Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-08-2017, 07:51 PM   #1

Renovating a used 5th wheel

I am in the process of deciding whether to buy a new or used 5th wheel for full-time living. I recently sold my class A that I bought new in 2014, and was disgusted at the depreciation and loss of $$$ to get out from under it.
Has anyone out there ever bought a used 5th wheel and then renovated the interior? It seems like buying used and turning it into exactly what you want in the interior would be less expensive than buying new, and suffer less depreciation.
How difficult and expensive is it to renovate the interior of a used 5th wheel? Is it a better option than buying new?
Many thanks in advance for any insight you can offer!
Earth Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-08-2017, 09:46 PM   #2

As with any renovation job. Cost would depend on MANY things. If you provide more info.... That will help in getting the right answers.
- What are you planning in renovating? Floors, walls, ceilings, appliances, electrical, plumbing, ect.....?
- Will you be doing this yourself or hiring a contractor?
- Materials... there are so many suppliers - cost will vary considerably.

As for the depreciation... IMHO - New units always depreciate more in the 1st few years - cars, trucks, RV's, boats, ect.... they are all alike.
ScottyBye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 11:03 PM   #3

While it may be cheaper to buy a used 5th wheel, gut out some of it and rebuild it like you want. You may actually take a bigger loss when sell it. Not every ones taste is the same and depending on what you change it may be too much for the next buyer.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 06:49 AM   #4

Thanks very much for your time in responding, Scottybye and Cumminsfan. Sorry to have been vague - I am just thinking of renovating the interior - wallpaper, maybe cabinetry and flooring. I want a beach-ey interior, not dark like many are. Augusta RV Luxe has a beautiful beach interior, but after suffering the loss of depreciation with my Thor Outlaw, I am wondering if it would be better to buy used, and just correct the interior for my taste. New, it is around $152,000, a few years old, I am seeing some at $75,000. So, buy new, or redecorate a used one?
Old 01-09-2017, 07:37 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earth Mama View Post
I am just thinking of renovating the interior - wallpaper, maybe cabinetry and flooring. , I am wondering if it would be better to buy used, and just correct the interior for my taste. New, it is around $152,000, a few years old, I am seeing some at $75,000. So, buy new, or redecorate a used one?

In that case. My choice would be easy. Renovation all the way.

Of coarse this is pending the used coach is in good working order all the way around.
Use any deficiencies found as either a bargaining tool or have repaired/replaced before making the deal.
ScottyBye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 07:56 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyBye View Post
In that case. My choice would be easy. Renovation all the way.

Of coarse this is pending the used coach is in good working order all the way around.
Use any deficiencies found as either a bargaining tool or have repaired/replaced before making the deal.

x2 no brainer.
mbridinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 09:18 AM   #7

Renovating a used 5th wheel

X3. We bought a used NuWa @ Kansas RV which is the old NuWa factory. We had the stove and microwave changed out, removed the fireplace and had cabinets made inside the openings. They used the original wood doors and still had original matching hardware and did it all quickly & reasonably $ wise. Can't tell it didn't come that way. It was 4 years old and looked great. It had good "bones" and many upgrades to suspension, brakes, inverter etc. We have been very happy.

2012 NuWay HitchHiker 363RSBDA, 2016 Ford F-350 Dually 6.7
Old 01-09-2017, 01:21 PM   #8
IC2

Depreciation is tough to take, especially when you have new units selling like the proverbial hotcakes. There are just too many used units on dealer's back rows now and yours will just be another to add to his inventory. Now, with that said, those used trailers, whether it's a 5er that requires you to also own a decent sized pick up or a TT that almost any pickup can haul can often be had for a reasonable price vs new.

Of course renovations also add to the equation and the sky is the limit there, or should I say the thickness of your wallet or credit line of your plastic. But you will not get back your dollars spent here either.

I personally like the idea of finding a quality trailer with no damage from water intrusion or accident then doing what I want. While I can do much of the needed work, not everyone has the skills, inclination or tools. In that case, it will cost you many dollars. 110 bucks/hour is the going labor rate locally for an RV dealership plus materials. Materials get especially expensive if they say XXX RV Parts Co. items vs say cabinets or sinks from your local kitchen cabinet supply or even Home Depot?Lowe's. Now, you say, can a builder or cabinet maker do the job - sure, but he may not be any less expensive in the long run unless he understands RV work but he will probably get the job done on your agreed upon schedule.

Then, while there aren't a lot of custom 5er builders, there are a few and they will put what you want/need together but they are pretty pricy and their delivery schedules may not meet your needs.

Good luck, whichever way you go
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 01:48 PM   #9

If you have the time, the skills needed, the tools & the place for a renovation go for it, particularly if you are planning to be in it for the long haul.

Understand what you are saying about wanting to brighten up an interior. So many of them look like a combo old library, lawyers office & a brothel.

One thing to keep in mind. No matter what you do, no matter what you put into it, when the time comes to sell it will still be a year ??, model ?? to the potential buyer.
Triangle Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 02:10 PM   #10

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earth Mama View Post
...but after suffering the loss of depreciation with my Thor Outlaw, I am wondering if it would be better to buy used...

you are asking for the same discount that the party that purchased your used coach did, it works both ways, don't be 'disgusted' by the process...
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 05:32 AM   #11

Thanks!

You have all given me a lot to consider. Many thanks for taking the time to help!
There is an RV show here in Atlanta next week, which I hope will enlighten me even more for my final decision. Also, I am thinking of taking a trip out to Augusta RV manufacturing site. I am in no rush - still working on downsizing my house, which is a big job. Thanks again to all, Jamie
Old 01-10-2017, 10:10 AM   #12

Something to be aware of is the GVW of the trailer you want to renovate. A residential fridge,Corian countertop and a hardwood floor could potentially put you over and change your weight distribution enough to overload one side or the axel(s).
Old 01-10-2017, 11:03 AM   #13

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
One thing to consider. If you mentioned taking a few year old Luxe ($150k) high end RV, maybe getting a "solid" used one for $75k, and changing out the interior to a beachy theme. The problem I see: So you go and take out the OEM cabinetry and fixtures and brighten it up to how you like it. Now say you go and try to sell it a few years later, people looking for a used Luxe with its rich looking interior now see it has been changed to a beach theme, I think it's going to be harder to sell or receive less money on a trade-in if you decide to change directions again.

It's gets very $$$ anytime you try to swap out of semi new Class A's or 5ers. Very easy to lose 50% of your investment in 3 years. You also have to get a truck well equipped to tow a high end 5er

Now on the other hand I have seen many Youtube channel RVers take older travel trailers and 5-10 year old 5ers and update the interior. Personally I like the darker rick woods found on some RV's. Everyone is different.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 01:42 AM   #14

What about warranty?

Thanks Quickshift and Superslif for your input. Another thought I am having is the value of the initial warranty and full replacement insurance. Used might not have a warranty at all. If I buy replacement value insurance, it would only cover the cost of the purchase, not the upgrades, right?
And if I understand correctly, the rate of depreciation slows after the first 5 years. Just need to be in it long enough to balance it all out, right?
Is my logic here correct? Bless you all for your help!

Tags
5th wheel