Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-08-2011, 12:36 PM   #1

Rear vs Mid Kitchen

I'm looking down the road to get a 5th wheel. Can you all let me know your views on a rear kitchen area vs a mid kitchen area. From looking at the trailers at the rv show, I'm thinking a rear kitchen is better because of activity going on in the trailer.

What do you think?
NorCalCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-08-2011, 01:06 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Thumbs up Sunnybrook Sunset Creek

Sunnybrook now Winnebago of Indiana has a rear kitchen fifth wheel. Elvie Frye the President of Sunnybrook and I visited the Sunset Creek models and it featured a rear kitchen.

When I owned our fifth wheel, a Terry 32F it had a rear kitchen.

A fifth wheel with a rear kitchen has merit if you like that type of floorplan and it does make more living space available in the middle of the RV when so equipped.
·
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6415.jpg
Views:	316
Size:	344.3 KB
ID:	7576  
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 02:39 PM   #3
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
When we owned our Cougar 5-r, it had a rear kitchen. I sure miss it. It had more counter & cabinet space than I knew what to do with. With our current Bounder, I have just barely more real estate than what's seen next to the stove in our Cougar picture below.

Lori-
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	C286EFS014 - Copy.jpg
Views:	329
Size:	360.3 KB
ID:	7578  
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 05:21 PM   #4

Exclamation Rear Kit

We have a rear kit and it sure is nice, keeps the center of the unit open for people to do what ever they need to do with out being in the way of the chef. just make sure if the reffer is not blocked with the slide unit in or you will have to open it up to load or unload the trailer. our's is not blocked when the slides are in, make loading or unloading very easy, we can not open the slide at home too many tree's in the way
Old 01-09-2011, 08:45 AM   #5
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We owned a 5'er prior to the MH. It had a Mid Kitchen. We liked the wrap around counter space that it afforded, but mostly like the rear living area picture window on the back of the 5'er. It made for some very nice parking view arrangements at some CG.

Check both types out. go in, sit down, imagine camping and try to sort out the pro's and con's of each type. Then make up your mind based on your likes.

Happy hunting, happy trails.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 09:51 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
we had a rear kitchen 5er and no problems. we loved all of the counter and cabinet space. Some folks say a rear kitchen trailer has problems with the stuff in the cabinets moving around too much. If you have a good suspension system and shock absorbers, the kitchen should never be a problem.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 10:45 AM   #7

Rear kitchen= bigger kitchen space, lack of view, additional weight at the extreme rear of the trailer.
Center kitchen= better views out the rear of the trailer, better balanced trailer, more living space. You need to choose what is more important to you not what we might say.
Old 01-10-2011, 07:49 AM   #8

We have a 2009 Sunnybrook 3505 RI rear kitchen that we like a lot. The wife loves all the counter and cabinet storage space. I like the living area being separated from the kitchen. We always heard rear kitchen floor plans were hard on all kitchen components and cabinet contents, but has not been any problem with ours and we have many thousand miles on the rig. Only negative for me is do miss the big bay window in the back, but do have a bay window in one of our slides.
jayco46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 12:49 PM   #9

Excel Owners Club
Rear kitchens are fine, but I wouldn't put one in an ultralight. They stress the frame a little more than a midship location.
KTM Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 01:19 PM   #10

When I was looking at 5ers I saw that most side kitchens did not have enough counter space to set a coffee mug down much less space to cook. I have a rear L shaped kitchen with some counter space.

When looking at RVs see that you can get to the bathroom and the kitchen sink and refrigerator with the slides in.

If the frame is stressed by a rear kitchen then you do not want that rig because down the road the frame will fail due to being too light weight.

I have a nice large window over the rear counter that gives me a great view out back.
ralper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 07:18 PM   #11

Had a rear kitchen before, now mid kitchen. We would never go back, more room, nice windows in back, entertainment center, and the same amount of kitchen counter. We do hower have better pantry space and access with slides closed. The old one with rear kitchen did have a problem with some things moving around. I think it would probably have a lot to do with the type of suspension aand the amount of overhang behind the axles. We towed that trailer over 150000 miles, and no it isn't an issue everytime we went out, but there sure are a lot of rough roads across the country.
Larry
'13 Ram Laramie 3500, Aisin auto,4:10, Reese adapter and 20K hitch, '10 HitchHiker 36LKRSB
Larry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 08:09 PM   #12

The biggest issue with a rear kitchen is the g-loads imposed by it being so far behind the wheels. Whatever is in the fridge will get a real workout - your milk might have turned to butter after a couple of hundred miles.
Old 01-14-2011, 08:44 AM   #13

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalCamper
I'm looking down the road to get a 5th wheel. Can you all let me know your views on a rear kitchen area vs a mid kitchen area. From looking at the trailers at the rv show, I'm thinking a rear kitchen is better because of activity going on in the trailer.

What do you think?
O

I like the rear kitchen.
bbbarker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 09:03 AM   #14

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
5th wheel

Can't see the lake/river with rear kitchen. Mid kitchen would work just fine if I owned a 5-er. We pull our MH in if were on a site with lake/river view. Water view is very important to us, we both grew up in Boston on or near th Atlantic.