Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-26-2010, 07:42 PM   #1

Replace 6 year old 5th wheel tires?

We haven't used our 30' 2002 5th wheel in about 6 years. It's been in our garage. The tires have almost 7000 miles on them and a friend says we should replace them after 5 years if we intend to use the 5th wheel again, which we do. Is that true?
Matt
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-26-2010, 08:15 PM   #2

I would replace them. Tires age just sitting also.
Don't replace them until just before you're going
to use the trailer.
Milt
Old 04-26-2010, 10:14 PM   #3

If they have not been exposed to sunlight, properly inflated to 10 psi above sidewall maximum for storage, they may still be safe for use. The only way to know is to have them dismounted and inspected by a tire shop, and certified for use if they pass inspection. Even this does not insure against a tire failure.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Old 04-27-2010, 06:49 AM   #4

Assuming if your tires are original, I would definitely replace them before using the 5th wheel. One blowout can cause more damage than the cost of all new tires, not to mention the hassle of dealing with a blowout.
Old 04-27-2010, 08:54 PM   #5

After rereading the OP it looks like the tires in question could be more than 8 years old. You need to get the size information and go to the local trailer tire dealer and get some replacements.

FastEagle
Old 04-28-2010, 06:24 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
You can pay for New tires now or you can pay for New tires and major repairs to your 5th wheel later when you are stranded on the side of the road or worse yet in an accident due to a blowout at 50 mph

It's your choise but I would replace them before useing it. 5 years is about the max they say, even if they were covered they still were holding the weight of the trailer and not being rolled so they will have flat spots. You should also get the wheel bearings repacksed while you at it. You may be suprised at how bad they are from just sitting there.
Old 04-28-2010, 09:47 AM   #7

Thank you all for your advice. You're right, they must be 8 years old and I will replace them when the time comes, in...JULY!!
I hope I can fit 16' tires and wheels in their place. Being retired money is tight but I'll feel better and it is cheaper than the alternative.
Old 06-14-2010, 05:08 PM   #8

Take your trailer to a scale and weigh it, if you are considering 16" wheels and tires-I just did that. Measure the distance between axles (mine was 33 1/2").

Based on the weight of your trailer ( I looked at your profile ), you can probably go with LT225/75/16e. Load range E will probably be overkill based on the description on your trailer but better safe than sorry is my opinion. I got my wheels (16") from Etrailer because they are made in the USA by Dexstar and shipped free. If you decide to order from them, give yourself a lot of lead time as they only order wheels when they have an order me thinks. If I remember, the 225's are 29.5" high so the clearance between tires will be the distance between axles (-) the height of the tires you select.
Old 06-14-2010, 07:59 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Oh yeah, Don't forget the Spare tire also.
Yeah it may have never even been on the ground and I bet it's almost flat from sitting there for 5 or more years. It may look good but it's part of the same batch as the others, chuck it before it causes problems.
Old 06-15-2010, 04:58 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
The tires are effected by both UV and ozone. Covering the tires helps with the UV, but not much can be done about the ozone. The rubber in the tires have a protectant in the rubber and it works to the surface as the tires are flexed during use. If it sets, the protectant compound is not worked to the surface.

Generally it is recommended to replace the tires at 5 to 7 years of age. If you have a tire come apart, the steel belt can do a tremendous amount of damage. A friend in Oklahoma had 6 year old Firestone (Fireboomers) Steeltex tires on his class c and when one let go it did $15,000.00 worth of damage to the rear of the coach. Needless to say, he was really upset.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
Old 08-02-2010, 01:27 AM   #11

So does this mean I should replace the tires on my 5th wheel before I take off for San Diego to Jasper in September? The trailer has not been moved since February 06 and the tires where new in 02 or 03 by the last owner they are Firestone. I know they are 16” but not sure what size, guess I will have to wait till I get back home to find out and order a set. Will have to use the trailer more and not set as much.

Paul
Old 08-02-2010, 05:15 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
As long as you're taking the wheels off it's a good time to check brake magnets, shoes and lube the bearings....
Old 08-02-2010, 11:18 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptPat View Post
As long as you're taking the wheels off it's a good time to check brake magnets, shoes and lube the bearings....

Need to do that also but having a hard time talking me into it with triple digit temperatures!
Old 08-02-2010, 12:02 PM   #14

If you have a "D" or "E" rated tire replace them with a higher rated tire. "G" is not too heavy. Most tires on RV's are too light weight. Forget what they say about the weight on the hitch. The trailer is still bouncing heavily on the tires. I just changed from "G" rated to "J" rated for my 15,000 lb 5th wheel. That is a true scale weight. Now instead of carrying the 15,000 lbs. (G) it will carry 19,000 lbs. (J). I had 2 blowouts in a year with the "G" 4 year old tires. It was time to go heavier. Aprox. $2800.00 as I needed to get new rims to go from 16" to 17.5". 17.5" is the size "J" rated Michelins come in.
Closed Thread