Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-02-2013, 01:44 PM   #71

Monaco Owners Club
And the most important thing - it matches your truck !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-02-2013, 06:33 PM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmalikone View Post
Redwood doesn't have anything on Cedar Creek! Like most other models between the New Horizons,DRV's,Excel Lifestyle at the top - Cedar Creek holds its own with those that "Say" they are Fulltime, high end.

When you look at the build you have to get beyond 12 inch frame, two inches of insulation, G tires, 7000 lbs axles to get into the top end!
DRV has 3" in walls, 8000 lb axles, 15" stacked channel. why u downing them

2003 Teton Grand Freedom. 2006 Freightliner Century 120 with Detroit 14L and Ultrashift.. Full time going from job to job. Building and maintaining plants across the USA. Sold 2006 Mobile Suites 32TK3
glennwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 08:27 AM   #73

From what I read rmalikone was stating that Cedar Creek compares favorably to the top tier 5th wheels available and don't see that as a put down on the models he mentioned.

We've been full time in our Redwood 36FL for 2 years and 37 states and still love this unit.
Old 06-03-2013, 09:29 PM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennwest View Post
DRV has 3" in walls, 8000 lb axles, 15" stacked channel. why u downing them
Maybe I didn't say it clear enough. The OP just bought a Cedar Creek and did not buy a Redwood. The list of DRV,Excel... are the high end 5th wheels (New Horizon was not listed, everyone knows they are at the top). There are other 5th wheels (like Redwood) that state that they are in that top tier/or Fulltime implying top tier, which they are not (IMO). I then list the build needed to make it into that high end (which in one combination or another my list does have). I also said that Cedar Creek (which OP purchased) was as good as any of those that state they are top tier like Redwood and others which I won't mention (flame war not needed). Not sure if that clears things up? There was no knock on DRV etc, and no knock on Redwood & others on there build! Just a rap when they try to get into the top tier with the same build as Cedar Creek, Montana, Pinnacle, Bighorn . Glitz factor with an extra here or there doesn't make them High End.
Old 06-04-2013, 12:03 AM   #75

sorry. misunderstood your post
2003 Teton Grand Freedom. 2006 Freightliner Century 120 with Detroit 14L and Ultrashift.. Full time going from job to job. Building and maintaining plants across the USA. Sold 2006 Mobile Suites 32TK3
glennwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 01:41 PM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmalikone View Post
Maybe I didn't say it clear enough. The OP just bought a Cedar Creek and did not buy a Redwood. The list of DRV,Excel... are the high end 5th wheels (New Horizon was not listed, everyone knows they are at the top). There are other 5th wheels (like Redwood) that state that they are in that top tier/or Fulltime implying top tier, which they are not (IMO). I then list the build needed to make it into that high end (which in one combination or another my list does have). I also said that Cedar Creek (which OP purchased) was as good as any of those that state they are top tier like Redwood and others which I won't mention (flame war not needed). Not sure if that clears things up? There was no knock on DRV etc, and no knock on Redwood & others on there build! Just a rap when they try to get into the top tier with the same build as Cedar Creek, Montana, Pinnacle, Bighorn . Glitz factor with an extra here or there doesn't make them High End.
From my engineering days (now retired) I poured over details of the "full time/all season" RV's. R-factor (insulation), structural and weight were key factors. For the high end 5th wheels I found a very close comparison when considering four season use (weights do not compare). I then drew a line in the sand on weight of the 5th RV because my garage size would allow me to park a new F-350 Super Duty with short bed. Our HOA does not allow parking in the driveway for the long term. The F-350 Super Duty was ordered from Ford with the necessary options for a 5th wheel RV of up to 16,000 lbs (I always travel with empty tanks). Those changes drove the overall cost of the truck into the mid-70's and took three months to receive but was well worth it. Having the truck decision in the bag we looked at what we were limited to. The Cedar Creek, Alpine and a couple of other 5th wheels remained on the list and were close to each other in costs when equipped with similar options. We then visited shows and dealers to review floor plans that Carol was interested in. That was a year long process including the custom truck. She choose the Redwood 36RL for overall appeal to her. Yes - I also really like it. The fit/finish of the Redwood was a head above the other candidate 5th wheels. Having the cave like storage area with full width double stacked shelves was a plus to me while the 6.5 KW gen set was a nice fit into the forward/front storage area that was factory prepared for a generator.

The Cedar Creek, Alpine and the other candidates were all very nice and most likely would do a great job. For us it came down to overall appeal.

At interstate speeds, here in the Midwest our Redwood (with the Trail Air air loaded pin box, Reese Elite 18K slider 5th wheel hitch) are really a great combo and pulls just as smooth as our previous Sierra 33-foot TT.

I believe that any of the "all seasons high end" 5th wheel RV's could be a good choice. The appeal, cost, floor plan and tow vehicle were key factors in the buying process for us.
Old 06-05-2013, 09:40 AM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCAircraft View Post
From my engineering days (now retired) I poured over details of the "full time/all season" RV's. R-factor (insulation), structural and weight were key factors. For the high end 5th wheels I found a very close comparison when considering four season use (weights do not compare). I then drew a line in the sand on weight of the 5th RV because my garage size would allow me to park a new F-350 Super Duty with short bed. Our HOA does not allow parking in the driveway for the long term. The F-350 Super Duty was ordered from Ford with the necessary options for a 5th wheel RV of up to 16,000 lbs (I always travel with empty tanks). Those changes drove the overall cost of the truck into the mid-70's and took three months to receive but was well worth it. Having the truck decision in the bag we looked at what we were limited to. The Cedar Creek, Alpine and a couple of other 5th wheels remained on the list and were close to each other in costs when equipped with similar options. We then visited shows and dealers to review floor plans that Carol was interested in. That was a year long process including the custom truck. She choose the Redwood 36RL for overall appeal to her. Yes - I also really like it. The fit/finish of the Redwood was a head above the other candidate 5th wheels. Having the cave like storage area with full width double stacked shelves was a plus to me while the 6.5 KW gen set was a nice fit into the forward/front storage area that was factory prepared for a generator.

The Cedar Creek, Alpine and the other candidates were all very nice and most likely would do a great job. For us it came down to overall appeal.

At interstate speeds, here in the Midwest our Redwood (with the Trail Air air loaded pin box, Reese Elite 18K slider 5th wheel hitch) are really a great combo and pulls just as smooth as our previous Sierra 33-foot TT.

I believe that any of the "all seasons high end" 5th wheel RV's could be a good choice. The appeal, cost, floor plan and tow vehicle were key factors in the buying process for us.
I don't put Cedar Creek, Montana and the like into that upper end, not saying they aren't good trailers' - I live Fulltime in mine. I think Redwood is in that same class, but try's to represent itself as being in that upper class which by it's build it is not. IMO you need to have the items I listed to move up in class from that upper middle class (Cedar Creek,Montana,Pinnacle,Bighorn...) to the high end (New Horizon,Excel,Lifestyle...).
Old 06-29-2013, 06:35 PM   #78

Being a Redwood RL owner for over a year, I can't sing the praises enough for the company and their product. I recently went through a RV show to re-compare brands since I've had mine for a while. I walked away without seeing anything that would come close to the wood, fit and finish of the Redwood.

Like "stevea1956" had posted earlier, it's one thing for the RVs to look good. I've been all over the country with mine and it's holding up GREAT.
dave&ginny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 07:45 AM   #79

Thor Owners Club
Smile Junk RV

Quote:
Originally Posted by magzne1 View Post
Being a Redwood RL owner for over a year, I can't sing the praises enough for the company and their product. I recently went through a RV show to re-compare brands since I've had mine for a while. I walked away without seeing anything that would come close to the wood, fit and finish of the Redwood.

Like "stevea1956" had posted earlier, it's one thing for the RVs to look good. I've been all over the country with mine and it's holding up GREAT.
You may be one of the few lucky ones. We settled our litigation with redwood and are very proud to say "We are no longer a redwood owner"

Lillyputz
Old 07-02-2013, 11:27 AM   #80

Florida Cooters Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by lillyputz View Post
You may be one of the few lucky ones. We settled our litigation with redwood and are very proud to say "We are no longer a redwood owner"

Lillyputz
Hope you did OK in your settlement. Anyway, curious what you are going to replace the Redwood with? Phillip
jdpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 08:26 AM   #81

Thor Owners Club
New 5th wheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdpm View Post
Hope you did OK in your settlement. Anyway, curious what you are going to replace the Redwood with? Phillip
We did very well. Highly recommend anyone with a problem rv, go talk to a lemon law attorney.
We are looking real hard at the Lifestyle.

Lillyputz
Old 07-22-2013, 08:10 PM   #82

I'm new to the forum. I have a 2009 Cameo 35SB3 that we were in full time from late 2008 until 2010. In Aug 2013 we are going back full time and have been looking at the Redwood 36RL. Any updates from anyone on the Redwood experience? We love the way it looks and the added features over our Cameo. How about the earlier discussion on AC cooling problems. I had one AC unit in Cameo living area when I bought it but soon there after added bedroom unit. Has anyone experienced any warranty issues with Redwood? I here Redwood who owns Carriage rights is bring it back soon. Thanks
Old 07-23-2013, 01:05 AM   #83

Smile Redwood Warranty Issue Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by lstevens1950 View Post
I'm new to the forum. I have a 2009 Cameo 35SB3 that we were in full time from late 2008 until 2010. In Aug 2013 we are going back full time and have been looking at the Redwood 36RL. Any updates from anyone on the Redwood experience? We love the way it looks and the added features over our Cameo. How about the earlier discussion on AC cooling problems. I had one AC unit in Cameo living area when I bought it but soon there after added bedroom unit. Has anyone experienced any warranty issues with Redwood? I here Redwood who owns Carriage rights is bring it back soon. Thanks
A few small warranty issues on my 2013 Redwood 36FL did occur and were immediately and professionally taken care of. Of the four RV's I have owned the Redwood has been the most trouble free. We also love the look of our Redwood and enjoy every minute over the past nine months.
Old 07-23-2013, 12:03 PM   #84

We're still fairly new to Redwood (November 2012), but love our Redwood 36FB. Looks great, minor warranty issues, etc. We find it very comfortable for full timing. Bought it over several options including Cedar Creek.

gcakia is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heartland, rvs