Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-30-2011, 01:56 PM   #1

Removing carpet from under slide

We recently purchased an older high quality 5th wheel with the intention of storing it in Florida for occasional use. Evidently, there was mold that surfaced after two days in warmer weather. My wife could not handle the smell. In the end, we pulled it back to Missouri and I am in the process of removing the carpet and replacing with laminate. The only problem, so far, is removing the carpet from under the edge of the extended slide. Our slide(12 ft) goes straight out and does not drop (1994 Carri-lite). An experienced RV mechanic in Florida suggested raising the slide from the outside (while extended) using a beam and large floor jack. This I have done but it does not leave enough room to remove the carpet or install laminate. It appears that my only option is to totally dismantle the interior slide walls and floor to a point where I can get to the floor below.

Any suggestions???

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-30-2011, 03:57 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Location: Alaska 6 months out of the year, as for the other 6, somewhere in the Lower 48
Never been brave enough to try, but i have seen others build a cradle to support the slide then hyper extend the slide outside the coach.

sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 06:35 PM   #3

I thought about setting the slide in a cradle, but the Carri-lite is totally enclosed below the frame. Getting to the slide drive is really difficult.

Thanx for the input. I'm open to any ideas.
Old 12-30-2011, 07:15 PM   #4

Our carpet was replaced by the dealership. They contracted the work to a regular carpet installer, but they first disconnected the slide mechanism while supporting the slide with a fork truck, then lowered the forks enough to tilt the slide room in at the bottom. This gave the installer enough room to replace the carpeting under the slide floor.
Old 01-02-2012, 10:56 PM   #5

My Alpenlite had the same slide type. The carpet was stapled to the floor. I removed the carpet up to 18 inches from the slide. Then I used 2 2x4s and c-clamps to grip the carpet tightly and used a 3lb sledge to tap the 2x4s and yank out the carpet. Then I ground down a 12inch common screwdriver to pull the staples. The laminant flooring floats and only needs to be back under the slide about 6 inches. The problem with laminant is that it is easily scratched by the slide going in and out. Still looks great compared to the old carpet. Good Luck
Old 01-03-2012, 04:32 AM   #6

The idea sounds workable. I've got a couple questions. How long were the 2 X 4s? Did you have to put nails, or something to "grab" the carpet, into the 2 X 4s? Did you raise the slide to remove the staples, and if so, how high?

Thanx for the input - Smitty
Old 01-03-2012, 05:27 AM   #7

I once read (I think here on IRV2) about someone who built a frame with 2 x 4's to exactly fit the top of the slide when fully extended. The frame, in effect, would jam the slide opened. You then "close" the slide, force the motor a bit, the slide will tilt to expose underneath at an angle. In effect the bottom will come in but not the top. Hope I'm clear enough... I tought that was a neat idea.
HHIDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 08:51 PM   #8

2x4s 10 inch long. It really doesn't take much. I pulled some of it by hand and used the clamped 2x4s where it got tougher. You will have about 1/2 in clearance when carpet is out. Slide a flat steel ruler like that on an adjustable t square around on the floor to find the staples. There are a lot of them. Where they were out in the open, I used my 4 inch sidewinder grinder to cut them off. On your laminate, keep it as thin as possible.
Old 01-03-2012, 08:57 PM   #9

Just as the slide comes in 2 or 3 inches the floor does tilt up some.
Old 01-05-2012, 12:29 PM   #10

Thanks to everyone for the inputs. The info on using a forklift seemed very good (I have an old one in my shop) but the labor to remove some of the slide made it impractical. I will try using the 2 X 4s and see what happens.

I am moving, or at least attempting to move, the 5th wheel into my shop tomorrow. I have to lower the pressure in the tires to lower the unit about 2 inches to make it through the door. With a little luck, over the next two months I will get the carpet out and the laminate in. I also have to reseal the windows on the slide where the moisture originated.

Thanx again - Smitty
Old 01-18-2012, 08:11 AM   #11

I've moved the unit into my shop (after lowering tire pressures to clear 11' 11") and have had nothing that resembles good luck yet. After cutting away the carpet to 12" from the slide, I used the 2 X 4s, C clamps and LARGE hammer - nothing. I even used the power of the slide motor against the 2 X 4s/Clamp, to try and dislodge some of the staples. I then made a large frame and placed it on top of the slide, and using the slide power, tried to lift the floor a small amount. Again, no luck. The last thing I tried was recommended by an experienced RV shop in Titusville, FL. I built an I-beam using a 12 foot 2 X 12 and two 2 X 6s. With the beam placed on a very large floor jack and the slide moved in about six inches, I attempted to lift the slide. Again, no luck. The entire trailer started to raise.

I am now attempting to contact the manufacturer (Carriage) and see if they can provide any suggestions. So far, I can not get through to them by email (the email is automatically forwarded to some RV center and their email system is down). Next is a phone call.

If all else fails, I will dismantle the slide from the inside completely and rebuild it when I get the new flooring installed. So much for relaxing as a 69 year old retiree!!
Old 01-18-2012, 09:28 AM   #12

Nothing worst than a dead end, sorry it's not easier. I guess your slide was built to an exact fit with no free play. Been following as I plan on taking out the laminate to install ceramic...
The slide in my Ultimate Freedom (bedroom) had four hydraulic cylinders that pushed and pulled wo without taking two apart I could not 'tilt' the slide. How many arms pushing yours? Can they/it be un-hooked so you can move slide opened all the way to the edge?
HHIDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 11:39 AM   #13

I spent some time under the unit again today. The main problem is that it is totally sealed below (insulated for cold weather) and would be a major job to remove the panels/insulation. I am trying one more thing before I totally tear the interior of the slide out and pull up the floor.
Old 01-19-2012, 08:13 PM   #14

Carriage is out of business, gone-gone-gone. I read some of the old employees were trying to keep a service/parts center going?
Sounds like you have tried just about everything--don't have anything to add that might help.
Joe

Tags
slide