Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-07-2013, 07:46 AM   #1

reducing side to side movement in 5er

We recently upgraded from a TT to a 32' 5er. We have searched the threads for info in reducing lateral movement without much luck. Yesterday we purchased BAL X chocks and have noticed some reduction in front to back motion but still feel sideways movement. Any suggestions?

Blind daters is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-07-2013, 08:10 AM   #2

I use a set of jack stands, the $40 variety. Just snug them up just in front and behind the suspension. They are called stack jacks. There are plenty of solutions out there costing hundreds more, try this before spending on those solutions.

Old 07-07-2013, 11:10 AM   #3

Send a message via ICQ to wandering1
When someone is walking around inside the 5er it will bounce/wiggle. Rubber tires will bounce, suspension systems are made to bounce. To eliminate the bouncing/wiggling you need to keep the weight from pushing down on the tires and suspension by making sure your stabilizers are tight between the 5er and the ground. Don’t just let them out far enough to touch the ground, turn the crank more to make sure they are tight so they will not allow the 5er to push down on the tires. Use a bipod/tripod under the king pin. Make sure it is tight between the ground and the king pin, don’t just adjust it till it touches, tighten it so the front overhang will not move. Make sure to check the stabilizers and bipod/tripod every couple of days because they will loosen up over time. Doesn’t make sense spending a lot of money on landing jack stabilizers when the landing jacks are stable and don’t bounce up and down. If you have properly adjusted the stabilizers and bipod/tripod then you shouldn’t have any bouncing/wiggling. This has worked for me over the past 15 years.
Chocks are to keep the 5er from rolling forward or backwards. They do not eliminate the weight of the 5er from pushing down and causing the bouncing/wiggling. If you park on a site that has a incline/decline then you probably want to use chocks to keep your 5er from rolling when you unhitch.
There are a lot of other options out there to “eliminate” the bouncing/wiggling if you have the extra money and want to spend it.
Old 07-07-2013, 02:41 PM   #4

Florida Cooters Club
Coastal Campers
We have a heavy Carriage Cameo with the Big Foot Auto Leveling jacks. Jus like anyone else we would get the movement you speak of in or rig. After a lot of research about the options and after speaking the owner of Steady Fast Stabilizers, we bought a set and installed them. The difference is unreal! I suggest you look into to them. The system can be used with our type of leveling system as well as the typical fiver set-up consisting of front landing gear and rear scissor jacks. Good luck, Phillip SteadyFast: 5th Wheel and RV Travel Trailer Stabilizer System
jdpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 03:00 PM   #5

You need JT Stabalizers or the equivalent. I DIY'd my own JT's. Put some on the front and made a diagonal brace for the rear. On solid surfaces it's rock solid. On dirt about 90-95% is gone.

Old 07-08-2013, 07:38 PM   #6

I went with a tri- pod under the hitch pin. Huge difference. Try it you will love it.
Old 07-08-2013, 09:33 PM   #7

Florida Cooters Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacksmith9 View Post
I went with a tri- pod under the hitch pin. Huge difference. Try it you will love it.
I used a tripod some of the time as I was not always able to use it due to terrain such as an uneven site. The tripod did nothing for the rear of the coach but was a huge help for the front. Also it took up storage space when not in use and space under the nose of the fiver for bikes etc.
With the Steadyfast system, it is permanently installed taking up no storage space, it is always able to be used, it takes less than 45 seconds to deploy/secure, and it takes the wiggle out of the coach front, back, and side-to-side. Trat yourself to it - you won't regret it. Phillip
jdpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 11:05 PM   #8

We use the Plug it Right Stabilizer's on the landing gear, much better than the TriPod we used to have and do not have to store them.
Took about 90% of the shake out as it stops front to rear and side to side.
As other have said, when I installed the Reico Titan Leveling system and now can get the weight off the axles and tires, we are rock solid now.
Rob_Fla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 08:54 AM   #9

The suspension on your fiver must be markedly different than it was on your TT if you are noticing it this much (the axle rating, tires, they way you laded the fiver vs. the TT, etc.). If you are walking on that suspension and it is no taken "out of action" it will bounce. You get out of the bed to go to the John, it will bounce and make the other ("sleeping") person unhappy. So you have to eliminate it's ability to move when you are moving around in it.
On a fiver that shouldn't be that difficult. Front jacks are already "hard on the ground", so all you have to do is to stop the rear from going up and down.
Simplest solution (and the cheapest), two jack stands under the rear bumper and you really have to crank them up tight against the bumper, the other option (more expensive, but more "elegant"), crank down stabilizers under the rear. Again crank them down hard, I had those on one of my fivers and also carried couple of pieces of 4 x 4 lumber to put under those on soft ground.
The "ultimate", hydraulic stabilizers front and back. Tripod under the king pin helps some but not as much as something directly under the rear.

hjs
Old 07-09-2013, 12:47 PM   #10

Another way to help reduce bounce is before you completely level it front to back, lower the rear stabs, then lift the front to level, that will put more pressure on the rears. The problem with the scissor type stabs is that they aren't a solid type jack. Screw jacks will give more of a solid feel. But just more work.
Old 07-09-2013, 09:14 PM   #11

The JTs will give the most stabilization as they are on the front and rear of the trailer. They cut the sway at each end and fore and aft movement.
There are other brands that work the same.

I use a 5th wheel pin stabilizer for the front. On the rear I use BAL telescoping stabilizers. And adustable chocks that eliminate fore and aft movement.

Scissor jacks ?? I have two pair hanging in the tractor shed. IMO useless for sway.
JIMNLIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 07:12 AM   #12

Thanks for the input! We will look into the JTs or the Steadyfast- now, it's just a matter of deciding between the two and which will work best for us. At first look, the Steadyfast appear to be easiest but both seem like they will do what we are asking.

Blind daters is offline   Reply With Quote