Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-26-2015, 11:55 AM   #1

Question Removing window frame 2013 Cougar HC

Well, we ordered the window to replace the one that fell out when on the road. How hard is it to get the old frame out? My husband took out all of the screws and took off the clamp ring. The frame doesn't budge. He is thinking about trying to put the new one in himself, but can't figure out how to remove the old frame. Do you have to pound on it??? Sure don't want to damage the fiberglass. It is the front bedroom egress window. Any help would be greatly appreciated. The dealer wants $85 an hour labor and said it would probably take 2 hours, and that is on top of the price of the new window.
Cougar HC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-26-2015, 04:10 PM   #2

The window frame is probably being held in by a bed of caulk the was put on the back of the outer frame before it was installed. You will need a very thin putty knife type off blade to work around the perimeter on the outside of the trailer. Go slow and keep it as flat as possible, maybe even put a layer of masking tape around the window so that you do not scratch the fiberglass. A hot air gun, like a hair drier can also help loosen the seal. Make sure you have the correct caulk/sealant to put on the new window before you install it also, NO SILICONE, and when tightening the screws work around the perimeter slowly tightening the screws.
renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 06:33 PM   #3

Probably need to cut seal with razor knife, should be a piece of cake. I removed my back glass to get some furniture in mine and I was a glass man most of my life. Should be like a few minutes to do
Bradrvguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 06:36 PM   #4

Probably has a seal that is built into frame and just needs a little help to break the seal
Bradrvguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 07:52 PM   #5

Removing window frame 2013 Cougar HC

There's putty tape sealing that window it will have a good grip just use some force and start on the Corners and push out. When you put new window in use the same dicor putty tape to reseal it. After if sets clean excess putty around window and run a bead of clear silicone along the top and sides of window with a wet finger.
rbleau6885 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 08:56 AM   #6

As usual, this is an awesome forum. My husband said to tell everyone who replied "thank you very much!" This has really helped a lot. Now we just have to wait for the window to get here.
Old 11-04-2015, 10:21 AM   #7

Question Another question.

Does anyone know, after you scrape the putty off, what do you prep the surface off to clean it before putting in the new window? Any help would be appreciated.
Old 11-04-2015, 12:26 PM   #8

Called Camping World.

Never mind. I called Camping World and they said mineral spirits or denatured alcohol.
Old 11-05-2015, 03:33 PM   #9

No silicone caulk.
minnow is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
window