Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-06-2014, 12:41 PM   #15
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Folks, a number of posts have been removed or edited for polictical commentary. You all know that's not allowed so if you want to keep this thread from being closed, please leave those comments out of this discussion.

Thanks,
Lori-

Lori & Dave - FMA #3415 | FMCA #F419886 | RV/MH Hall of Fame Lifetime Member
2006 Fleetwood Bounder 36Z & 2014 Honda CRV EX-L AWD, My iRV2 Photo Albums
How is it one careless match can start a forest fire but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
NLOVNIT is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-06-2014, 12:55 PM   #16

The reason we have a soft economy is the attitude of, "does it really matter". It matters, you just can not see it.

Old 03-06-2014, 01:06 PM   #17
laj

Quote:
Originally Posted by big bird 1 View Post
The reason we have a soft economy is the attitude of, "does it really matter". It matters, you just can not see it.
I don't figure it that way, and obviously neither do a lot of others. its supply and demand and people go where they get the best bang for their buck. just like everyone else . can't say more.
Old 03-06-2014, 01:25 PM   #18

It will probably be one more generation before the Chinese start buying power boats and RVs and they then need salaries to start climbing up to at least a level where it does not pay to ship raw material out there and get it shipped back here as finished product.

When this finally happens, this is when, IMHO, we truly are in a global free/fair trade arrangement. We (US and Canada) can start manufacturing again... Imagine the prosperity and the jobs market when this happens. Just scary to think what prices will be like??
HHIDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 01:59 PM   #19

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by HHIDan View Post
It will probably be one more generation before the Chinese start buying power boats and RVs and they then need salaries to start climbing up to at least a level where it does not pay to ship raw material out there and get it shipped back here as finished product.

When this finally happens, this is when, IMHO, we truly are in a global free/fair trade arrangement. We (US and Canada) can start manufacturing again... Imagine the prosperity and the jobs market when this happens. Just scary to think what prices will be like??
^^This. It's already happening - due to increased shipping costs, lead times, and concept-to-production lead times. There are a LOT of manufacturers that are pulling production back to the states - Ford was one of them, brought a whole line of stuff back, big article in the AAA newsletter last year.

I digress...now back to "Reese not made in USA".
CJBROWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 02:14 PM   #20
JDT

I don't think or mean this to be political. Just an observation. I have bought a few Curt products thru the years and usually they were Chinese made but they worked. I recently bought one of their X5 adapter rails that work with the B&W Turnover gooseneck hitch and provide the attachment rails for my Hensley hitch. The adapter weighs 105 pounds and is built like a tank. I was pleasantly surprised when I found a made in USA sticker on it.
JDT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 02:45 PM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brockx View Post
It matters, we need the jobs in the USA.

I will not knowingly consume foods linked to China or Vietnam due to filth.

Prior to my retirement I ran a manufacturing facility that went heads-up with Chinese facilities in the same corporation, same product. Many components forced upon me were sub-standard. I returned then to central purchasing who sent them to my sister plants. Our quality was head and shoulders above the "C" and profitability was "Stellar" best in the division.

edit: Sorry for the rant, it's a hot button, at least WAL-MART is claiming a turn around plan on China content.
Ditto X2!

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 02:50 PM   #22

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Cequent Consumer Products - The Automotive Market Leader in Towing and Cargo Securing
this is the sub parent company
they make lots of stuff for towing and leisure worldwide

and some more of the products they build
http://www.rolaproducts.com/content/default.aspx
pretty much all the brake controllers and lights and stuffff

and drum roll the big daddy parent company
http://www.trimascorp.com/

TriMas has more than 6,000 employees at more than 60 facilities in 17 countries.
powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 03:07 PM   #23

Made in America! That's just ONE of the reasons I pull with a B&W GN and Companion. Some of the other reasons; it works flawlessly, their customer support people are top notch and there's no clanking or binding.
road dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 05:46 PM   #24

Newmar Owners Club
I went to a gun show and was looking at the military things. One of the sellers had Vietnam Veteran's hat's for about 5 bucks less than I had been paying. The guy showed me one and it was made in Vietnam. I gave it back and politely told him, NO THANKS. But that's just me I guess.........
1999 NEWMAR American Star (for sale) SOLD !!![* Newmar Kountry Kklub # 19708 * THOUSAND TRAILS * 2006 Chevy 3500 Dually Dmax/Ally SOLD* Curt Q20 (For Sale)* Prodigy P2 *US ARMY 1965-1967 * Disabled Vietnam Veteran 1966-1967 * Life Member VFW *
99-Am.Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 08:46 PM   #25

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by laj View Post
does it really matter? if it works well, does what you want and need, and at a price you can live with I wouldn't worry about
Absolutely it matters. And for a largepart of it I blame the American consumer buying up all this "stuff" starting in the 60s and 70s and .... just kept getting worse and worse.

Quote:

...... at least WAL-MART is claiming a turn around plan on China content.
I'll wait and see if that really happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by big bird 1 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepper2 View Post
Ditto X2!
X3 on that.

Have you heard what has happened lately to the auto industry in Australia?
Its really sad. For 66 years Cars have been built in there.but one by one they are dropping out. there were 4 companys left it went to 3 in 2008 it will be 0 in a few years. Then what are their people going to buy? Their roads are not nearly as good as ours. They are better than they were a few decades ago but cars made there were made tough to last .

Quote:
The first major Australian carmaker was the Ford Motor Company of Australia. The first Australian-designed mass production car was by Holden in 1948.
Australia is best known for the design and production of 'large' sized passenger vehicles. This category has suffered a steady and sustained downturn in Australian markets,[2] which has essentially resulted in the closure or forthcoming closure of all large-scale motor vehicle plants in the country. The Mitsubishi Motors Australia plant, previously Chrysler, in Adelaide was the first to close as a result of this downturn in February 2008.[3] It will be followed by the shutdown of the Ford Australia engine and vehicle plants in October 2016 and the Holden and Toyota Australia factories during 2017.[4][5][6]
Automotive industry in Australia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 09:28 PM   #26

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mekanic View Post
Have you heard what has happened lately to the auto industry in Australia?
Its really sad. For 66 years Cars have been built in there.but one by one they are dropping out. there were 4 companys left it went to 3 in 2008 it will be 0 in a few years. Then what are their people going to buy? Their roads are not nearly as good as ours. They are better than they were a few decades ago but cars made there were made tough to last .
I just returned from Australia and New Zealand Monday. I was there when Toyota announced they were ending production in country, also for Quantas' reduction of 7000 jobs in the airline industry. This in a nation of 21 million, about the same as Pennsylvania and Ohio combined, a little more than Florida. Australia has many laws favoring the worker. Rates and amount of paid days off has steadily risen for many years. They have priced themselves out of jobs. My son in law and daughter both own and run businesses there. The number of regulations regarding pay make it challenging to make a profit.
In New Zealand, a Coke (600 ml or 20 oz.) was $6.90. I drank water. A hamburger was $9-14. Everywhere I went I saw 'Made in New Zealand' on everything. They are extremely patriotic, and loyal to NZ products, but they pay for it!
When I was a kid, 'Made in Japan' was equal to 'junk' Then Honda, Subaru, Toyota, Nikon, Pentax, Sony, etc. started showing that Japan could build quality products. I would venture that all the computers viewing this website right now were made in China. We truly live globally and need to realize quality can be built anywhere.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 10:12 PM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:

I will not knowingly consume foods linked to China or Vietnam due to filth.

Prior to my retirement I ran a manufacturing facility that went heads-up with Chinese facilities in the same corporation, same product. Many components forced upon me were sub-standard. I returned then to central purchasing who sent them to my sister plants. Our quality was head and shoulders above the "C" and profitability was "Stellar" best in the division.

edit: Sorry for the rant, it's a hot button, at least WAL-MART is claiming a turn around plan on China content.
Totally agree. It MATTERS to me. (And I watch food labels VERY CAREFULLY.)

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 08:11 AM   #28

My B&W 25K companion hitch designed to fit the pucks in my 2014 Ram 3500 should be shipped out to me about middle of next week at the latest.....I have been patiently waiting for them to make the changes they had to due to Mopar sending them wrong measurements the first time, resulting in a misfit of the first production run of hitch bases.

So, if any of your are in the same boat with the new Ram trucks, just a little more patience will allow you to get the hitch you want rather than just getting a hitch to have one now.