Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-29-2013, 07:17 PM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Recommended Cordless Camera for 5r?

Looking at a cordless camera for 5r. There are a lot of them out there all with varied reviews. Some state they have poor range which leads me to believe that on a 5r you would need one of the better ones out there.

One that sounds would work is the iball wireless. It has a strong magnetic mount and 200' range.

Any one else use one on the 5r? Brands you like and those you do not?

Thanks! Jim
Kro1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-30-2013, 06:36 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kro1957 View Post
Looking at a cordless camera for 5r. There are a lot of them out there all with varied reviews. Some state they have poor range which leads me to believe that on a 5r you would need one of the better ones out there.

One that sounds would work is the iball wireless. It has a strong magnetic mount and 200' range.

Any one else use one on the 5r? Brands you like and those you do not?

Thanks! Jim
I cannot remember the name of mine but the camera works pretty good. I mounted the camera on the license plate frame and connected the wires to the light at that point. Lights need to be on to power it but that is not a problem. The inside unit plugs into the cig lighter.

The distance between them is about 40'. I can change the view from the front unit.
wingman8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 07:05 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I have tried a number of them, the latest was the Swift Hitch. I had to send them ALL back for a refund but I was out shipping in both directions plus restocking fees. It has cost me a bundle to be a "test" site for all of these so called wireless backup cameras.

I wanted one to use solely for hitching up my 30 foot Pace cargo trailer to my 40 foot motor coach. The rear view camera that came on the coach is not for that purpose and I was tired of having "disagreements" with my wife.

After all of the trials I was about to give up when I came across a Tire Pressure Monitor Company that also sold a wireless backup camera. I talked to them on the phone and was given the assurance that if it did NOT meet my expectations I could send it back without ANY charges whatsoever. No out of pocket expense.

I ordered one and tired it out and I notified the company that I will not be sending it back as it was the FIRST one that actually worked as described. It give a great useful picture with the monitor suctioned cupped to my driver's window and the camera is suctioned cupped to the engine cover in the rear looking straight down over the hitch ball so I can line up the trailer tongue directly over the ball.

The screen is clear with no lines or snow BUT the image does dropped out for a second or two sometimes due to communication between the two devices. That is not a problem for me. Having a clear usable image on the screen is MANDATORY.

The system comes with one camera and monitor but it is expandable by adding up to three more cameras. Everything is 12 VDC powered.

The company is a "recommended vendor" for this forum and is called Truck Systems Technologies.

Vehicular Camera System - Truck System Technologies, Inc

I do not use their TPMS for many reasons but I do recommend their Backup Camera System.

I checked out the iBall camera you had mentioned in your post and the only way I would TRY it is through a Amazon purchase so if it did not perform up to my expectations it would be sent back. Amazon is very good in returning stuff to them. The ONLY downside to the iBall Camera is the frequency that it uses is the SAME as Bluetooth so there could be some problems using it if any Bluetooth devices were being used in the area. I use a Bluetooth Hands-free device for phone calls so it won't work for me.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 07:17 AM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Thanks Richard,
I went ahead and ordered the iball thru Amazon a few hours ago. I rely heavy on reviews for any products and seen the comment about Blue tooth. But others spoke highly even those who had simular experience to the earlier ones you mentioned.

For the money, I thought it is worth the try and you are correct Amazon is a good company to trust.

My main concern was also use with a 5r and I have not seen or talked with any 5r owner with one.. good or bad. Thanks all for the input. I will update on mine when it arrives.
Old 06-24-2013, 11:06 AM   #5

Thor Owners Club
We have been testing out the iball and it so far has worked very well. Good purchase. The magnetic mount gives us the option to use in many ways when a 2nd set of eyes are helpful

Tags
camera