Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 10-07-2013, 06:34 AM   #113
Originally Posted by drillking View Post
Really like ours. Toured DRV, Redwood and Lifestyle factories. It came down to the Lifestyle and DRV in the end for quality and frameworks. We full time so solidity of the RV was one of the deciding factors.
Redwood isn't in that league (DRV,Lifestyle) , should be with Cedar Creek, Landmark,Montana, Bighorn,Alpine. All are 12 inch I beam frames with 70000 lb axles, interiors to your preference, only difference in build that I know of is that Redwood & Cedar Creek both have plywood sub flooring.

rmalikone is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-09-2013, 04:34 PM   #114
Compare I-beams to I-beams...

It amazes me how many people knock the I-beam trailers simply because there is something out there that is better. Take a look at the different truck chasis and you will find some do not have a fully boxed frame and others do. I often wonder why some people would never consider any other trailer other than one with a fully boxed frame but will pul it with a $65,000 truck that does not have a fully boxed frame when there are trucks out there that have fully boxed frames.

2008 Chevy Silverado 1500 5.3/ 3.73 2011 JayFeather Select 29L Husky Centerline WDH w/ active anti-sway
JAMMFAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 05:09 PM   #115
Nothing wrong with i beam if it is braced properly and heavy enough gauge. That is what 90% of buildings are made of. All of the main structure in the plants i work in is i beam. Many manufactures though use rather light weight beams and that's not good.
2003 Teton Grand Freedom. 2006 Freightliner Century 120 with Detroit 14L and Ultrashift.. Full time going from job to job. Building and maintaining plants across the USA. Sold 2006 Mobile Suites 32TK3
glennwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 06:48 PM   #116
Excel Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
The difference between a truck frame and a rv trailer frame is that a truck has wheels and tires on all four corners providing support. Think about all of the stress on a rv trailer frame with the majority of the load carried in the center. Heavy full time constructed 5ers are better served with a strong fully boxed frame imo.
chief02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 12:07 AM   #117
Originally Posted by chief02 View Post
The difference between a truck frame and a rv trailer frame is that a truck has wheels and tires on all four corners providing support. Think about all of the stress on a rv trailer frame with the majority of the load carried in the center. Heavy full time constructed 5ers are better served with a strong fully boxed frame imo.
My last unit had a fully boxed frame like the mobile homes. It was only 33ft long compared to 70ft long mobile homes.
I know because I repaired the broken frame using a section from a demolished mobile home made by the same Canadian company. And it was advertised as the real advantage over other frame type.

My boxed frame unit was flexing so much that the slide could not be opened unless the front landings legs were down. There was a note advising it by the hydraulic slide switch. The roof had to be sealed constantly due to frame flexing happening while traveling the rough Canadian roads.

All I know is that if I Jack one corner of my present I-beamed unit the whole unit follows with no frame twisting. I can open any one slide fully anytime while the trailer is on the truck and no frame twisting is happening.

I traded for this unit because it was solid and I can attach all my stuff to the frame properly
Any hole in the tubed unit really weakened the frame and caused failure that I needed to reinforce at different times during my 15 years of ownership. Most failures were results of original fabrication procedures and some other units were recalled, but not mine.

BTW the previous trailer was to be of much higher quality and value then the present unit. And no way I could afford to buy one more new one, compared to present I-beamed unit we bought new 4 years ago. This unit to me is miles ahead in strength and quality compared to many other units I looked at and still not overweight for our present TV.

Barbara and Laurent, Hartland Big Country 3500RL. 39 ft long and 15500 GVW.
2005 Ford F250 SD, XL F250 4x4, Long Box, 6.0L Diesel, 6 Speed Stick, Hypertech Max Energy for Fuel mileage of 21 MPusG empty, 12.6 MPusG pulling the BC. ScangaugeII for display..
caissiel is offline   Reply With Quote

heartland, rvs