Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-14-2018, 06:49 AM   #29

most disks are like 1/4 inch. trailer saver makes a 1/8" disc for there hitches. something to consider.
consolenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-15-2018, 09:08 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban350 View Post
I read somewhere that some of the disks were to thick to work properly with a particular hitch but can not remember what hitch it was.

I have been using it for quite a while. Works like a champ. Never had any issues with it. Still use it on my PullRite, with no issues.
jhoops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 11:31 PM   #31

Thor Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Updates?
Starbreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 09:17 AM   #32

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by consolenut View Post
most disks are like 1/4 inch. trailer saver makes a 1/8" disc for there hitches. something to consider.
I needed the 1/4" disc with with my MorRyde/Trailersaver Bd5 combo
Old 07-20-2018, 10:01 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starbreaker View Post
Updates?

No updates as of yet. Haven't heard anything from Reese yet. I would imagine they are addressing the issues with their attorneys before they say anything at all. Both insurance companies are going after them for the damages.
jhoops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 10:09 AM   #34

Did you ever back into closed jaws !
jacknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 02:54 PM   #35

couple of thoughts.

i suspect you had insurance on the truck. suggestions:
call them and get them in the loop regarding a hitch failure...
1. you would like for the company to code this claim as not at fault... (increasing the idea that they should not raise your rates..
2. they would love to get their money and your ded. back from reese and/or reese's ins. company... the handling adjuster gets an attaboy for recovering money... the insurance company calls this subro money... short for subrogation. if they say they are sending this file to the subrogation dept. that is a very good thing for you.

insurance will also likely help pay to investigate the cause of damage.

don't throw away any of the parts... you should keep them or make sure the reese dealer keeps them... "chain of custody" is important.
---------

let the dealer know that the insurance company is involved and you would like for them to give insurance company access to the damaged hitch.

good luck!
rockriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 03:11 PM   #36

I had one fail several years ago. Reese replaced it for free. NEVER another Reese.
AAMD80Capt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 03:50 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacknife View Post
Did you ever back into closed jaws !
Jacknife
Are you saying backing into closed jaws is bad?
When I got my Reese 20, the manual said the correct way to hitch the trailer was to back into closed jaws (without the locking handle engaged). I've doing that for over 10 years.
raroberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 09:26 PM   #38

hitch failure

If you got a Pullrite, please note, Pullrite specifically states !! Not to use a lube disc!! On the last few years models only use WD40on the plate,hitch mechanism, and slide bars.
Tooth Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 07:32 AM   #39

I highly doubt you’ll ever hear a peep out of Reese. They may settle with your insurance company but I highly doubt Reese will offer any explanation. Any comment from Reese would open up the possibility of additional claims of faulty products from other owners.
minnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 04:21 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by egwilly View Post
As a user of the Pullrite system, I think you'll be happy with it.
Very user friendly and hard to make a bad hitch with it. You'll know when the jaws snap shut and the pull handle is locked in place.
As a security measure, I put the ebrake cable clamp in the handle area to prevent the handle from disengaging.
I also smear some light grease on the jaws and pin.

Best wishes for a good outcome
Here in Pennsylvania the emergency brake cable can not be hooked to the 5th wheel hitch. It has to be hooked somewhere else. My Ram has a hook point next to the trailer electrical plug in. Stormy
James Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 04:29 PM   #41

Anything mechanical with moving parts made by man can fail.
Ret.LEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 05:31 PM   #42

opps

Coming from a Pullrite slider with all the parts involved One of the reasons I bought the Andersen is No moving parts, ether it`s on the ball or off period. nothing to fail or forget even if you don`t push the plunger in to lock it you would be hard pressed to get 3000 lbs to come off the ball.
This happened right in front of my camper at Myrtle Beach a couple of weeks ago. He said it was in the grove but came out anyway and got the pin box jammed into the truck tailgate and the hitch and couldn`t get the pin box out or off the bed. An hour later of blocking the main road he and a friend used a borrowed from the camp ground sledge hammer a beat the tail gate till it let the pin box loose. Talk about an expensive repair.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0848.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	218.7 KB
ID:	212118  
BSHGTO is offline   Reply With Quote