Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-02-2010, 12:18 PM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue74 View Post
So does this mean I should replace the tires on my 5th wheel before I take off for San Diego to Jasper in September? The trailer has not been moved since February 06 and the tires where new in 02 or 03 by the last owner they are Firestone.
So those 2002 or 2003 tires (have you actually checked the date code on them?) are 7 or 8 years old. If it were ME and MY fifth wheel, I'd replace those tires before any trip! YMMV, depending on how much risk you want to take.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-02-2010, 01:09 PM   #16
IC2

Those tires might even be 9 years old. My '06 5er had 'D' rated GY Marathon tires manufactured in early 3/05. It now has 'E' tires made in May(3)June(1) 2010 so am now happy. No, they aren't TT tires, but LTs'. Too many horror stories regardless of the brand about the TT tires and failures.
Old 08-05-2010, 12:16 AM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by IC2 View Post
Those tires might even be 9 years old. My '06 5er had 'D' rated GY Marathon tires manufactured in early 3/05. It now has 'E' tires made in May(3)June(1) 2010 so am now happy. No, they aren't TT tires, but LTs'. Too many horror stories regardless of the brand about the TT tires and failures.
You may asking for trouble using non-TT tires. Regular car/truck tires are not designed to handle the abnormal stresses that TT put on a tire.
Old 08-05-2010, 05:46 AM   #18
IC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperGewl View Post
You may asking for trouble using non-TT tires. Regular car/truck tires are not designed to handle the abnormal stresses that TT put on a tire.

That is a subject that beyond saying you are absolutely wrong, is as far as I will go
Old 08-05-2010, 07:05 AM   #19

Texas Boomers Club
LT tires are OEM equipment on many/most larger 5th wheels. The Goodyear Wrangler HT and even the G-rated Goodyear G614 RST all-steel-construction trailer-only tire carry LT designations as does the all-steel-construction Michelin XPS Rib which Michelin recommends for commercial trailer service.

To illustrate, see HERE and notice the LT235/85R-16 designation.

Rusty
Old 08-06-2010, 08:22 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyJC View Post
LT tires are OEM equipment on many/most larger 5th wheels. The Goodyear Wrangler HT and even the G-rated Goodyear G614 RST all-steel-construction trailer-only tire carry LT designations as does the all-steel-construction Michelin XPS Rib which Michelin recommends for commercial trailer service.

To illustrate, see HERE and notice the LT235/85R-16 designation.

Rusty
Michelin tires are not used as Original Equipment on any RV trailer applications. I’ve seen the XPS RIB referenced by many posters in various forums as being recommended by Michelin for commercial trailer use but have yet to find any reference to that effect in the current Michelin manuals (2010). If someone has a point of reference to support the commercial recommendation from Michelin please post it so I can add it to my reference files.

FastEagle
Old 08-06-2010, 09:05 AM   #21

Texas Boomers Club
I don't know about their current recommendations, but the XPS Rib was listed by Michelin for commercial trailer service when I bought mine in 2002. I know the XPS Rib is still listed for commercial truck service - I have 6 of them on my dually.

Insofar as RV applications are concerned, please refer to the notes at the top of the Load and Pressure tab HERE.

A telling excerpt from these notes:

Quote:
These tables are applicable for all RV axles, whether or not they are power-driven.

Rusty
Old 08-06-2010, 02:24 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyJC View Post
I don't know about their current recommendations, but the XPS Rib was listed by Michelin for commercial trailer service when I bought mine in 2002. I know the XPS Rib is still listed for commercial truck service - I have 6 of them on my dually.

Insofar as RV applications are concerned, please refer to the notes at the top of the Load and Pressure tab HERE.

A telling excerpt from these notes:

Rusty
All tires referred to by Michelin for RV service are for power driven RVs. The tag axle falls into that category. Michelin does not list any of their products for RV trailer service. Michelin goes to great length to depict the types of vehicles their tires are designed for. In the reference material provided in the reference below you can find a complete listing of their depictions.

http://www.michelintruck.com/michelintruck/toolbox/reference-material.jsp

FastEagle
Old 08-06-2010, 02:40 PM   #23

Texas Boomers Club
Are you trying to say that no one should use a Michelin tire on a TT or a 5th wheel, even a trailer-specific tire such as my current XTAs? (X - radial construction truck/RV application [ref XRV], T - trailer axle position, A - long haul - see HERE .) How exactly does an XTA know whether it's supporting a high-cube cargo trailer or a 5th wheel RV? Perhaps, as far as Michelin is concerned, a trailer tire is a trailer tire, whether it's a horse trailer, hot-shot gooseneck or 5th wheel RV.

Thanks for your concern, but I vote with my wallet, and I've never had a problem with the XPS Ribs on our previous 5th wheel or the XTAs on our current 5th wheel. Wish I could say the same for the "trailer-specific RV approved" Goodyear Marathons and G614s.....

As always, YMMV. Your money - your choice.

Rusty
Old 08-06-2010, 09:02 PM   #24

Have to agree with Rusty. After going thru 27 Goodyears LT load range E Wranglers with tread seperation (yes 27) I put Michelin xps on my 5er aprx two and half years ago and no more problem. 5er is kountryaire triple axle with morRyde suspension and was orginally equipped with LT tires.
Old 08-06-2010, 09:40 PM   #25

OK the rest of the story.

They are Firestone Steeltex if remember correctly in a size of LT235-75 R16. I almost made it home today to check but will have to wait for a day or two more. I am guessing as to when they where installed on the trailer until I get home and look through the paperwork the couple gave me with the trailer.

I have talked myself out of replacing them until I get the chance to pull them off the trailer and look real close for any checking or other signs of trouble. I have never had to add air or had a flat where it is setting. I know that is no proof of not having a problem.

The other thing is the tires on my dually are about the same age and brand and size again with no problems. So if I was to replace them all (11 tires) because of age it would be a bit of a challenge before vacation which is going to be about 5000 miles.

So after looking I will decide if I will be replacing them.

Paul
Old 08-06-2010, 10:44 PM   #26

Sorry, After reading what I was going to post I decided to pull out of this topic.

FastEagle
Old 08-07-2010, 06:54 PM   #27
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
This is now being discussed here.

Closed Thread