Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-23-2013, 03:20 PM   #85

Having just purchased a 2013 Montana 3725RL after looking at how others welded their frames and how Keystone (or their frame builder) welded theirs I went with the Montana. Also because of the 12" I beam frame, 3 inch walls, MorRyde suspension and a host of other reasons so we bought it.

I looked at the welds on the Forest River Cardinal's which cost more than the Montana (but lower MSRP??) I looked and found the frames were only welded halfway and the rest left open, I was shocked when I saw this plus the floors had so much give.

The Redwoods were nice as well but going through all of them I couldn't justify the higher cost. Granted all of them I saw had full body paint but the Montana has the Big Sky option which gives full paint and a few other things I would have liked putting it into the range of the Redwoods.

I like the Redwoods a lot, but reading this thread really opened my eyes, I was a Class A owner before so I'm learning about a whole new segment to me. Hopefully the Montana is a good rig for the long term, looks like I'll find out.

EndeavorV10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-23-2013, 06:03 PM   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by lstevens1950 View Post
I'm new to the forum. I have a 2009 Cameo 35SB3 that we were in full time from late 2008 until 2010. In Aug 2013 we are going back full time and have been looking at the Redwood 36RL. Any updates from anyone on the Redwood experience? We love the way it looks and the added features over our Cameo. How about the earlier discussion on AC cooling problems. I had one AC unit in Cameo living area when I bought it but soon there after added bedroom unit. Has anyone experienced any warranty issues with Redwood? I here Redwood who owns Carriage rights is bring it back soon. Thanks
Since you have a Carriage, I would recommend you look real carefully at the Lifestyle - - - excellent frame and wall build. Cabinetry is all Amish built like the Carriage was and they have carefully corrected a few of the little glitches in the last Carriages built. Redwood is run by the president of Carriage that took it into the gutter.

Bob

Old 07-23-2013, 06:29 PM   #87

Redwood RL

So far I've had my RL for about 15 months and have pulled well over 20,000 miles. Yes I've had some warranty problems but the company has been a pleasure to deal with. Over all I'm very happy with the Redwood but as with all RVs they aren't trouble free.
dave&ginny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 10:13 PM   #88

We came within an inch of purchasing a Redwood last week.
I started to get a bad feeling when I noticed alot of shoddy workmanship. Molding coming off of walls. wall panels bowed out and not attached. Screws sticking up out of the floor vents. Fireplace installed crooked. I started to wonder that if they were that careless with things that you could easily see. What kind of workmanship went into the things that you couldn't see?
The salesman led us to believe that the frame had a 5 year warranty. The day we were going to sign the papers, after I prompted him, he told us that he was mistaken and the frame warranty was only for 2 years. Albeit, a 2 year warranty is twice what most offer, I walked out on the principle that I had been misled for a week.
Old 07-24-2013, 06:25 AM   #89

Ford Super Duty Owner
Redwoods have a 2 two year warranty on all components within them and a five year warranty on their frames. Much better than most other manufactures.
Old 07-24-2013, 11:13 AM   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barncats View Post
We came within an inch of purchasing a Redwood last week.
I started to get a bad feeling when I noticed alot of shoddy workmanship. Molding coming off of walls. wall panels bowed out and not attached. Screws sticking up out of the floor vents. Fireplace installed crooked. I started to wonder that if they were that careless with things that you could easily see. What kind of workmanship went into the things that you couldn't see?
The salesman led us to believe that the frame had a 5 year warranty. The day we were going to sign the papers, after I prompted him, he told us that he was mistaken and the frame warranty was only for 2 years. Albeit, a 2 year warranty is twice what most offer, I walked out on the principle that I had been misled for a week.
I have looked at a lot of Redwoods, I have never seen any shoddy workmanship on them, mayb a few mistakes but not outright poor workmanship.
EndeavorV10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 12:14 AM   #91

I was told that the frame had a 2 year warranty the 5 year warranty was only for structural things and did not include the frame.
I walked out on the deal because of this. I'm thinking that if the frame DID have a 5 year warranty that the salesman would have verified this and kept the sale??? Just going by what I was told.
And as far as shoddy/sloppy workmanship. I can only go from what I saw.
Hopefully it isn't the norm.
Old 07-25-2013, 08:38 AM   #92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barncats View Post
I was told that the frame had a 2 year warranty the 5 year warranty was only for structural things and did not include the frame.
I walked out on the deal because of this. I'm thinking that if the frame DID have a 5 year warranty that the salesman would have verified this and kept the sale??? Just going by what I was told.
And as far as shoddy/sloppy workmanship. I can only go from what I saw.
Hopefully it isn't the norm.

Unfortunately I've been given bad information from a dealer as well. It's a shame they aren't more accurate with their information.

The Redwood definitely has a 5 year warranty on the frame and 2 year bumper to bumper. The great news is that with 1000s of Redwoods on the road, there hasn't been any frame issues at all.
Old 07-25-2013, 10:03 AM   #93

we purchased a Grand Design Solitude 369RL about a month ago, while visiting my son in Pasco Washington someone in the koa we were staying at had a Redwood, my wife fell in love with it, lucky for me we already purchased our 5th wheel or I would probably ended up with the Redwood and spending a few more G's for it
Old 07-26-2013, 08:00 PM   #94

1000s of Redwoods

Can you verify this estimate of sales numbers? Just curious, didn't know it was in such high production.

Joe
'09 F450--died, replaced with '10--retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 12:41 AM   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut60 View Post
1000s of Redwoods

Can you verify this estimate of sales numbers? Just curious, didn't know it was in such high production.

Joe

I'll be at the Redwood Rally in 2 weeks and check with the factory reps. Last number I heard was around 3000 units sold. Mine is about 18 months old and it was around the 900th one made.
Old 07-27-2013, 06:42 AM   #96

Ford Super Duty Owner
Redwood started its production of Coaches in 2010, with serial number 1400 or 1401. So if 3000 units have been produced, that means there are 1600+ Coaches produced in three years. From what I heard from its service center, Redwood is increasing its production because of the high demand.
Old 07-27-2013, 07:08 AM   #97

Florida Cooters Club
Coastal Campers
I have seen huge discounts on Redwoods. Again, grossly over priced for an I-beam framed fiver. Redwood is going to introduce the "new Carriage" which is supposedly going to be a higher end rig. If considering a Redwood, I would wait to see what the new Carriage will be like. Maybe it will have a box frame. Phillip
jdpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 06:28 PM   #98

Redwood 36FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by teresar2007 View Post
Did you ever purchase the Redwood RV. If you have, I would love to know what you think about the Redwood. We are thinking of purchasing the Redwood 36 Front Living RV. Thank you
we purchased a Redwood 36FL at Hershey Show in Sept 2012. Picked it up at the dealer in NY in December. We did have a few issues with the 5th wheel that needed to be resolved before we took it out: scratch on dining table (no big deal but they did replace it), the wrong awning had been put on - we ordered the one that wraps into the cover - so they replaced that. The big issue was a leaking hydraulic jack......that was quite a surprise to us and the dealer when my husband pointed it out to them when we went to pick it up at the dealership!! Once everything was fixed we went on our first outing in June 2013. We absolutely love this 5th wheel! My husband had an issue with storage space (trunks - there are only 2) but he's figured out how to pack his stuff in. I have more than enough storage inside....expect fellow campers to want to see inside - we had quite a few drop ins on our first outing!

Tags
heartland, rvs