Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-10-2019, 08:44 AM   #1

Send a message via Yahoo to Bill98116
Replace carpet under dining table

I've never liked having carpet under the table. The rest of the floor is vinyl which I like, both the pattern and the ease of cleaning. I understand the dinette is on a slide and there is a lip which the carpet covers. I'm wondering if the carpet can be removed and replaced with vinyl like on the floor? Anyone ever done that? Thanks
Bill
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-10-2019, 08:55 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill98116 View Post
I've never liked having carpet under the table. The rest of the floor is vinyl which I like, both the pattern and the ease of cleaning. I understand the dinette is on a slide and there is a lip which the carpet covers. I'm wondering if the carpet can be removed and replaced with vinyl like on the floor? Anyone ever done that? Thanks
Bill
Highland Ridge does it.

https://www.highlandridgerv.com/prod...heels/OF313RKS

Making it look nice may be a challenge. Having a nice edge look on the flap would be the hardest.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 11:03 AM   #3

Send a message via Yahoo to Bill98116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post
Highland Ridge does it.

That is exactly what I'd like to do. It looks nice.
Bill

https://www.highlandridgerv.com/prod...heels/OF313RKS

Making it look nice may be a challenge. Having a nice edge look on the flap would be the hardest.
Looks like some sort of trim along the edge
Bill
Bill98116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 11:46 AM   #4

I replaced the carpet in my dinette slide with self adhesive vinyl flooring tiles. The carpet was just attached to a 3/4" plywood floor, so I stripped the carpet off and stuck down the tiles. Ended up looking fairly nice. Unfortunately, I don't have an pictures. Mine had a 2x3 wrapped in carpet as the face, so I just put that back on as the face. Made sweeping the dinette a little more tedious, but provided the transition from the carpeted main area to the hard floor in the dinette
Old 01-13-2019, 10:01 PM   #5

Installing carpet or vinyl on your RV

Last March I stripped all the carpet out of my 1995 ALPENLITE, western RV 29RK 5th wheel. I asked everyone how to get the old carpet out from under the 14 feet by 42 inch slide out. It was a total head scratcher and did out smart it in the end....with out removing the slide out....which you never want to do..way to heavy. I think the slide outs were built and dropped in place on the inside before being hooked to the slide assembly. 6 inch front trim pieces are screwed and glued....wouldn't come off.
The trick is there is a NOSE piece of wood under the carpet of the slide out. When you remove that wood nose, you can see where the End of the carpet was attached.I used a wide jaw set of VISE GRIPS...and clamped the old carpet there and pried it out. Then when you put the new carpet under the slide out, use a kick stretcher and staple it every 4 inches. Then you put the nosing wood piece on above it, at the nose of the slide out , which covers the area you just stapled to keep the carpet in place. Then I rolled the top slide carpet over the nose an stapled it to the nose. I will only say for myself, when I started this job...I had no idea how I was going to get the old carpet out and the new carpet back under the slide out. And I also used padding except on the edges. I put vinyl in the kitchen and entry way. Took me about 70 hours and $500 for materials. (purchase materials and clean up.) I also used a Narrow stapler Bostich Air nailer. Dont ever try to use a hand stapler...your hands will never take it. I think the whole trailer took about 700 staples. I did the bedroom hall and living room and 14 foot pop out. A 29 ft trailer took about 22 yards it seems as I recall, to keep the seem running the same direction....Your largest challenge will be doing the laundry door in the floor of the hall way. That was like doing a Ribicks Cube making the cuts and having the door seal properly. I have a couple of photos upon request...don't think they sent on IRV?
Attached Images
File Type: bmp acarpet.BMP (1.53 MB, 44 views)
alpenlite29 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, carpet, replace