Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-14-2005, 02:52 PM   #1

When I open both propane tanks, the indicator turns green and stays green while gas is present and it is left open. I understand that this is normal. My question is that I was recently reading that you can test your system by opening the tanks, which in my case is two 30# tanks, and keep everything in the TT closed/off. This will cause the indicator to turn green and remain green as long as there is pressure. Now, according to the info i got you can close the valves to both tanks and the indicator will and should remain green. If the indicator changes to RED, then I have a leak. This is the question I have. It took approx. 40 minutes for this to happen. Are all systems this way or do I have a leak. I will be trying the soapy water test over the weekend, but I was just curious what you think. Could it be a small leak from the breather vent and is this normal? Just curious.. All gas is shut off now. Thanks in advance
Mich is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-14-2005, 02:52 PM   #2

When I open both propane tanks, the indicator turns green and stays green while gas is present and it is left open. I understand that this is normal. My question is that I was recently reading that you can test your system by opening the tanks, which in my case is two 30# tanks, and keep everything in the TT closed/off. This will cause the indicator to turn green and remain green as long as there is pressure. Now, according to the info i got you can close the valves to both tanks and the indicator will and should remain green. If the indicator changes to RED, then I have a leak. This is the question I have. It took approx. 40 minutes for this to happen. Are all systems this way or do I have a leak. I will be trying the soapy water test over the weekend, but I was just curious what you think. Could it be a small leak from the breather vent and is this normal? Just curious.. All gas is shut off now. Thanks in advance
Old 03-14-2005, 04:03 PM   #3

I have not timed mine but know it will turn red might be something to try tomorrow. Will let you know.

Tom

2015 Chevy 2500 6.0L 4.10
Sunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 05:37 PM   #4

Hi Mich,

I wonder if you will get an accurate test doing it that way ??..

The reason I ask is ...
if the water heater has the automatic ignition system, the igniter will cause the pilot orifice to keep opening and closing as it tries to relight, thus letting the pressure leak down through the pilot orifice.

This means that you would have to disconnect the batteries and the shore power to keep the igniter from working...

AND if you disconnect all power to the RV, then... the fridge will cause a problem because.. The fridge will automatically switch over to gas from electric mode...

When that happens, the automatic igniter will keep opening and closing the gas valve as it tries to light the flame to keep the fridge working..

Also if you have the old style pilot light system on the cook stove, the gas pressure will leak down in the gas line...

Please note... I am not sure this is correct,, I'm only going through the sequence in my mind and thinking about how the different appliances work in the average RV..

Am I off the deep end or does this make any sense at all ??

let us know what your results are Mich..

John
John Harrelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 03:44 PM   #5

Well, here's the scoop on the regulator. Came home from work today and soaped it up from the top of the regulator, every inch all the way to about a foot under the coach itself. NO BUBBLES! I then decided to leave the gas on for a few minutes before closing it and left for about two hours. I thought for sure that when I returned the indicator would be red. But no. It was still green and is still green at this hour which is three plus hours later. What gives? I didn't do anything other than soap it up and actually pour the soapy water on the valve and it is now holding pressure just fine. Now, if i could only get this snow to melt. This will be our first year in this TT and we are very excited. The wife has already began booking trips to CT, RI, NH and the lower part of Cape Cod. This new rig is a big step up for us from our 1990 18ft mallard.
Old 03-16-2005, 07:25 AM   #6

When you shut the valves on the tanks, the line still has a gas charge in it. Over time this gas charge will leak out past the seals in the valves of the various devices, stove, furnace, water heater, etc.

I had asked an RV tech, and my local gas supply company the same question and that is what I was told.

SO.... the switchover flag going to red when both tanks are shut off is a normal thing. The rate at which the flag goes red indicates if you might have another problem.
Brunnie is offline   Reply With Quote