Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-09-2012, 12:34 PM   #1

Refrigerator - Gas vs Electric

I am looking at an Open Range Residential. I really like the fact that it uses a a normal (big 25cf) everyday refrigerator which would really hold a lot! The question I have is the gas style going to really last quite a bit longer when not connected? The electric one will run for about 24hrs when not connected and then I guess you could just start up the truck and re-charge.

Any thoughts on gas vs electric would be appreciated since I am getting close to pulling the trigger on purchase.
Also, any comments on the quality of the Open Range would be great as well.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-09-2012, 01:06 PM   #2

I just took delivery of an Open Range 386 FLR (Front Living Room....get it ;-)...and I have to say I like it. I see it's still built like a trailer to reduce weight as much as possible, and here I'm referring to the staples instead of nails or screws. However, I still like it a lot. It's unique looking and has what Gloria and I want. The raised living room and the raised bedroom adds a fair amount of storage space underneath. We don't have a genny but, then, we don't do a whole lot of dry camping. and there's always the truck. The ONE BAD THING we noticed is that the king size bed mattress is laying on a 1/2" sheet of plywood and the hinges used to allow it to be raised for the underbed storage are way too short. Not enough for a real man's butt. The liftng part of the bedboard will pull away from those hinges - ours came to us that way off the lot. I replaced that lifting part of the bedboard with a 3/4" plywood section on 3" gate hinges and added a 1/4" plywood section to the static section toward the head of the bed (the part that doesn't move) in order to keep everything level. I'd suggest getting the dealer to take care of that for you before delivery. My dealer took care of it after delivery but why invite the other? I now suspect the floor may be built that way, too, but I don't know and haven't had any problems yet. In the meantime, I got the extended warranty, just in case. HTH.

"Road Ranger" (Lenny!) RCMPolice Veteran #25XXX
"Geminimajic" (Gloria!)
2012 Open Range 386FLR 5'ver towed by (TBD)
Road Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 02:56 PM   #3

Florida Cooters Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerlover View Post
I am looking at an Open Range Residential. I really like the fact that it uses a a normal (big 25cf) everyday refrigerator which would really hold a lot! The question I have is the gas style going to really last quite a bit longer when not connected? The electric one will run for about 24hrs when not connected and then I guess you could just start up the truck and re-charge.

Any thoughts on gas vs electric would be appreciated since I am getting close to pulling the trigger on purchase.
Also, any comments on the quality of the Open Range would be great as well.
Pretty much depends on how you plan to use the rig. If you're going to spend most of your time hooked up to 120v and maybe traveling from place to place during the day, you're probably going to be all right. The website for Open Range was a little light on detail as far as how many batteries are standard or optional. We looked at a Daydreamer a few years ago that had a residential refrigerator. I ran the numbers and figured with four batteries, I might get 24 hours before they were exhausted, without running much of anything else. I don't think hitching up to the truck will get you enough charge at that point.

My best advice is to determine the amp hr. draw of the refrigerator and make your best guess at how long it will run per day, and calculate the drawdown on whatever the battery bank is. Keep in mind, an inverter will also draw power, as will other items in your rig. Like I said initially, a lot will depend on how you plan to use your rig.
Old 07-10-2012, 09:04 PM   #4
JDT

DonRowe.com has a calculator for determining how long a battery or batteries will last based on the current draw of the appliance. Plus, it has a lot of other info on inverters. When you run the numbers remember it will show a figure for a constant draw, which is unlikely for a fridge since it cycles on and off. Our residential fridge, which draws 5 amps at start up and 2 when running will last about 10 hours on our two 6 volt Interstates. That would be if it were running full time, which it doesn't. Even if it runs half the time, which could be high, that will double the run time, if my ciphering is correct.
JDT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 11:43 PM   #5

For comparison's sake - running your fridge from propane when not hooked up:

We have an 8 cf fridge that we run on propane 24/7. We use the stove in the morning to boil half a gallon of water and use it every other day to cook an evening meal (we are light eaters). A 7-gallon bottle of propane lasts us 3 weeks.
Groovy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas, refrigerator