Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-07-2016, 09:48 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwhit View Post
I cut a large opening in the oem vent to fit the fans. They're medium RPM...can't hear them run. No thermostat...they run alla time I'm on pedestal. Vents down so no rain gets in while camped nor travel. System works good. I get 32 degrees on my top shelf on medium setting gas or 110vac. I modify every ammonia fridge I've had using fans. If I was a patient man I'd do the physical work to make the designed draft air flow work properly...but I'm not a patient man. This fridge is in a slide-out. The two factory 12vdc fans still exist...they're on a thermostat. I've never heard 'em run although I shorted the relay and found they're noisy.

I had a class A before. I copied Dr. Film's idea and installed two hi-speed fans in the chimney. Worked fabulously.

I had a van-camper long time ago. I installed one 12vdc fan on a switch. For the first time I made ice in the little fridge.
I saw this post on another forum and wanted to do this mod on mine. I was wondering what size the vent cover you used. It kind of looks like you used two an glued them together.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-07-2016, 09:58 PM   #16

How about this from Smart RV Products.

It sucks up and out all along the fins. It even has LED lighting built in.

Old 08-07-2016, 10:13 PM   #17

fgs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
???? on those awnings, etc.

I recently changed to a new refrigerator, and I was surprised to see how hot it gets in a kitchen slide above the fridge--really hot. My fifth wheel manufacturer didn't place emphasis on proper venting of the hot air.

Since I had the fridge removed, I went ahead and rebuilt the chimney woodwork that goes from the top of the fridge out to the top vent at a 45 degree angle approximately. I also added additional insulation on top of my fridge to keep the hot air out of the fridge cavity.

So far, my fridge temps have been just great. Someone that's having cooling problems could also add a $80 universal secondary exhaust fan above the OEM fan for additional heat and air removal.

Majority of RV absorption fridge cooling issues are due to RV MFGs. lack of proper installations.
Atwood/Dometic/Norcold all have installation instructions/requirements but RV MFGs are clueless.
Then when fridges don't perform the fridge mfg. get blamed and RVrs end up having to add fans, add baffles, add insulation, seal up dead air spaces etc etc.
All things that RV MFG should have done in the first place.
Old 08-08-2016, 06:21 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
fgs

Majority of RV absorption fridge cooling issues are due to RV MFGs. lack of proper installations.
Atwood/Dometic/Norcold all have installation instructions/requirements but RV MFGs are clueless.
Then when fridges don't perform the fridge mfg. get blamed and RVrs end up having to add fans, add baffles, add insulation, seal up dead air spaces etc etc.
All things that RV MFG should have done in the first place.
I agree

BTW we RV buyers expect more from RV MFGs than they deliver.
("Glitz and glamor" sells RVs... NOT "quality and workmanship").
Old 08-08-2016, 05:46 PM   #19

918jeeper-I jus' went to Lowe's and purchased the vent that expands...then sealed the openings w/RTV.

Old-Biscuit-I totally agree. I'm jus' not willing to remove the unit and fix the baffling inadequacies. Besides, I have a fan-fetish.
Old 08-08-2016, 06:51 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwhit View Post
918jeeper-I jus' went to Lowe's and purchased the vent that expands...then sealed the openings w/RTV.

Old-Biscuit-I totally agree. I'm jus' not willing to remove the unit and fix the baffling inadequacies. Besides, I have a fan-fetish.
Oh okay got it! One more question, did you use a dual plug adapter on the 110 outlet to plug the fans in?
Old 08-08-2016, 07:11 PM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atom Ant View Post

This is a new approach. I assume this is to improve the refrigerator efficiency? Maybe dust protection? I originally thought it was for the pilot light, but it's in full hookups so I assume it is on electric.
My guess is that it is to prevent the useless Black Box from getting any moisture on it so it won't shut down the fridge for a non-event ruining all of their food.

BTW, if they have the NotSoCold 1200 fridge there is no improving refrigerator efficiency regardless of what you do or how much money you spend on that POC.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
2002 Monaco Windsor PBT 40Ft. (R HOME) - 30Ft. 2006 Pace Trailer (R JUNK). Trailer Has 06 VUE (R TOWD) 04 Victory Alen Ness Edition (R RYDE). Full-Timer for 14 Yr's BUT now a Part-Timer. Cummins ISC-350 With Banks Power Pack and Upgraded PRXB PacBrake.
We are at our Winter Home in Flagler Beach FL
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 07:45 PM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
My guess is that it is to prevent the useless Black Box from getting any moisture on it so it won't shut down the fridge for a non-event ruining all of their food.

BTW, if they have the NotSoCold 1200 fridge there is no improving refrigerator efficiency regardless of what you do or how much money you spend on that POC.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Well, Montana has always been Dometic, so it's not a Norcold, and no black box. Based on the year, its not a 4 dr 12cf either, its an 8cf.

PS, our Norcold 1200 with icemaker in our last rig ROCKED! I never had any complaints about that fridge, and if we stayed with a fiver I would have looked at the new 18cf.

Tags
refrigerator