Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-13-2007, 01:41 PM   #1
Kel

Hello fellow campers, I just received a recall notice from Dometic telling me that certain 'fridges made between April '97 and May '03 may have a defect where a crack developes in the boiler tube possibly causing a fire. Anyone know anything about it? I have a list of the model no.'s that are affected in case anyone wants to know. Thanks, Kel.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-13-2007, 01:41 PM   #2
Kel

Hello fellow campers, I just received a recall notice from Dometic telling me that certain 'fridges made between April '97 and May '03 may have a defect where a crack developes in the boiler tube possibly causing a fire. Anyone know anything about it? I have a list of the model no.'s that are affected in case anyone wants to know. Thanks, Kel.

Old 03-13-2007, 02:30 PM   #3

As a good will gesture Dometic hired another vendor to mail out containment kits for the boiler assembly. If it does leak,it is supposed to prevent a flash fire.Dealers will start receiving kits in mid April.

2006 FOUR WINDS HURRICANE 34N F-53
Frankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 04:34 PM   #4

I would like to know the what ones are on the list.
I wonder if mine is affected, it is an 1989 model fifth wheel, but I am sure the fridge looks too new and I think it was changed, will have to see if there is a date on it somewhere.
Old 03-14-2007, 02:13 PM   #5
Kel

I'll list the model no's if you want but Dometic's website has a whole section dedicated to the recall. www.DometicUSA.com Good luck, Kel.
Old 03-14-2007, 08:45 PM   #6

Thank you for the link, I guess I should have thought of that.
I am looking at it now, but will have to go see what my model and serial number are.
Thanks for posting.
Old 03-15-2007, 02:17 AM   #7

I found my numbers, called Dometic and found that I was not on the recall list. A very simple and quick procedure. I recommend all who have Dometics call them.

WGTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 01:57 PM   #8

Texas Boomers Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Isn't this amazing you all knew last March of the recall, we just got our letter last week. We could have burned up by now. The rig is scheduled for repair Dec 18, 2007.
ncason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 04:07 PM   #9

A great influence in notification promptness involves returning the warranty registration card. Returning the card does not affect the warranty, but does affect records of who owns that unit.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 03:40 PM   #10

Just noticed this thread and can't keep from adding my thoughts. If you have followed the thread 'Help Fifth wheel burned down this weeekend' you will understand where I coming from. First of all I find it amazing that Dometic has done so little to remedy the problems that are addressed on the recalls (if indeed they can even be called recalls) ending with the 2003 mfg dates. I can surely be wrong but from what I have gleaned from the internet and in talking to some owners whom have had this problem addressed; Dometic is doing little more than putting a cheap 'Band Aid' on something that is in need of major surgery. It is my understanding that the TSB is for the installation of a cheap metal shield that inhibits (NOT STOPS) the spread of flame should a manufacturers failure occur. Boy does that give me a warm cozy feeling!!! I assume it gives the owner some additional time to exit the trailer and set up some good seating to watch the show---could be, even enough time to grab marshmellows and coat hangers to make better use of the intense (I can assure you of this) heat.
Best I can figure Dometic has an extremely good, albeit callous, legal department that is appearently immune to legal recourse. That said it would seem logical that the Insurance writers assuredly must have some benefitial agreements that proclude liability suits or they would most likely be substantiating evident for cause and saving themselves from paying of claims. Common sense seems to dictate that unbelievably thus far there has been no loss of life or I think we would have already seen a change of policy as well as ultimate result for the RV owner.
In our case trailer claim is settled, contents are still ongoing and we have not a clue as to if the insurance company is taking Dometic to task for the loss. Thanks to my wifes persistance a 'Fire Investigator' did examine the trailer but we are not privy to the report or results.
In the meantime we have ordered another fifth wheel trailer and, heaven forbid it comes with another Dometic refrigerator; another brand is not an option. I have never had any quames about sleeping in our RV; now I do, ain't that lovely. I'd really like to have a good description of what to look for when inspecting a Dometic refrigerator for signs of failure problems, I suspect nothing is evident before a failure occures.
Our unit was a 2006----I have seen nothing from Dometic that would warn of any hazzard. I have also seen no change of design from our 2006 to what I see on the 2008's or 9's. Could be there have been no reports of failures; shouldn't that be the responsibility of the Insurance Company? We were advised to have no involement with Dometic.
Randy