Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-08-2011, 02:33 PM   #15

Florida Cooters Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
This sounds like a good idea. Wonder why the manufacturers don't include this fan if it is an improvement?

Does anyone know whether this installation will void the warranty on a new appliance? Thanks.
I checked the fan before modifying it to be sure it worked. I doubt it would be returnable once I got through drilling holes in it. The fan is $15 (shipping included) from ebay and modification is a cheap risk. As far as the fridge itself, there's no real installation other than attaching an alligator clip to the cooling fins and attaching a wire to a 12v source.

I believe the fellow that sells the product buys computer fans in bulk and adapts them for use in an RV. Probably not cost effective for him to put a molded screen on every one. And the fridge manufacturer will never do it for cost reasons (not good reasons, just cost reasons). The screen cost almost as much as the fan but for me it was a surplus item that I had used for its original purpose for six years before recycling it for this use.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-08-2011, 06:27 PM   #16

If you are going to buy 12V computer fans, it would probably be best to buy ones with 2 ball bearings instead of bronze sleeves. The ball bearings should handle the cold better and will be quieter. You also want to compare CFM. Many of the same diameter fans will have very large differences in the amount of air they push.

Newegg is a good place to compare:

Newegg.com - Computer Case Fans

Just need to know what size you want. A 120mm fan is about 4 3/4 inches. You can also get the fan grill, too.

Old 11-09-2011, 12:02 PM   #17

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I bought a box of "Computer" type fans for 10 bucks, (I think it was 12 vans) and used one of them. Got the 12 volts from the bright idea (light bulb) just hoked up before the switch.
Old 11-09-2011, 12:08 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Half Dimes View Post
I checked the fan before modifying it to be sure it worked. I doubt it would be returnable once I got through drilling holes in it. The fan is $15 (shipping included) from ebay and modification is a cheap risk. As far as the fridge itself, there's no real installation other than attaching an alligator clip to the cooling fins and attaching a wire to a 12v source.

I believe the fellow that sells the product buys computer fans in bulk and adapts them for use in an RV. Probably not cost effective for him to put a molded screen on every one. And the fridge manufacturer will never do it for cost reasons (not good reasons, just cost reasons). The screen cost almost as much as the fan but for me it was a surplus item that I had used for its original purpose for six years before recycling it for this use.
Actually, my concern is about the REFRIGERATOR warranty. I'm not worried about a $15 fan. LOL!!!
Old 11-09-2011, 07:15 PM   #19

Florida Cooters Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Half Dimes View Post
... As far as the fridge itself, there's no real installation other than attaching an alligator clip to the cooling fins and attaching a wire to a 12v source.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
Actually, my concern is about the REFRIGERATOR warranty. I'm not worried about a $15 fan. LOL!!!
I tried to cover both bases. There is no real modification to the fridge.
Old 11-15-2011, 11:03 AM   #20

I too bought 2 of the blue eBay fans and installed them on top of the fridge fins blowing downwards. Takes up no extra space in the fridge and I can now cool the fridge on the 2nd warmest setting even during the summer months.
Old 02-14-2012, 08:23 AM   #21

Try fan outside

What is more effective in improving the fridge efficiency is to install a fan in the outside compartment. This is where the heat needs to be dissipated. Place the fan so that it will exhaust air through the upper vent. That will assist the normal upward convection.

On mine, I also have it switched by a normal household heating/cooling thermostat inside the compartment. I keep it set to turn the fan off when the temp. in the compartment drops below 75 deg.

Joel
Old 02-14-2012, 08:50 AM   #22

I have never seen this type of fan install before. Dometic and norcold make fan that clip on the rear of the fridge on the pipes if the inside of your fridge is freezing its a good chance that the air flow on the rear isent good enough. Fridges are very touching and most fridges are not installed properly from factory. This appears to just be a quick fix to hide a problem that still exists.

Tags
fan, refrigerator