Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-17-2018, 07:16 AM   #15

Delivery is in the range of $1.50 per mile and Tampa is pretty far from Elkhart. Freight would be almost zero back in Michigan.
dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-17-2018, 03:56 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wundertaker View Post
Did you have to pay prep and freight charge???
Their 'sticker' showed the MSRP and then their 'no haggle' discounted price. No other detail. They tried to add $2,000 to the discounted price since I was not financing but paying cash. I refused to accept that and they said OK.

If there was any transportation fee it was buried in their numbers and not shown as a separate amount.
Old 11-17-2018, 09:25 PM   #17

OP, search for your model on RV Trader or RVT. Then decide how far you are willing to travel to pick it up. You will generally see prices get lower as you get closer to where it's made. Somewhere around 1.50 to 2 per mile is pretty standard transport fee.

If nothing else the RV Trader and RVT info is your best negotiating tool. Often times a dealer tries to "double-dip" with the transport fee. As in, they want an extra 2000 when the unit is already priced 2000 above the same unit being sold near the factory.
mtofell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 09:30 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtofell View Post
OP, search for your model on RV Trader or RVT. Then decide how far you are willing to travel to pick it up. You will generally see prices get lower as you get closer to where it's made. Somewhere around 1.50 to 2 per mile is pretty standard transport fee.

If nothing else the RV Trader and RVT info is your best negotiating tool. Often times a dealer tries to "double-dip" with the transport fee. As in, they want an extra 2000 when the unit is already priced 2000 above the same unit being sold near the factory.
Very interesting.....thanks so much!!!

Wundertaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 10:02 PM   #19

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
$2200 freight fee seems $$$$. I have followed a few RV transporters on YouTube, where at the end of the day, they don't make much coin. So someone is making it?

"Out The Door Price" is the only way I deal. I don't care how a dealer slices & dices the price. I just tell them, I'm only writing one check. This is what I want, the interior, options.

In our last purchase between the 4-5 dealers I got quotes from, there was a fairly large difference in price between them, both "with trade" & "without". Up to $8k difference for a 28' ORV trailer.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 07:37 AM   #20

The bottom line of pricing is you can get the MSRP rather easily for most models BUT that doesn't include any dealer added fees such as delivery, PDI, document fees, taxes, title fees, paint sealants, interior sealants, and who knows what else the tack on that mostly is ADP, Additional Dealer Profit. If you look at RV Trader and RVT you will see a wide variety of pricing for identical models. Some will list the MSRP, others some form of a discount. Some will advertise "no hassle pricing". That's no hassle for them, not you. Don't be sucked into the free lifetime warranty ploy. Not free and won't be your lifetime. Look at the fine print on that.

Whether you get a left over 17 or 18 or the latest model 19 depends on how long you have it and what the actual pricing is. CAUTION: Models of the same make and year might be built differently with different features. RV manufacturers will make mid-year changes with no notification to consumers, or dealers for that matter. Example GD in the Solitude now installs a 3500# trailer hitch at no additional cost. On some Solitudes the shower door was replaced with a shower curtain. Vanleigh made what I consider a significant change in the location of the dresser in the BR on their 320GK/Beacon34RLB models. New location partially blocks the access to the BR. Whether that's an improvement or not is subjective. You may not find about the differences until delivery so you may have to be somewhat flexible about that.

That is why I suggested the out-the-door pricing. You have to do the leg work to determine the MSRP and what YOU consider acceptable ADP for the dealer with fees. Some things are pretty fixed, taxes and title fees unless you buy out of state than new rules come into place. You can finance with the dealer and not affect that out-the-door pricing. In past purchases, vehicles, the dealer had access to financing offers that were better than I the consumer had.

So my suggestion is do your pricing research for the RV you want with the options desired, calculate fixed costs such as taxes, title fees and figure (estimate) any delivery/transportation costs. Determine what YOU will pay them for that RV as that out-the-door price and submit the offer. Make it clear that that is final cost and nothing is added later. There worst you can get is a no. I would submit that same offer to a few dealers that you select so you can make an apples-apples comparison.
chunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 08:44 AM   #21

The problem with buying GD products is they don't allow dealers to show discounted pricing like the other MFG's from Indiana do. It's really rare to see a GD product with the price slashed. You can look at Montanas, Cedar Creeks, Big Horns with slashed prices all day long.
It makes it tough to compare prices from other dealers on the internet. Buyers have to spend more time in contact with the dealer doing Emails or phone calls. Not that thats a bad thing, but it is more work.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 09:51 AM   #22

We bought our DRV from Lazy Days in Florida. I took 38% off their "Best Internet Price" and made an offer. They came back $1500 higher. I said OK but we wanted separate Splendide washer/dryer and Winegard Traveler installed in that price. They said OK.
Old 11-18-2018, 02:59 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post
The problem with buying GD products is they don't allow dealers to show discounted pricing like the other MFG's from Indiana do. It's really rare to see a GD product with the price slashed. You can look at Montanas, Cedar Creeks, Big Horns with slashed prices all day long.
It makes it tough to compare prices from other dealers on the internet. Buyers have to spend more time in contact with the dealer doing Emails or phone calls. Not that thats a bad thing, but it is more work.
I looked on RV Trader and there are new 310GKs, 18 and 19 models that range from 60-106K. 106K would be highly optioned and FBP. Most the new 19s run upper 80s so apparently GD gave them permission to advertise lower or they didn't get the word. GD is one of the builders that lets you build and price online without having to go through a dealer and their BS. Example I priced a 19 Solitude that I was considering ordering with the FBP and most of the options offered. Came to around 104K+-. Figure 30% off that and I have a starting point. Vanleigh lets you fill out a build and price but if you want the $$$$, you have to submit the form and let a dealer tell you. I prefer to do it myself. I didn't look at any Thor products so don't know how they work.
Old 11-18-2018, 11:40 PM   #24

I looked on RVtrader at 310GK's and didn't see any discounted. MSRP on a lightly optioned 310 is $84K+. All of the 310's were in the $84K and up range. With a modest 25% discount the price should be $63K. Never saw any at that price except for used ones.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 07:32 AM   #25

Quote:
I looked on RVtrader at 310GK's and didn't see any discounted. MSRP on a lightly optioned 310 is $84K+. All of the 310's were in the $84K and up range. With a modest 25% discount the price should be $63K. Never saw any at that price except for used ones.
That's about what we paid for our 2018 310gk last March.
Old 11-19-2018, 08:28 AM   #26

Quote:
There are 2018 310GKs in League City TX, Knoxville TN, Portsmouth MA, Katy TX in the $60-64K range. A 2019 for $79K in W.Palm Beach fl.

There are a few used at a bit less. Todays search.

Tags
fifth wheel