Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-26-2014, 01:15 PM   #1

Reese Hitch glitch?

We have been full-timing for 10 years and just traded our motor home for a 5th wheel, and we love it. Being a newbie, I have an unhooking question. Sometimes when I am unhooking, I get the handle on the hitch open and I look clear to pull forward. As soon as I do, the handle snaps back and closes. After two or three tries I do come out okay, but is there anything going on here I can do something about?

gator67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-26-2014, 01:40 PM   #2

You must not be locking the handle open just right.

Old 08-03-2014, 03:21 AM   #3

Reese Hitch Problems

Be very careful with Reese products. We are aware of two issues, one a close friend who's 5th wheel hitch head was only welded half way around and nearly became a disaster and an acquaintance with similar issues. The quality of Reese products appears to have been drastically reduced in recent years. Not sure, but these products may be manufactured in China. Anyway, we will very soon purchase our 5th wheel hitch and at the moment favoring B&W. significantly higher quality, made in the USA, great customer service and thus far we are not aware of poor quality reports.
Old 08-03-2014, 07:09 AM   #4

New Horizons Owners Club
Reese moved their production to Mexico a few years ago.
Old 08-03-2014, 06:18 PM   #5

I had a Reese on my old truck and it worked fine; never a problem. When I bought my new truck I ordered it with the trailer tow package and fifth wheel hitch made by Reese . I've have the same problem with unhitching asGator67. It's also a pain to hook up sometimes because of the way the release mechanism is made. As soon as I get home from my current trip I am getting rid of it and purchasing a B&W RVK3300, which was made to fit the newer Ford trucks.
jackdn0610 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 12:51 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner

I have been towing 5th wheels since 1999 (to some I am probably a newbie at it still). I have had 4 Reese 5th wheel hitches (1 16K slider, 1 16K stationary hitch, a 20K and now a 25K Ford Option Reese Elite). I have to honestly say that I have never had an issue with any of these hitches. If th jaws snapped shut on me it is because I did not lock it open sufficiently. I like the mechanism on the new Elite the way that the jaw captures the kingpin. I find it increditably easy to operate.

2017 Solitude by Grand Design
2012 Ford F-450 Lariat
K-Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 10:13 PM   #7

I have been using the same 20K Reese for almost 16 years (more than 200000 miles)now. Never had a problem with it not staying unlatched when unhooking.
'13 Ram Laramie 3500, Aisin auto,4:10, Reese adapter and 20K hitch, '10 HitchHiker 36LKRSB
Larry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 07:43 AM   #8

The 2 Reese issues to which I referred where from products sold in 2012 and 2013. Quite possibly the older products were of better quality than those manufactured today. Anyway, we are not headed to any Reese dealer's, fortunately there are better options available.
Old 10-07-2014, 07:02 PM   #9

Just bought a new truck and rig. I bought my 2nd Reese Elite 25k hitch and have no problems.
Jimwelch01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 09:22 PM   #10

Personally I would sell it and get a B&W. Simple solid construction with a foolproof latching system.
Old 10-08-2014, 04:10 AM   #11

B&W Hitch VS. Reese, Further Comments

After quite a bit of research I settled on the B&W Champion 25K for our RAM 3500 dually. The B&W hitch is very well constructed, the staff at the factory are responsive to your inquiry, welcome your call and B&W is engineered and built in the USA. The product is impressive in design and construction, the hitch mechanism works quite well and I feel confident that I made the right decision. B&W welcomes factory visits and are proud of their products. The Reese products in later years appear to have deteriorated in quality for whatever reason. Building a hitch at a Mexican taco stand is not my idea for a basis of quality.
Old 10-08-2014, 07:19 AM   #12

I am very happy with my B&W Companion. Good luck.
Old 10-08-2014, 08:34 AM   #13

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by NULarry B View Post
Reese moved their production to Mexico a few years ago.
I know several companies who did that, one and all quality went.... Well Mexico is SOUTH of the United States after all.

On moved back to Michigan, but alas, the damage to their reputation was done and they never recovered and wound up another chapter in the bankruptcy court.

And they used to be the best in the business.. What company?

Well if you find out who invented the EverReady flashlight. (NOT the company founder but the guy who gave him the patent) it was his company, bore his middle name.
Old 10-09-2014, 08:53 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by gator67 View Post
We have been full-timing for 10 years and just traded our motor home for a 5th wheel, and we love it. Being a newbie, I have an unhooking question. Sometimes when I am unhooking, I get the handle on the hitch open and I look clear to pull forward. As soon as I do, the handle snaps back and closes. After two or three tries I do come out okay, but is there anything going on here I can do something about?
What exact hitch do you have? Reese makes several. Then those with the same can give better advice.

wingedone is offline   Reply With Quote