Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-11-2016, 11:20 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnTrek View Post
Ok so you've increased the overall weight of original trailer GVWR of 6435lbs with heavier axles, plus another axle and equip. Granted some of it is un-sprung, say -500# from CCC. What has been done to the hitch head and pin box, what are they rated at? Most weld failures I've witnessed on trailers whether bumper pull, goose neck or 5'r have been with the hitching end of the trailer. Please tell us you don't want to haul a car in in the garage.

I didn't increase anything. i don't own the trailer. Just looking at it.
The owner pulled out the bedroom and a bunch of cabinets. This model had the main bedroom at the rear.
Then he added the axles with higher capacity. I don't want to haul a car I want to haul a sxs.
I guess we'll have to see what it weighs right now and take it from there.
ROLLNSMOKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-11-2016, 11:23 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by V3600 View Post
Do you plan to load it up with toys anywhere close to the carrying capacity of those three axles? Me? I'd go find a real toy hauler that hasn't been modified; without any issues.

Absolutely not. All I want to haul is a sxs and my camping gear.
Like I said before, i'm just looking at the trailer I haven't bought it yet.
It's pretty cheap to buy compared to a 15-50,000 toy hauler and I don't have that to spend.
Old 08-11-2016, 11:25 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by road dogs View Post
Does the manufacturer make their own frame or are they using another supplier like Lippert? Lippert frames are generally certified to the mfgr's spec and not an ounce more. Some mfgrs build their own frames to a higher spec and may have more "headroom" for over spec loading..

I'm not sure to be honest with you.
It would be nice if somebody that knew these early 90's 5th wheels and how big the frames are would chime in.
I haven't actually looked at it yet just saw pictures.
Old 08-11-2016, 11:29 PM   #18

Recertified 5th wheel with larger axles???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
Page two of this B.C. MOT document , in the first paragraph , simply states " The GVWR cannot exceed manufacturers specs." I take that as no re-certification. Special rules for home built UNDER a certain weigh , and that's where you got through with your old snowmobile trailer, they probably just ran it through as a home built.

I would think all provinces would have a similar rule.

I do know that when ICBC brought in rules requiring all home built trailers to have a safety inspection before they could be insured , a LOT of trailers were scrapped.

Well I'm in Alberta and You will never get pulled over here like you will in B.C. I called Dot and they said if it looks really unsafe you might get pulled over but other than that it's unlikely.
But I still want it to be safe and legal.
Who knows what this things weighs as it sits right now. I should know by the weekend.

Tags
5th wheel