Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 05-11-2011, 07:56 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Wayne, it's most likely either 96" or 102" WITHOUT mirrors - safety devices such as mirrors are excluded from the measurement.

2016 Ram Longhorn 3500 Dually 4x4 CCLB, 385/900 Cummins, Aisin AS69RC, 4.10
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-11-2011, 06:08 PM   #16
New Horizons Owners Club
102" widel registered in Texas

Polk County registered and licensed my 102" wide trailer, all via the mail. I filled out VTR 141 stating the width as 102" despite the form stating "travel trailers" are limited to 96". The form also states that Park Models can be up to 102" wide. You are supposed to check a box on the form that identifies your trailer as either a Travel Trailer or a Park Model. I chose not to check either box.

I don't know if not checking a box was the key, but I got my plates and did not have to supply any inaccurate information.

jtietema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 07:14 PM   #17
New Horizons Owners Club
This thread gave me a bit of a start. My existing rig and my future rig are both wide bodies. I read the VTR-141 and thought that there had to be another way so I called the Polk County DMV. These are the folks that register hundreds (probably thousands) of the Escapees folks in Livingston. Unfortunately the person I talked to only could offer to read me what was written on the page about 8' being the maximum allowed.

When I pressed her about the multitudes of registered wide bodies through the very office she sits in she could only tell me that her 5th was not greater than 8'. What's that got do with my question? On to something else.

That something else was a turn to the folks at Escapees. I got an answer in minutes. And that answer is: 5th wheels can be classified as semi-trailers and getting a title can be done by using form 130-U.

But given that JT got his plate by using VTR-141 it would seem that the Texas DMV is not really being sticky about the rules.

'06 F-550 PSD Tow Boss
2012 37' Majestic by New Horizons
BLOG: www.CuRVWander.blogspot.com
jperry29 is offline   Reply With Quote