can start a forest fire but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-14-2011, 07:37 PM   #16

We have a 1998 Holiday Rambler Alumascape, 32ft, with the rear kitchen. I love it !!!! It is a wrap around with a window I can see everything.

Old 01-14-2011, 07:59 PM   #17

Have had mid kitchen and now rear kitchen. Pros/Cons for both. Have had more broken crockery with the present rear cabinets. But also have more counter room/living space. Largest loss of china (don't use plastic type) came when had to make emg stop when 3 autos tangled on the interstate right in front of me going downhill on a curve. Now use spring loaded curtain rods (Walmart) across cabinet openings to prevent dishes from sliding forward into cabinet doors in addition to the anti slip on shelves. I have tri axles with mor-ryde suspension and shocks
Old 01-15-2011, 10:15 PM   #18

We love our mid-kitchen, we have all the counters you could ask for and a real nice living area with a beautiful view out the big window & a 42 inch TV. Our 5er is 38 feet, some of the shorter ones take room from the kitchen or the living area. So it depends on the length how they are arranged. We are fulltimers.
Old 01-19-2011, 06:51 AM   #19

We currently have the mid kitchen in our 35' Denali. Before this rig we had a 30' Springdale with the rear kitchen. Our rear ktichen was very nice except with the slideout in there was not access to many of the cubbard doors which was kind of a pain. Plus, we had limited window view. With our new Denali, we have two very large bay windows to the rear and have gained much counter space. Have to vote for the mid kitchen as least in our two units.
Old 01-22-2011, 09:13 PM   #20

We have a 09 rear kitchen and the wife loves it. no one in her way well cooking. So far its been real good for us
Old 01-23-2011, 01:14 AM   #21

It is just personal preference, with four rigs I have had two rears and two mid kitchens. My self I didn't like the big bay windows in the rear, they where either to hot or two cold, so the only way I could eliminate the windows was to go to a rear kitchen. If I have a view I am not going to set in my rig and look at it, I'll be outside absorbing the view!
Old 01-26-2011, 01:13 PM   #22

Damon Owners Club
I can't agree more about the large rear window being a big problem when it's very cold or hot out, unless you have dual pane windows. Being back in the rear lounge your either freezing or too hot.

Sure we miss the view if your parked a certain way but we spend all or time outside not inside that's why we camp !

Ron W.
Old 01-29-2011, 07:06 PM   #23

We have an '07 Cougar 292 RKS with a rear kitchen that we really like. I agree with the added weight in the rear, but here's something to consider - more weight in the rear will take weight off of the pin box. I agree you have no rear view, but...we have big windows on both sides or our rig, so we have an excellent view either way. In many campgrounds, you back up to another rig - so who wants a view of the back of your neighbor's rig? This is our second rear kitchen 5er and we've enjoyed both.
rburckhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 08:42 PM   #24

We have a 2010 38' Grand Junction with the mid kitchen. I really wanted the big view out the back (got that), though I think keeping it cool in the summer may be a trick.

Another issue I see with the mid kitchen/rear window is there is very little flexibility in weight loading the trailer. Ours is definitely "nose heavy". We have very little storage behind the axle. I've already had it weighed and while "technically" it falls within the specs of our Dodge 1T, I don't think we can actually put the full cargo load in it without going past the recommended pin weight.
Old 02-09-2011, 07:05 PM   #25

Mid kitchen allows great views out the back and the side. Rear kitchen has no rear view, no access when stopping on the road (without putting out a slide) and more broken kitchen ware.
Old 02-09-2011, 07:23 PM   #26
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooverbill View Post
... Rear kitchen has no rear view, no access when stopping on the road (without putting out a slide) and more broken kitchen ware.
Not with ours (post #3). We had a view, could easily access the fridge (all that was necessary) without deploying a slide & the only broken kitchen ware was because I forgot to put a dish away & it slid off the counter.

Lori-
Lori & Dave - FMA #3415 | FMCA #F419886 | RV/MH Hall of Fame Lifetime Member
2006 Fleetwood Bounder 36Z & 2014 Honda CRV EX-L AWD, My iRV2 Photo Albums
How is it one careless match can start a forest fire but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 07:27 AM   #27

I agree with the above poster - our Cougar gives us ample access to the fridge with the slide in. Plus, I don't understand why so many people talk about broken items in a rear kitchen. We have pulled two different rear kitchen rigs across the country and back, and have NEVER had anything broken, probably because my DW (and BFF) knows how to pack the cupboards for travel. And as to the view, in all of the different sites we have occupied across the country, the vast majority of them haven't had a view that we want to see out the back.
rburckhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 07:54 PM   #28

I prefer rear kitchen. Great access to fridge with slide in, better counter space and corner windows with large one in back. Also have never broken anything while traveling. Besides in the mid I built a custom entertainment center, priorities.