Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-08-2006, 06:17 PM   #1

Questions for any RV electrical types...I have a 2004 Cougar 5th wheel & I just installed some "Ample Power" gear. I bought a "Ample Power" 45 amps charger with the "Smart Charge Manager" & have a few questions. As happy as I am with this setup (3 stage charger) the only down side I see is it doesn't have a converter. So as I see it, when I'm plugged into shore power any 12 VDC load I have comes off my golf cart batteries & any 120 VAC load would come off the shore power...Is this corrct? I currently have the breaker thrown off for the "Converter\Charger" that came installed in the coach. I am assuming that leaving this on would not be adviseable as I could be asking for problems like boiling my batteries...
Is anyone else running a setup simular to mine without the benefit of a converter? Thanks for any & all input!

Clay

Gear installed:

Xantrex Link 10 Guage
http://www.energyoutfitters.com/default.htm?http://www..../xantrex_link10.shtm

Power Supply/Charger, 45 Amps, 12-Volts #PSC45-12
http://www.amplepower.com/products/chrg/index.html

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-08-2006, 06:17 PM   #2

Questions for any RV electrical types...I have a 2004 Cougar 5th wheel & I just installed some "Ample Power" gear. I bought a "Ample Power" 45 amps charger with the "Smart Charge Manager" & have a few questions. As happy as I am with this setup (3 stage charger) the only down side I see is it doesn't have a converter. So as I see it, when I'm plugged into shore power any 12 VDC load I have comes off my golf cart batteries & any 120 VAC load would come off the shore power...Is this corrct? I currently have the breaker thrown off for the "Converter\Charger" that came installed in the coach. I am assuming that leaving this on would not be adviseable as I could be asking for problems like boiling my batteries...
Is anyone else running a setup simular to mine without the benefit of a converter? Thanks for any & all input!

Clay

Gear installed:

Xantrex Link 10 Guage
http://www.energyoutfitters.com/default.htm?http://www..../xantrex_link10.shtm

Power Supply/Charger, 45 Amps, 12-Volts #PSC45-12
http://www.amplepower.com/products/chrg/index.html

Old 03-09-2006, 05:13 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Clay I dont understand what you have done. Did you just add a charger in the batt compartment and run it off 120? Most of those chargers are power supplys also. I believe most converters are just unregulated power supplies. The better ones jave the 3 charging stages built in so you could just replace your converter with that.
Dagwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 07:22 PM   #4

It's a power supply charger. I would just like to leave the OEM gear installed & run off the newly installed gear installed in the basement. Would that be acceptable with the OEM inverter\charger breaker thrown or should I permanently remove it? Remotely mounted it so I could remove the Ample Gear if I ever decide to trade in my coach for something different.

Clay
Old 03-10-2006, 05:46 AM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Clay I guess its possible to backfeed the entire coach that way but you may run into some fusing issues. /When I replaced my converter on an older coach I just left it in when I traded later. However I was in my shed the other day and that old heavy converter is still there so I should have reinstalled it and kept my new conv with the charge wizard. My new 5th says it doesnt overcharge but I disconnect the batt while sitting in the yard powered up all the time.
Dagwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 11:06 AM   #6

Done! Between IRV2 & IRV.NET I got it handled! Working great. Thanks for all the input....

Clay